Emergency brake

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
I operated the tractor today for about 15 mins. moving forward and backwards with the emergency brake on. I was moving quite slowly so I didn't notice anything wrong until I smelled a burning smell. What do you think? any potential issues? Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I operated the tractor today for about 15 mins. moving forward and backwards with the emergency brake on. I was moving quite slowly so I didn't notice anything wrong until I smelled a burning smell. What do you think? any potential issues? Thanks!

Many have done the same thing, the E brake is the same as the brake itself. So does the brakes still work? You might need to adjust the brake to take up the wear - or then again check the pads if there are very badly worn. I dont think it is the end of the world, but I would make sure all is working.

Some have placed an idiot light on the dash panel to "remind" that the brake is on.:)

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Many have done the same thing, the E brake is the same as the brake itself. So does the brakes still work? You might need to adjust the brake to take up the wear - or then again check the pads if there are very badly worn. I dont think it is the end of the world, but I would make sure all is working.

Some have placed an idiot light on the dash panel to "remind" that the brake is on.:)

Hey that's a good thought. I'll check the braking action as I plow another storm heading our way tonight.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
That burning smell was just the brake linings getting hot. Likely you didn't do too much wear, just check and adjust both brakes per manual. Also adjust take up on the E-brake, again, as per manual...:D

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
That burning smell was just the brake linings getting hot. Likely you didn't do too much wear, just check and adjust both brakes per manual. Also adjust take up on the E-brake, again, as per manual...:D

Hey Dave, we're neighbors! Thanks for the suggestions.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MY friend you aint the first and you wont be the last,,, yes I have done it on the BX too,, no problem but something to remember next time

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
If anyone here has put a light or a buzzer on a BX, I'd be curious what they used and how they did it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If I were doing it, I'd use an old tail light switch off of an american pickup, and a light and buzzer combo, from surpluscenter.com. Trick is mounting the switch, somewhere on the PB linkage...:D

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Dang, I love this site! All of you guys are as entertaining as you are enlightening. I be getting my tractor (BX25D) in less than two weeks but I've got a list of stuff to upgrade on it that might take 6 months to complete. I suspect I'd better pace myself or I won't get much time operating it. Thanks for all of the ideas, guys!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As much as I admire Paul's ideas and workmanship that approach is not going to work on a BX which doesn't have an emergency brake light on the dash.
Ah.....but the light can be placed there! the trick is to have the brake pedal when pushed all the way forward in the locked position to activate a push button type, normally open switch. Add a little red light on the dash .....and boo-yaa.....

now the only problem IS looking at the dash !:D:)

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
Coming on this party a little late. I see you already figured out that no damage was done. That's a good thing!

Now save yerself the time & money of purchasing and installing various "reminders".

When I *set* my brakes, the tractor ain't going anywhere by accident.
Maybe if ya put in low gear, and full throttle, butt I think the clutch would go first :)

If ya can't do that with your tractor, then something needs adjusting.

Just my .02 :)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I put a low oil warning light on a wood processor.it was a 4" aircraft landing light in a rubber housing with a red lens-pointing directly at the operator.it was so bright you could see it in broad daylight with sunglasses on.there is no excuse for running it low on oil now.if I was repeatedly leaving parking brake on I would do that on my tractor.its all flat here,i rarely use brakes at all.