Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a dump trailer that I built using what I had laying around. It's okay, but it won't lift much because the cylinder is too small, it's direct lift and the geometry is less than optimal.

I want to build my own scissors hoist and go with a shorter stroke but much larger diameter cylinder. I have a bunch of pictures to go by and I've built a wooden mockup powered by an air cylinder that seems to work okay, but I'd REALLY like to have a set of proven plans to go by.

Has anybody dealt with these folks and have input or perhaps another source for plans?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have a 6' x 12' dump trailer that uses a single 4"x 24"x 1-1/2" cylinder and I am pleasantly surprised how much this can dump. It will dump 3 yards of stone that is North of 6000 lbs. Maybe you can just upgrade your cylinder?

As far as ordering the plans, I would save my money and put it into the project instead. Nothing wrong with your method, WAD (wood aided design). Many engineers still resort to the old CAD method, cardboard aided design.

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

The problem is, I used a REALLY long cylinder I had laying around, but it's not very powerful as cylinder diameter is quite small. Less than 2" I think.

Based on input from that other tractor board, I went ahead and bought the plans. I've spent a lot more than $20 before and had less to show for it! Downloaded the PDF and it's very complete and will simplify the planning stages for me immensely.

I'm going to price up the steel tomorrow and I'll probably have my buds at the steel place cut the two lower arms that require some fairly complex shapes.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
No problem with that. Post pictures as you go.

One thing that I hope they have in the plans is a post to hold the box at an angle when parked so the box doesn't collect rain and snow. If not, I'll post some pictures of mine to give you a visual. Good luck!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Short update:

1. I priced having the steel supply place cut the lower arms. GASP! I'll be doing that myself, my time is WAY cheaper than their time.

2. Stopped by Tractor Supply yesterday with my measuring tape. They have a 3x8 cylinder that will work and a 15% off sale for veterans tomorrow. Surplus Center has a slightly better cylinder (3-1/2 diameter), but shipping is a deal killer.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Picked up the steel this morning. $98.xx. Fellers at the steel shop were real helpful too, let me rummage through their cutoffs to save them having to cut a foot of this and a foot of that off full sticks. I think the salesman had a little trouble with his addition too (in my favor) but he just looked at me and said "Looks right to me, Chief!"

I had some of the more common stuff laying around, Schedule 40 pipe and 2x2x1/4 angle so that saved me a couple of bucks.

Stopped by TSC. They're having a 15% off deal for veterans tomorrow (Veteran's Day). I asked the manager if there was any way that could be stretched a bit so I could pick up what I needed today and not have to make another 50 mile round trip tomorrow.

She said "You're here today, I'll have the cashier fix you up when you're ready."

Sweet! Saved myself about $25, 50 miles and a couple of hours.

hank2000

Equipment
Kabota L3000F
Aug 27, 2016
louisville
Picked up the steel this morning. $98.xx. Fellers at the steel shop were real helpful too, let me rummage through their cutoffs to save them having to cut a foot of this and a foot of that off full sticks. I think the salesman had a little trouble with his addition too (in my favor) but he just looked at me and said "Looks right to me, Chief!"

I had some of the more common stuff laying around, Schedule 40 pipe and 2x2x1/4 angle so that saved me a couple of bucks.

Stopped by TSC. They're having a 15% off deal for veterans tomorrow (Veteran's Day). I asked the manager if there was any way that could be stretched a bit so I could pick up what I needed today and not have to make another 50 mile round trip tomorrow.

She said "You're here today, I'll have the cashier fix you up when you're ready."

Sweet! Saved myself about $25, 50 miles and a couple of hours.

Please post pics as you go. Thinking about building one my self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Today's Progress: Most of the fussy bits laid out, drilled and cut to shape, cleaned up with a flap disk.

I'm not really set up for working with steel much over 1/4 or 3/8 thick, some of this is 3/4 and was REALLY slow going. My Milwaukee chop saw did NOT like the 3/4, wound up cutting it on this:

A Milwaukee portable bandsaw, mounted on a home-made stand with a table. Works really well for cutting out small pieces. Still slow on the 3/4 stuff, but better than the chop saw.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You can invest in a 10 tpi blade for your saw if you have to cut some thicker material. Will speed things up a little bit.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Got started on some of the weldments. Would've been a little further along, but I mis-measured one of the 1-1/2 x 3/16 arms and don't have another piece of strap steel handy so I'll have to get that. Also need a piece of 1/2" Schedule 40 pipe I thought I had laying around but can't find.

Might have to look into one of those steel-cutting blades, if it'll work on my abrasive chop saw motor. Not sure if they run at the same RPM or not.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Good point on the pictures. They're actually on my personal site, just trying to save you some bandwidth.

I'll upload the pictures of the actual build steps as I go along.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Good point on the pictures. ....I'll upload the pictures of the actual build steps as I go along.
thanks for the uploads.

... They're actually on my personal site...
that's a great way to get the pics to post larger than the upload allows. Upload serves as a back up in that case. Thanks again.

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
No progress today, spent the day chasing materials - do you know how hard it is to find a 1-1/4-12 hex nut out here in the tundra? :eek:

Then got home to realize I'd bought the wrong dang wire for my MIG welder. Gaahhh.

But then, I'm retired and there's always tomorrow.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Upper and lower main assemblies finished, just need to make the pivot for the bottom one.

Then it will be major noodling time laying on my back under the trailer deciding how to mount it.

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Finished up the lower pivot weldment and assembled the hoist this morning.

Hoist measures 4.5" closed and 39" open, measured from center-to-center on the mounting points. I was a little concerned as I substituted an 8" stroke cylinder for the 10" stroke specified in the plans due to availability.

When I first started pencil-whipping this idea, I determined that 36" of lift would be adequate, so 39" is fine.

I made two changes to the plans: I added grease zerks to both upper and lower pivots and I changed the fixed end cylinder mounting from a bolt and nut to a removable pin with a hairpin retainer. Easier to take out if needed.

So now on to figuring out the mounts on the trailer.

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Body removed from trailer, old lift system removed.

New cross member with lower scissors mounting point fabbed up and installed.

Next step is to reinstall the body and mark the final location of the upper scissors mount.

Attachments