Ditch digging?

Telstar2112

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 25, 2014
Catskills, NY
DonDC, Thanks for the info, I was wondering if that could be done.

I did find one listed from NationalImplements that is made for the thick reinforced edge but I didn't order it yet and will take another look at WR Long.

I had emailed them last year but they said they didn't have one that would fit due the bolt on edge. Do you know which one you bought, they have TB, STB, and ITB? If I measured right my bucket is 64.5" inside.

Thanks,
Steve.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Steve, I ordered the STB model through my Kubota dealer to reduce shipping in to Canada. Unfortunately, the one they brought in was a little too wide as they ordered it for a 66 inch bucket insted of 64 1/2 inch so I had to remove the bolt on ears and reweld them on to fit. I then cut out notches on the back of the bar so that it would fit flat over the bolt heads. If you don't mind doing the mods then it works. I felt the extra metal on the modified standard bar made my bucket stronger than with the usual narrower bar and wider lip made to fit with the wear edge still on the FEL. However both will work and greatly improve the digging ability of your FEL. Don......

Telstar2112

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 25, 2014
Catskills, NY
I had dug some ditching with my backhoe and it carries a lot of water but is is slow going. I never yet bought any implement since I could not decide if anything would work in the rocky soil and also didn't have the money last year. I am still considering the rear blade option but wondering if it will work in the rock? I know I would have to get the heavy duty one but still worry about ruining it. Also, does anyone know if a middle buster would work, or would it just get destroyed at the first rock? At least that is much cheaper. Besides the backhoe, middle buster and rear blade is there anything else that may work?

I don't think I have the maneuvering room to use the front bucket even if I had the teeth on it.

My L35 has rim guard (beet juice) in the rear tires and heavy duty chains as well.

Thanks,
Steve.

port

Apr 30, 2013
middletown
Where are you located. I'm in bainbridge and have a camp in hancock. Forty miles makes a Huge difference in terrain and soil.

Telstar2112

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 25, 2014
Catskills, NY
Walton area. When I was up about 2 weeks ago the whole mountain seemed to be flowing with water and a small rivulet was running through my basement. Thankfully running right back out!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I am still considering the rear blade option but wondering if it will work in the rock? I know I would have to get the heavy duty one but still worry about ruining it.
I think if your terrain is as rocky as you suggest, a rear blade wouldn't work for you. I don't think it would break, but I think it wouldn't pull the rocks out, just (hopefully) slip over them.

Also, does anyone know if a middle buster would work, or would it just get destroyed at the first rock?
I haven't used them so I don't really know; it seems from the design that a middle-buster would be busted on the first rock. If you could pick one up really cheap, it would be worth a try. And if it didn't work but didn't break, maybe you could mount a mailbox on it?

I had dug some ditching with my backhoe and it carries a lot of water but is is slow going...

I don't think I have the maneuvering room to use the front bucket even if I had the teeth on it.
Yes, loaders take up a lot of real estate, especially when you have to go at it sideways.

I agree that BHs are slow going, though all the BH operators I've watched could really go! (But they were all digging in dirt, not stone!) From all that you've said, and the terrain you describe, I think a BH is your best tool.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If it's water running down the surface, you could always try and make waddle troughs. There are many ways of doing it but essentially it's just a waddle line with either some plastic or clay on the front surface that turns it into a trough for the water to run down to and then down the trough to your side stream or drain pipe entry system.

You refresh the waddles every year or two and eventually you have built up embankments that drain off the water effectively.

No digging (or very little) required.

port

Apr 30, 2013
middletown
Walton area. When I was up about 2 weeks ago the whole mountain seemed to be flowing with water and a small rivulet was running through my basement. Thankfully running right back out!
I'm guessing your off 206. You may be better off having a logger slash it when they're working near you, most of them have D4s or bigger. We have a ford 655a at the deer camp, and it struggles with the glacial debris. If you do it yourself plan for running water when you start the trench and tap the underground stuff. Good luck with the project.

Telstar2112

Equipment
Kubota L35
Apr 25, 2014
Catskills, NY
I ended up buying a ripper/subsoiler from Everything Attachments. I also bought a potato plow point. I made a few passes with the ripper and it did a great job. I guess the rocks were not as bad as I thought. There are a ton of them but since I was not going that deep, maybe 10-12", they were mostly small enough that the ripper pulled them out. Largest was about 16" in diameter and maybe 3" thick and it pulled it right out. Ripped through roots and everything. Then I attached the potato plow blade and made a pass to try and remove the loosened dirt. It worked pretty well but did not really disperse the grass and spoils far enough away. Not sure what I should use for that. Maybe now a back blade could be used just to clean it up. The terrain is very uneven so I cant really use the bucket too easily. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Other areas of the property seem to be much more rocky.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Box blade..
I angle mine as it far as I can, and it does a great job on ditches that are very hard and rocky. Its way more heavy duty than a blade.
Its a good all around piece of equipment to have in your arsenal.