Engine and HST

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Im a mechanic by trade on automobiles and Factory equipment. Not exactly the same as tractors, however Im not a complete amateur on diesels. My question to you is how many hours are a tractor like a L4701 and HST rated for? I keep seeing the Kubota diesel are good in the 4000 hour ball bark which may be true or false depending on how they are maintained. But what are the HST hours rated for??

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Take care of it, and keep up on the regular maintenance and it will last a lifetime.

I have some Kubota engines in some equipment at work with over 10,000 hours on them in a few years. Still running strong :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
They don't have official "hour ratings" to my knowledge. At least I've never seen anything listed in any of Kubota's publications. Have seen tractors with 9000 hours plus. Have seen them completely demolished in 20 from negligent operators.

Most don't maintain them well enough and/or often enough and they still last a long time.

HST? Don't see very many failed. The old ZD mowers yes. Everything else not so much. #1 cause is overheating and #2 cause is lack of maintenance (run out of oil, no oil, wrong oil, water, etc). In close to 30 years messing with Kubota I've replaced 2 tractor HST's and I think 4 or 5 ZD 25 & ZD28 series mower HST's. Of the two tractors, one was a victim of an oil cooler bypass (ran a stick through the cooler, so consumer bypassed it with hose)-and that caused it to overheat and die a slow death and the other was a BX that had been missing the HST fan for many years; and was used VERY hard (as a bulldozer basically) on a daily basis. Most times the HST's outlast the engines for several reasons, usually maintenance related.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
My Husqvarna riding mower does not have any maintenance option for the HST, it is a sealed unit. So that tells me they are confident that it will last a long time. Mine is about 10 years old and going strong.