Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Hipcamp?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My understanding of Harvesthosts is that they cater to self contained RV's and many of the spots available for booking will bring you to a location , for example, a winery , with the goal of getting the camper to visit, take the tour, buy product from the winery outlet store. Hipcamp offers a wide range of camping experiences from primitive single campsites with no amenities to glamping tents to cabins and anything in-between .

My plan is to have my tent and campsite available for booking from the 1st of May of this year. I will report back if I get any booking, and give honest feedback, the good and the ugly. Might be the dumbest thing I have jumped into but I hope it ends up being a rewarding way of being able to share the work I have accomplished on my property.
Thanks…I am interested…in my mind it seems like a great way to make some walking around cash / offset some property taxes…but I can also imagine a scenario where I drive up on a Thursday evening so I can get up at zero dark thirty the next morning to slip into the woods under cover of darkness for a turkey hunt, go to park myself against a tree in my overpriced hunting pants to find someone’s ‘compliments to the chef’. I wonder catering to folks with motorhomes/5th wheel campers maybe not a better option…I suspect they have facilities and regular use and clean up. I am not sure that is true or not, but they should be able to contain a bit more waste.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
When you set your listing up as a host you can stipulate what is required from the campers such as they provide a means of containing their waste (Luggable loo, etc) and that they pack it out. In my case I will offer a outhouse style with waterless composting toilet. Of course no guarantees that the campers follow the rules.

Hipcamp allows for pre-vetting the campers and will step in with the insurance policy that is provided to the host covering liability, theft or damage. Of course we all know about insurance policies and collecting.

Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I'm looking to expand, I have 2 RV spots, I'm wanting 2 more. I pre-screen the RVers, cause it's a farm stay, I seek retirees, they are truly the best. One of my guests this year is solo, in his 50's and he works remote, he has been a great guest as well. I cant have anyone that has outside dogs or they plan keeping them in some sort of cage/kennel outside, its gotta be an inside dog and on a leash. Im very firm, upfront and personal. I tell folks I have to and/or my neighbors occasionally dispatch dogs(usually dumped dogs) that are loose and chase livestock.
Check with your state to see if they have liability built in for your situation. Then check with your insurance.
You might also want to create a LLC, to seperate your assets/liabilities from the goals of making money. I have mine set up as a farm stay, to umbrella with Tx agritourism laws already provided.

But I also would like to have a couple tent camping spots in the woods/brush, the fire issue worries me too.. but I think I would provide the fire pits, and the wood should not be exposed above the top of the rim. Not sure if just having camp tent sites alone is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks…I am interested…in my mind it seems like a great way to make some walking around cash / offset some property taxes…but I can also imagine a scenario where I drive up on a Thursday evening so I can get up at zero dark thirty the next morning to slip into the woods under cover of darkness for a turkey hunt, go to park myself against a tree in my overpriced hunting pants to find someone’s ‘compliments to the chef’. I wonder catering to folks with motorhomes/5th wheel campers maybe not a better option…I suspect they have facilities and regular use and clean up. I am not sure that is true or not, but they should be able to contain a bit more waste.
”…offset some property taxes…” …?? property taxes are likely a deduction anyway…but income from camping-rentals is likely reportable.…. off-set by any “improvement costs” necessary to meet the needs of the campers.

RVs/Motorhomes may or may not need water/elect/sewer hookups…. depending on Your Policies.

We have 3 elect and water hookups for friends who visit…(no charge, of course)….but no dump/sewer. I recommend to them as they leave to visit a nearby state-park which allows sewer/dump for $5.

As for turkey hunting….. this is yesterday….ten feet off my back porch…. Since we live “out in the country”…we throw table scraps out for the wildlife rather than the garbage or sink/septic…..(but I quit hunting years ago when I realized after a dove-hunt that dove meat costs $1200/lb.)

IMG_2578.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
”…offset some property taxes…” …?? property taxes are likely a deduction anyway…but income from camping-rentals is likely reportable.…. off-set by any “improvement costs” necessary to meet the needs of the campers.

RVs/Motorhomes may or may not need water/elect/sewer hookups…. depending on Your Policies.

We have 3 elect and water hookups for friends who visit…(no charge, of course)….but no dump/sewer. I recommend to them as they leave to visit a nearby state-park which allows sewer/dump for $5.

We are hosting a solar-eclipse fly-in/camp-out for our “flying-club-friends” Only…. and runway lighting improvements are deductible.

As for turkey hunting….. this is yesterday….ten feet off my back porch…. Since we live “out in the country”…we throw table scraps out for the wildlife rather than the garbage or sink/septic…..(but I quit hunting years ago when I realized after a dove-hunt that dove meat costs $1200/lb.)

View attachment 124925
I have full hook ups which allows me to have monthly to seasonal rentors.
I have one spot for family or friends that has 30amp elect and water only. Haha I might some family that doesn't need to stay to long....

Funny about the dove hunting costs.. $1200lb!! lol I know the shells keep going up every year too. Love the turkeys, I'm 2 hours south of ya, and the turkeys are going crazy this time of the year, the flocks look real healthy too, I have daily turkey visitors as well.