Disk harrow vs rotary tiller experiences

Beanboy

Equipment
Kubota L4600 HST w/FEL, landpride DH1572. KK 5 ft boxblade
May 11, 2014
St Augustine FL
Anyone ever heard of ANYONE going to a rotary tiller and then switch back to a disk harrow? Everything I have heard and read says once you use a tiller the disk is done. I'm trying to locate someone who has gone back to disk and their reason(s) why. I am about to bite the bullet for a tiller, trying hard to resist, and the wife is hoping to locate a reason (besides money) to stand pat with the disk.
She says I'm a strange duck (true) and I can't afford to find a reason to swap back AFTER I buy one because of reasons I should have thought of or asked about before spending the money

Hoping all responses are positive (for the tiller) your experiences and opinions are greatly appreciated

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What I have seen is tilled ground and then disked to make rows or hills

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
Depends on the application, I suppose. A tiller pretty much leaves a puffy cloud of a seed bed. A disc is going to cause less disruption if adjusted properly. I have a tiller but would like to find a disc to work new seed into already sewn ground, food plots, etc.

Last edited:

KBorange

Equipment
Kubota L3200
Aug 11, 2013
Eureka Missouri
I think it really depends what you are wanting to do with it. For gardens, and food plots under a couple of acres I would say the tiller would be ideal. I do 4+ acre food plots and a disc is more effective I believe. Also if you have real rocky soil you can have tear up tiller tines.