Engine knock dealer says new motor

g ross

Equipment
Kubota 3301 front loader and backhoe attachment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
Hello all new here I had a knocking noise on my kubota L3301 (970) total hours
Dealer tested cylinders #1&#2 2(410 psi) #3(405psi) injectors were sent out for inspection all were fine and cleaned
The Kubota dealer in Jax says new motor and kubota won’t let them rebuild etc has to b3 a new $11k kubota motor
I have taken it back to the dealer where I bought it down in Hastings hoping for a better second opinion hopefully today
Im looking for any advice on other options I’m hoping to find a rebuilt engine or get mine repaired somewhere trustworthy
I will be calling MG industrial today for a engine price, I think they could do the swap out hopefully
Any advice I would very much appreciate as. Am down for a few months work due to this expected
Attached is the bill with details
Happy holidays

thank you
Gary

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Man I'd be 'upset' with less than 1000hrs and being told 'need new engine'....
Look for a shop that rebuilds forklifts or semis ?
It sounds(no pun) that you may have spun a bearing ? A rather 'simple' repair as long as chrankshaft isn't scored. For the price of an oil pan gasket and an hour labour,you should confirm/deny THAT is where the knock is coming from.
Hopefully others with that tractor or engine will reply soon with their expertise.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The tech writer was just practicing their Engrish
This is the first time I have heard of a bad "risk" pin.
A few on here and TBN have had problems with "zerts" however.
I feel for the OP on what looks to be a costly problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Why would Kubota not "let" them rebuild engine? They have no say in the matter if its not warranty.

Reactions: 1 user

g ross

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
Theyv
Why would Kubota not "let" them rebuild engine? They have no say in the matter if its not warranty.
I hope it doesn’t have a bad “risk” pin 😱
Was told to do an oil analysis and have the injectors rechecked possibly by the right shop
No idea where he sent them out for two days ?
They are electronic injectors btw

g ross

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
Man I'd be 'upset' with less than 1000hrs and being told 'need new engine'....
Look for a shop that rebuilds forklifts or semis ?
It sounds(no pun) that you may have spun a bearing ? A rather 'simple' repair as long as chrankshaft isn't scored. For the price of an oil pan gasket and an hour labour,you should confirm/deny THAT is where the knock is coming from.
Hopefully others with that tractor or engine will reply soon with their expertise.
Upset yes more like felt hostage and lost a family member
Man I rely on this machine for our homestead
Terrible situation but I hav3 faith it’s gonna work out
So hard to find honest peo0le anymore
This forum is great I’m learning fast what to do about it to make the right decision as I am poor and retired

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
They have a say with the dealer. They could pull the dealer's sellers license if they don't comply.

I would also look for a diesel engine rebuild shop. Kubota engines are pretty common hopefully you can find one in FL.

g ross

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
I’m
hoping the other dealer who has it now for a second opinion but a lot of friends helping possible might be a rebuild but I’m hoping injectors 🙏🏻

g ross

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
Upset yes more like felt hostage and lost a family member
Man I rely on this machine for our homestead
Terrible situation but I hav3 faith it’s gonna work out
So hard to find honest peo0le anymore
This forum is great I’m learning fast what to do about it to make the right decision as I am poor and retired
I was told the oil pan is part of the fame not sure how difficult that would be to remove and repair from the bottom but it makes sense to me that it could be repaired instead of motor replacement
I think oil analysis is my next step

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I paid my way thru college working on the assembly-line at an aircraft engine rebuilder. While attending flight training I worked as a Toyota dealership tech and made many deep engine repairs.
I have NEVER seen a “spun” main or failed rod bearing that did not require the crankshaft to be removed for re-work or complete replacement.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A turning of the crankshaft or even a complete replacement still has to be a lot less than the cost of a new engine. The only reason that I could see that it wouldn't be repairable, was if parts were not available.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Why a new engine...
...probably because Kubota doesn't train their dealer techs on HOW to tear down, rebuild engines. They'd also have to have a 1/4 shop dedicated to it and lots of special 'engine rebuilding tools', and it's not just ONE model of engine.
For Kubota to warranty their work/parts, they insist on a 'crate' engine. $11K for a new motor sounds steep, but they'd include removal from the tractor and installing a 100% complete new engine(NO parts from your engine),plus a couple hours testing ?? Be interesting to see if YOU or they keep the 'dead ' engine(check the invoice !!!). Great scam here is shops keeping YOUR OEM cats,even though they are YOURS.
I know a rebuild shop quoted me $5K CDN to rebuild my Buds 4BD-153 diesel 6-8 years ago and that's AFTER I dropped it off at their shop. THEY would not remove from my forklift....

g ross

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Hilliard Fl
I paid my way thru college working on the assembly-line at an aircraft engine rebuilder. While attending flight training I worked as a Toyota dealership tech and made many deep engine repairs.
I have NEVER seen a “spun” main or failed rod bearing that did not require the crankshaft to be removed for re-work or complete replacement.
what if its not spun main or a rod bearing?
im curious now if it still might be an injector? they are electric was informed that only few shops (recommended by Kubota) can do a correct diagnosis mine was done locally in Jax 2 days
just doesn't make sense to me I've babied this machine at my farm with only 970 hours

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think an engine is not rebuilt by the dealer because the government wants old engines destroyed and equipment compliant with EPA regulations. So a new engine is sold/installed and the old one is destroyed with proof to Kubota. So if a new one is available it must be EPA compliant so the 11K cost.

I'm sure Lugbolt or others will comment.

I would be inquiring with the second shop as to WHY they come up with the diagnoses they do. You need to have facts not opinions.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hello all new here I had a knocking noise on my kubota L3301 (970) total hours
Dealer tested cylinders #1&#2 2(410 psi) #3(405psi) injectors were sent out for inspection all were fine and cleaned
The Kubota dealer in Jax says new motor and kubota won’t let them rebuild etc has to b3 a new $11k kubota motor
I have taken it back to the dealer where I bought it down in Hastings hoping for a better second opinion hopefully today
Im looking for any advice on other options I’m hoping to find a rebuilt engine or get mine repaired somewhere trustworthy
I will be calling MG industrial today for a engine price, I think they could do the swap out hopefully
Any advice I would very much appreciate as. Am down for a few months work due to this expected
Attached is the bill with details
Happy holidays

thank you
Gary
If the engine is out of warranty, Kubota has no say as to whether the engine is repaired, rebuilt, or replaced and would not tell a dealer not to repair one. Your dealer is just trying to sell you a new engine rather than open up the one you have.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
They have a say with the dealer. They could pull the dealer's sellers license if they don't comply.

I would also look for a diesel engine rebuild shop. Kubota engines are pretty common hopefully you can find one in FL.
Kubota does not dictate how or what to do to repair an out-of-warranty unit as long as it does not create an unsafe condition.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Why a new engine...
...probably because Kubota doesn't train their dealer techs on HOW to tear down, rebuild engines. They'd also have to have a 1/4 shop dedicated to it and lots of special 'engine rebuilding tools', and it's not just ONE model of engine.
For Kubota to warranty their work/parts, they insist on a 'crate' engine. $11K for a new motor sounds steep, but they'd include removal from the tractor and installing a 100% complete new engine(NO parts from your engine),plus a couple hours testing ?? Be interesting to see if YOU or they keep the 'dead ' engine(check the invoice !!!). Great scam here is shops keeping YOUR OEM cats,even though they are YOURS.
I know a rebuild shop quoted me $5K CDN to rebuild my Buds 4BD-153 diesel 6-8 years ago and that's AFTER I dropped it off at their shop. THEY would not remove from my forklift....
What "lots of special engine rebuilding tools" does a dealership have to have to rebuild a Kubota engine????
What size of a shop does a dealer need to have "to dedicate a 1/4 of it" to rebuild an engine?????

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I think an engine is not rebuilt by the dealer because the government wants old engines destroyed and equipment compliant with EPA regulations. So a new engine is sold/installed and the old one is destroyed with proof to Kubota. So if a new one is available it must be EPA compliant so the 11K cost.

I'm sure Lugbolt or others will comment.

I would be inquiring with the second shop as to WHY they come up with the diagnoses they do. You need to have facts not opinions.
The only time an engine has to be destroyed is when you are replacing a pre-tier 4 engine. You are required by Federal law to drill a hole through the block, into a cylinder near the serial number and submit a clear picture of it. Until Kubota has the picture, they will not send an engine to you.

The L3301 engine is a tier engine, so no issues there. A new engine would come with a new ECM and a new DOC muffler included.

As far as rebuilding an engine, there are no restrictions by Kubota and the repair is warranted by the dealer. There are also independent rebuilders who offer a rebuilt engine exchange or send them your engine and they will rebuild it and return it to you.