Dual battery installation B8200 etc.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
good evening all, i am about to jump into another project which has a bit more of an important usage for my now.
I would like to run a dual or multiple battery setup on my B8200 as the need for 12v power has now increased and will probably exceed the limitations of the B8200 basic setup.
I 'll need to be powering its winch more often and for longer periods if possible so extra juice needed for that, also have a trailer with 12v power requirements etc , so same again extra power needed for that.
Extra tractor work lamps are goint to have to be installed for front and rear nighttime work.

I have no issues doing all the electrical work this entails but would like to get some more indepth views on the best way to go on this.
such as best type of batteries, battery charge management systems etc, cabling types, and just general pro's and cons of this sort of project.

rgds
rob

oh allmost forgot, any pics you have on similar setups would be nice.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Rob, I believe you already have replaced the dynamo with an alternator so that you will have the capacity to charge both batteries properly. Am I correct?

You will want to put in a dual battery isolator into your system. Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-90-AMP-DUAL-MULTI-2-TWO-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-Marine-RV-EMS-/161202557550

If you have the capacity to charge both batteries, you a most the way there. A battery mount to secure it, some HD battery cables and the isolator to tie the two batteries to a common point (the isolator) then back to the alternator/regulator output.

DONE !!! ;)

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi Dan, my B8200 has the factory optional 420w alternator fitted which i think may be specific to the UK models, and its was on the tractor when i purchased it.

My original plan some time ago was to upgrade it in the same way as i did my B7100 charging system, but after looking into it further i then found out i allready had the 420w alt fitted from the factory, that was a bonus.:D:cool:

anyway that helps with the basis of my project, just need help with the rest:confused:

rob

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just replace the stock style battery with a marine deep cycle battery, it will run a winch for a long time.
But if you really want a dual battery setup get a dual battery isolator, that allows you too hook up to optional loads like the winch without draining down the main battery yet will still get charged buy the normal system, they are very easy to install just a few wires.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Sorry Rob, I forgot that you have multiple rigs. I was stuck in B7100 mode when I replied you your request. :D With your alternator output you are good to go.

The isolator is the key piece for your application. Go with a deep cycle battery for your 2nd battery and you will be able to run your aux. battery down to almost nothing, and still be able to recharge it. As long as you wire your powered accessories directly from the 2nd battery the isolator will keep the two systems separate and still provide charging current to both batteries when the tractor is running.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I agree with Wolfman on this - put in the biggest baddest battery that will fit and forget about a bunch of switches, mounts, etc. When you are winching, leave the tractor run. When the lights first start to go dim, start the tractor. Take the $$ you save and buy LED lights.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
The drawback to a isolater is both batteries can't be used for starting . A marine style switch gives the option of selecting one or both.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
If you use a large relay for this purpose, you can have a switch dictate when you want the batteries in parallel. If your starting battery is weak, you can flip the switch and the batteries are connected together. Typically you only want it engaged when the engine is running so that both batteries get charged.

If you use 2 identical batteries you can keep them connected continuously to have double the run time. I'd only do this if you install a digital voltmeter or know you will never drain them both (sounds like you really only need 1 large one). Computerless diesels have no current draw so the full 40a of the alternator goes directly to charging the battery/s

Here is a 200a relay for this purpose....
http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-200-Battery-Relay-Isolator/dp/B001HBYXVS