Draft Control

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
The MX5800 has an option for draft control. Would that be useful in any way in a non farming situation like maintaining a gravel driveway?

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
My previous tractors did not have draft control. I ended up many times setting the height I wanted and then shutting off the valve to the 3PH to lock it in place while brush hogging. On one tractor, I'd actually chain the 3PH up to keep it from drifting down while mowing.

Now, with draft control, I have not run into that problem.

If I have to pick the implement up at the end of a pass in order to turn around, I know where to place it for the next pass. Much easier.

I didn't know what draft control was, but I like it.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Draft or sensitvity. The idea of how it works is that the top link mount has a feed back valve or rod back to the valve. When set, the top link will pull on the rod when enough load is present or the implement is causing traction loss and then it will pickup the implement up enough to restore traction or to prevent stalling.

Pat

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I don't know what a draft control is but if it stops the 3pth from creeping down that would be great.

My old tractor creeps down really fast even with the knob locked.

I am not sure how I would go about fixing that?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I don't know what a draft control is but if it stops the 3pth from creeping down that would be great.

My old tractor creeps down really fast even with the knob locked.

I am not sure how I would go about fixing that?
Sounds as if your tractors rockshaft(3 pt) piston seal is leaking which will probably require R&R of rockshaft housing.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
The MX5800 has an option for draft control. Would that be useful in any way in a non farming situation like maintaining a gravel driveway?
Draft control was designed for plowing to keep a constant load on engine when plow encounters tough soil and increase traction. If height or depth control is desired I suggest not to utilize draft control. Tasks such as mowing or operating a blade should be performed not utilizing draft control. Also the hole one attaches center link to bracket on tractor affects draft sensitivity. Normally the lower the hole in the bracket the more sensitive the "draft control"

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
My previous tractors did not have draft control. I ended up many times setting the height I wanted and then shutting off the valve to the 3PH to lock it in place while brush hogging. On one tractor, I'd actually chain the 3PH up to keep it from drifting down while mowing.

Now, with draft control, I have not run into that problem.

If I have to pick the implement up at the end of a pass in order to turn around, I know where to place it for the next pass. Much easier.

I didn't know what draft control was, but I like it.
I think you may have draft control confused with position control. Position control keeps the 3 pt at whatever height you set it with the control lever. Draft control will lift the 3 pt when a plow is pulling too hard.

OP: I don't see a need for draft control unless it's a 100% farming tractor. Just me personally - and I don't use a bottom plow just a subsoiler and chisel plow - but with no more than I do I prefer to control the height myself so I know the areas I need to work more. Typically it's when using the subsoiler and it encounters roots or rocks.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I think you may have draft control confused with position control. Position control keeps the 3 pt at whatever height you set it with the control lever. Draft control will lift the 3 pt when a plow is pulling too hard.

OP: I don't see a need for draft control unless it's a 100% farming tractor. Just me personally - and I don't use a bottom plow just a subsoiler and chisel plow - but with no more than I do I prefer to control the height myself so I know the areas I need to work more. Typically it's when using the subsoiler and it encounters roots or rocks.
I do believe I did have them confused. The position control came standard with my tractor. Thanks for helping me out.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks everyone. I guess I don't need it in my situation.
Agree, we used it farming, but with regular use it is not needed, it came stock on our M8540, but I didn't get it on our L5740.