Dodge Magnum lifter issue

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Rebuilt my grandson’s Dodge magnum 360 engine (2003). New heads and cam along with new lifters. We have a problem with a couple of lifters that won’t charge with oil on one bank. Replaced the lifters and it did not cure the issue. Precharged the second set with oil and they would pump oil for a while and then quit. This thing has been apart at least four times chasing different theories like lifter bore issues. The last one I threw new valves, rockers and pushrods with no luck. Is it possible that the new head is the issue. Something not right with the geometry? The original heads were cracked between valve seats so that is the reason for replacement.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I don't believe the 360 uses roller lifters. ? Back in the day I remember being charged by the machine shop for setting valve height after cylinder heads were rebuilt. I wonder if its something to do with valve height as I believe the rocker arms and shaft are bolt down with no adjustment required to Centre the valve lifter in the appropriate position .

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Magnum 318 360 and also the 8.0 V10 were all roller starting in 1993. People think they're the same as the old LA series, and the truth is that they are nothing alike other than they use the same cubic inches and the same rods (318 and 360). Lots of differences. Lifter angle is even different.