do i have to cut too much off my drive shaft?

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Hello . I have a b7800. I bought a fronteir sb1164 snow thrower for the rear. Im in the middle of puting it on. I messured between the shaft of my tractor and the shaft on my snow blower. "with the snow blower on" its 26.50'

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
DO NOT cut off one side only!!!!!!

I dont fully understand your question.......will the shaft fit now??
and I hope it wasnt 26.5 feet!:D

Remember - the shaft is at the longest point when blower is on ground, as it raises up - there MUST be slack in it!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Why not, :confused: please explain...

All of mine are one side longer vs. the other. Over lap is over lap, doesn't matter where it is.

To the OP, your "question" is a bit hard to understand. There should be a "short" measurement with the implement up at the top and another (long) measurement with it lowered on the ground. I guess 26.5" is the "long" measurement?

I think the over lap is 6" but I could be mistaken....
Not so fast my feathered friend!

Look at it this way........

Making this up on the fly here........

A 24" pipe slides into another 24" pipe......when it hit bottom, the shortest length it can be is............you guessed it .....24"!!!!

Cut 3" of the larger pipe.......minimum length once inside ..........24" still !!!!!!

If the short (sliding inside) is not cut then cutting the outside helps = zero!

best way to do this is to have the implement on the ground - take a measuring tape and do the math at the longest point - centerline to centerline is best! THEN collapse the shaft to it's shortest point.....

then raise the implement all the way up, past where you might never go!!! AND measure again!

AS long as the top is greater than the shortest length - everything is fine!

BUT if the compaction needs to be shorter, cut BOTH pieces - SO the INSIDE cannot bottom out nor can the OUTSIDE bottom out!

YOU still need overlap at the bottom - but it will overlap more as it rises.

he can show you what I am trying to explain!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBFJcvs5SE

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I hqave a brand new one here I bought last summer and one side is 6 inches longer than the other

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
Sorry. I wanted to say more. But my computer is acting up. I already saw that video. It helped. I put my tape from inside to inside of both PTO shafts while the implement was on the cement floor. 26/1/2 inches. The drive shaft is off. way too long to put on. When i pull the drive shaft appart, then hookup the tractor end, the tube almost reaches the other drive shaft on the implement! So that means I will have to cut over two feet off both sides. I dont think I will have enough overlap. Which is 7 3/4 acording to my manual. I dont think I will have that much. I just cant seem to figure it out.Im too scared to cut it. When its that close. Filix. Thanks.:confused:

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Sounds like you have a pto shaft that fits something like a brush hog. Instead of cutting that, they are expensive, I would measure the shortest the shaft would be (usually when in the up position) and find that length pto shaft.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I hqave a brand new one here I bought last summer and one side is 6 inches longer than the other
Maybe the intention is that you only have to trim the long half?

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Bottom line when you are sitting on the ground make sure you have a 7 inch over lap, and both the front and back half are the same length. Get a tape measure and a black marker and make sure that everything looks right. You will have to cut both sides most times to end up with two equal lengths on the tractor and implement. If you can not figure this out get a friend to help. Tractor Supply is stupid high on PTOs.