Dog bombs- picking up implement?

Deeogee

Equipment
L3560 FEL 72" bucket, 84" snowplow, 72" snowblower, 72" hydraulic boxblade
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
I run a dog boarding business out of my house and it's that time of year for spring clean up. I've stayed on top of it mostly by hand but I bought my tractor last fall and I'm thinking there has to be a way I can use it.

I'm cleaning about 2 acres of grass. We have about 30 dogs a day. I typically collect a 5 gallon pale a day by hand but that takes a couple of hours.

I have a Kubota L3560 and my idea was to run a power broom off the 3rd function but just found out that's a no no (thanks guy).

I've found a few ideas but could use some help.

https://turfmasterindustries.ca/product/tpw-series

http://www.sweepersuton.co.uk/index.php?categoryid=27

https://www.toro.com/en/golf/debris-management/versa-vac

I think any of these could work but they are all really pricey. Like 10,000 plus pricey.

Any other ideas or a cheap way to build one even?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: Dog bombs

Any of the options you are looking at are going to tear up the grass with everyday use, and kill it.
The only real option would be a vacuum unit, you also wouldn't want to on the back of the tractor you would want it on the front! ;)

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Dog bombs

I am having a hard time picturing a device that could pick up ice cream cones. Fresh dog poop is going to be about the same. Keep in mind slinging the fresh poop around with moving parts. And how are you going to clean the fresh poop off the equipment? Rotating tires covered in poop ? Tires running in front of the device going to be a issue ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I am having a hard time picturing a device that could pick up ice cream cones. Fresh dog poop is going to be about the same.
I don't want to know what Ice cream cones you been having! :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

The paddock sweeper might work if you could arrange for it to not be FRESH dog poop. That is, divide the play area and put the dogs out on one half and let the other half dry out and then vacuum it up after a couple days. I think the brushes might have a tendency to break it up and spread it around. That is acceptable in a horse paddock, but not so much on a lawn. Parasite city.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon

Why are you letting 30 dogs that don't know each other run around together? Most kennels keep em in runs that have an integral septic system.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia

Just drop the mower deck as low as it will go and point it away from the house and by the time you get the last cut everything should be shredded through the fence ...lol
Sorry no help at all....

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
It sounds bad but that has been my go to for the last 5 years and it works ok. We have never had an issue with dogs getting sick so we have just ran with the idea. A problem with that is I have gone through 4 lawn mowers in 5 years.

Since buying the tractor I just think there has to be a way that I can make something or buy something that will be more durable and I can use in the springtime before the grass has a chance to grow.

I'm starting to think about a pto powered vacuum with a hydraulic dump trailer on the back. Then a hose running up the side of the tractor with the vacuum head attached to the fel. Possibly some sort of light dethatching device (broom or tines) in front to losen it up.

I'll try to draw something up or piece together pictures today.

Thanks for the help so far.

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola

Why are you letting 30 dogs that don't know each other run around together? Most kennels keep em in runs that have an integral septic system.
I agree with you however that is not our business model.

We believe that your typical kennel creates undue stress in you pup when being kept in isolation.

We have been in business for over 5 years now and have great success. Our dogs and clients both seem happier. Typically we don't have any stress related issues here such as: lack of appetite, nervousness, separation anxiety, constant barking, digestive problems, or aggression.

I have looked into a drainage system for the yard and would love to have something like that, but the cost would be astronomical. So for now I just pick it up.

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola

The paddock sweeper might work if you could arrange for it to not be FRESH dog poop. That is, divide the play area and put the dogs out on one half and let the other half dry out and then vacuum it up after a couple days. I think the brushes might have a tendency to break it up and spread it around. That is acceptable in a horse paddock, but not so much on a lawn. Parasite city.
I've seen them on YouTube but never in person. My only concern is: is dog poop large enough to get picked up?

I plan on redoing my fence this year creating 4 - 1/2 acre paddocks. Since business took off we have been having a hard time growing grass as well and I would like to rotate the dogs like you would sheep.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A couple of thoughts...if you divide your exercise area into smaller pieces, you might find the L3560 too big and too heavy to do what you want. I drive mine on the lawn very carefully when it is pretty dry and it is fine. The only time I have torn things up is when I forget and crank the steering too tight. But if you have to make a lot of corners towing a fairly big contraption it might not work well.

Another thought, I have a Cyclone Rake that I use to collect leaves etc with my Ingersoll garden tractor (that's it behind the 3560 in the picture.) The mower deck just has to pick stuff up and blow it out a right sided chute, and then the Cyclone Rake has a separate really powerful motor that sucks it up and puts it in a tow behind cart. It will pick up a lot, including small gravel off the driveway by accident. It will not pick up walnuts or hickory nuts very well, it will pick up small pine cones about 50%. What it will pick up may be a function of your deck and mower blade speed. I haven't intentionally tried to pick up dog poop, I only have 3 dogs and hand scoop every day, but there also hasn't been any left when I get done doing leaves in the fall.

So depending on your current lawn mower, that might be a better solution, cheaper, but not cheap. You could mow and clean up all in one step after a couple days of drying. The advantage to the Cyclone Rake is they are pretty popular, so if you didn't like it, it would be easy to sell (after you clean it up!) Check their website, they sell various attachments to allow it to work with different mower types.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In France dogs enjoy a far higher staus than they do in North America.

My wife returned from a recent trip to France with old nursing classmates.

She said a family going to a restaurant for a meal brought their dog or dogs inside and they sat at the table on a chair.

I saw a way the Paris France municipal department deals with dog poop. They had a special dirt bike with a vacuum on the back and a big suction hose. There was water spraying out the hose and the pavement was left spotless.

Here is one of several youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqz9UKyM2U

Making up something similar on a garden tractor could work.

Dave

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri

We believe that your typical kennel creates undue stress in you pup when being kept in isolation.
And I for one agree with you. I have boarded a dog only once. It was a nice place with a large kennel for each dog. It's exactly like abandonment.
My dog was never the same afterward. He panicked when we left him alone, he became clingy and after that health problems seemed to follow him around.
I know it's off topic, but I appreciate your boarding methods.
Now back to your question. Hand picking may be what you are stuck with. Cleaning equipment would be a real maintenance issue and avoiding the physical hand labor may not be worth it.
Maybe a high pressure sprayer to use after the pickup could clean up the areas enough.

Last edited:

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
In France dogs enjoy a far higher staus than they do in North America.

My wife returned from a recent trip to France with old nursing classmates.

She said a family going to a restaurant for a meal brought their dog or dogs inside and they sat at the table on a chair.

I saw a way the Paris France municipal department deals with dog poop. They had a special dirt bike with a vacuum on the back and a big suction hose. There was water spraying out the hose and the pavement was left spotless.

Here is one of several youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqz9UKyM2U

Making up something similar on a garden tractor could work.

Dave

Neat idea and pretty fast work

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
No idea but one thing to keep in mind is its a large device. Looks like its not going to be a tight turning device. How well will it work in your areas of use.
It does look like it might be reasonably easy to keep the box clean and thats a plus.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do you guys think this would work?

Jacobsen 720e

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/grd/d/jacobsen-5-ft-rogers-lawn/6548486896.html

I .think any time you subject the pile of poop to a sweeping action you will have a mess.

So no I do not see it working.
I still think you need suction combined with a water spray to completely clean things up.

Get inventive with a shop vac. In the shop vac wand drill a hole in the side and install a small tube connected to a weed sprayer type electric pump so as you vacuum you spray. If it works you can scale things up by having the shop vac head on a much larger drum so you can hold more and have the drum carried by something with wheels.

The shop vac will provide all the suction you need.

Have you ever seem utility companies excavate in places where there are wires and cables. The use a big sewer sucking truck and a pressure washer. The jet of water from the pressure washer loosens the soil and the sucker picks it up. Now you have no risk of ripping up wires and cables as you have with a backhoe bucket or even a shovel .

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Deeogee, interesting you posted that. I though about it, but didn't respond because I though no one would know what it is or where to find one.

Those were originally manufactured by Olathe Mfg. I think Toro bought them about 1980, then sold again.

I have one similar to the picture you posted except mine is PTO driven. Years ago I removed the big dump box and built a much smaller one. Inside there is a shaft going across the entire width. It has 4 (I think) rows of rubber fingers about 1" dia. and 4" long. They're replaceable.

When it rotates it throws "everything" in the hopper from leaves, loose trash, pop cans, glass....

Now you run over a fresh dog pile it'll pick up up, I'm pretty sure, but what now? Some of it won't be so dry and you'll have more fun than you can imagine!!!

I can post some picture if you want to see more detail.

Here's one listed on Ebay. They were originally very popular with landscapers and college/university use. They cost upwards of $20,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olathe-Law...133604?hash=item1eddbc7224:g:PowAAOSwD39adgKY

Last edited:

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
Deeogee, interesting you posted that. I though about it, but didn't respond because I though no one would know what it is or where to find one.

Those were originally manufactured by Olathe Mfg. I think Toro bought them about 1980, then sold again.

I have one similar to the picture you posted except mine is PTO driven. Years ago I removed the big dump box and built a much smaller one. Inside there is a shaft going across the entire width. It has 4 (I think) rows of rubber fingers about 1" dia. and 4" long. They're replaceable.

When it rotates it throws "everything" in the hopper from leaves, loose trash, pop cans, glass....

Now you run over a fresh dog pile it'll pick up up, I'm pretty sure, but what now? Some of it won't be so dry and you'll have more fun than you can imagine!!!

I can post some picture if you want to see more detail.
Pictures are always fun! I understand that it could get messy but the wet sticky stuff is hard to clean even by hand. Usually I keep the lawn really short so the poop drys out faster.

D2Cat I have been looking into these things a bit. Are you able to find parts for them still? The rubber fingers?

I'm sure there is some flexibility in the price, what do you feel this thing is worth?

Thanks

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
I .think any time you subject the pile of poop to a sweeping action you will have a mess.

So no I do not see it working.
I still think you need suction combined with a water spray to completely clean things up.

Get inventive with a shop vac. In the shop vac wand drill a hole in the side and install a small tube connected to a weed sprayer type electric pump so as you vacuum you spray. If it works you can scale things up by having the shop vac head on a much larger drum so you can hold more and have the drum carried by something with wheels.

The shop vac will provide all the suction you need.

Have you ever seem utility companies excavate in places where there are wires and cables. The use a big sewer sucking truck and a pressure washer. The jet of water from the pressure washer loosens the soil and the sucker picks it up. Now you have no risk of ripping up wires and cables as you have with a backhoe bucket or even a shovel .

Dave
Dave,

That's a brilliant idea! Almost like a carpet shampooer but for lawn.

What about taking a chipper shredder vacuum and apply your idea to that? Any experience with one of these vacs. Would they have enough pull?

Link for the chipper shredder vac system.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QwqsBCMADMAM&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov