Dodged a bullet, lessons learned.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Can you spot the dodged bullet in this short video of me mowing for the first time yesterday?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
PTO came off.

Reactions: 2 users

Moose7060

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Was the PTO collar not clicked in or did something break? Nice to dodge a bullet now and again.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Yep!
I had a helper on Thursday that hooked up the pto shaft onto the tractor which I specifically asked if it had slid on far enough and the release push pin had re-engaged with the groove in the tractors PTO. "Yes" was the answer.

The lessons learned for me was to verify with my own eyes etc, and also to not feel that I might have offended the person by double checking their work.

Absolutely no damage, no harm no foul. I think having the safety tube helped , the shaft basically fell down onto the top of the deck and the inner pto shaft just spun harmlessly until the energy in the rotating mass was expended. No flopping around destroying things.

Moose7060

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Yep!
I had a helper on Thursday that hooked up the pto shaft onto the tractor which I specifically asked if it had slid on far enough and the release push pin had re-engaged with the groove in the tractors PTO. "Yes" was the answer.

The lessons learned for me was to verify with my own eyes etc, and also to not feel that I might have offended the person by double checking their work.

Absolutely no damage, no harm no foul. I think having the safety tube helped , the shaft basically fell down onto the top of the deck and the inner pto shaft just spun harmlessly until the energy in the rotating mass was expended. No flopping around destroying things.
I had somewhat of a similar situation last fall. Dealer delivered my new M7060 with the pull type snowblower all hooked up. First snowfall and blower worked great until it didn't. Collar not locked into place and came off. Luckily I noticed quite quickly and shut things down. Lesson learned to check even a dealers work. As with you, no harm, no foul. Cheers.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
My only regret , if it was going to happen, is that it was out of the field of view of my trail cam pointed at the pond. It would have been nice to see how the pto shaft actually acted when it first dropped off.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You got off real lucky. Some 'expert' connected my fully loaded dump trailer one day.... 2 mile trip to scrap yard, back in to dump.....THUNK... WTH ??, Seems the coupler came off the top of the ball !!!!
'fun' is trying to get couple back on properly....oh well, lesson learned , check EVERYTHING anyone does for you.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yep!

Voice of experience; it'll stop faster if you drive through tall grass.

We had to use a bolt on the Sidewinder on our old AC with an adapter, since it had a small spline. Couple of times, the bolt broke and the shaft flailed around 'til it coasted down.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I thought it was the tail wheel at first, it was running backwards and snapped around to normal position pretty quickly. I thought maybe it was getting stuck and needed grease.

Please look at the rear end of the PTO shield at the mower gear box. It looked like it was not attached and not covering the input shaft well. But that was my second guess until I turned on the sound and heard the noise when you were out of frame.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
You got off real lucky. Some 'expert' connected my fully loaded dump trailer one day.... 2 mile trip to scrap yard, back in to dump.....THUNK... WTH ??, Seems the coupler came off the top of the ball !!!!
'fun' is trying to get couple back on properly....oh well, lesson learned , check EVERYTHING anyone does for you.
Had the same thing happen to me. Trusted someone to hook up dump trailer. Drove about 5 miles,pulled into where I was dumping. Then backed up and "pop crunch" nice dent in my chrome HD ram rear bumper. Always dbl checked after that. I don't care who it was that hooked up.