Disc harrow question, pull type or 3pt

btsspec

Equipment
L3901 Kubota
May 21, 2018
San Jose, CA
Hey guys, got a question for you all regarding a disc for our tractor. I live in california and need to abide by a weed abatement ordinance on our 5 acre property. I need to plow a fire break around our perimeter. We have some hills and most of the property has some slope to it. Im trying to figure out if we should get a pull type disc or one that uses the 3pt hitch. With our hills and slopes, I think a pull type would be better, also going around turns a pull type is better.

Does this make sense? Am I better suited getting a pull type disc or a 3pt to cut our fire break on our slopped property?

Thanks!
Steven

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Pull type hands down. Pull type will be heavier first off and maintain even ground contact over uneven terrain. I have never liked a 3pt disc except for a garden where everything is straight lines and flat ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't see where you list the size of your tractor, but would not want a pull type disc. You become very limited when it comes to moving it to another location unless you have a large tractor with rear remotes, etc.

I would look for this style. You can adjust the top link so it has the flexibility just like a brush mower when going over terraces. You can pick it up and move it to a different location without dragging it there. The pull type, you'll end up leaving it in the work zone forever.

Remember, your looking for a firebreak...not to work up a field.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I second D2Cat. I have almost the same one in the picture (mine is a bit bigger however). I would never want a pull type for the reasons he listed. You can add weight to the 3 point disc if you want, I've never had the need to.

In y view, the only thing a pull type is good for is behind a quad.

I.d shop Craigs List for a used one. Not much to wear out and the discs are replaceable.

btsspec

Equipment
L3901 Kubota
May 21, 2018
San Jose, CA
I’ve got an l3901 kubota, so not working with a ton of power, the disc my local tractor dealership quoted me was a rigid 3pt 7’ disc, gonna talk to them about other options. I haven’t seen any discs with that adjustable top link, that sounds promising. Thanks!

I don't see where you list the size of your tractor, but would not want a pull type disc. You become very limited when it comes to moving it to another location unless you have a large tractor with rear remotes, etc.

I would look for this style. You can adjust the top link so it has the flexibility just like a brush mower when going over terraces. You can pick it up and move it to a different location without dragging it there. The pull type, you'll end up leaving it in the work zone forever.

Remember, your looking for a firebreak...not to work up a field.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Remember, the 'angle of attack' on a disc harrow is adjustable. You can angle the gangs by loosening the top mounts and 'U' bolts and sliding the gangs.

Like I said, I'd look for a used one. Paint is optional. In your case, I'd think about adding a row of spring shank cultivators on the back.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Remember, the 'angle of attack' on a disc harrow is adjustable. You can angle the gangs by loosening the top mounts and 'U' bolts and sliding the gangs.

Like I said, I'd look for a used one. Paint is optional. In your case, I'd think about adding a row of spring shank cultivators on the back.
Don't take a lot of power to pull one (3 point or pull behind) and don't expect it to work up the soil in one pass, takes multiple passes to break up the dirt. Why I suggest a row of spring shank cultivators on the back.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey guys, got a question for you all regarding a disc for our tractor. I live in california and need to abide by a weed abatement ordinance on our 5 acre property. I need to plow a fire break around our perimeter. We have some hills and most of the property has some slope to it. Im trying to figure out if we should get a pull type disc or one that uses the 3pt hitch. With our hills and slopes, I think a pull type would be better, also going around turns a pull type is better.

Does this make sense? Am I better suited getting a pull type disc or a 3pt to cut our fire break on our slopped property?

Thanks!
Steven
The only advantages of three point discs are maneuverability and convenience. A pull type disc will do a much better job than a three point mounted disc of similar size, weight and condition.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I’ve got an l3901 kubota, so not working with a ton of power, the disc my local tractor dealership quoted me was a rigid 3pt 7’ disc, gonna talk to them about other options. I haven’t seen any discs with that adjustable top link, that sounds promising. Thanks!
For a 3901 sized tractor, I'll change my opinion.

You will likely not find a suitably sized pull type disc for your 3901. Additionally, a 7' three point disc is too large and most likely too heavy for your tractor.

SDT

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
Look around for an old floating hitch Ford/Dearborn disc.I find it is the best of both worlds.It has the convenience of being 3pt ,but when it is in the dirt ,it floats and contours to the ground like a good pull type because the 3 pt is floating around and just "pulling" the disc.The top link will have little pressure on it letting the disc work more like a pull type.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
The only advantages of three point discs are maneuverability and convenience. A pull type disc will do a much better job than a three point mounted disc of similar size, weight and condition.

SDT

That right there is why a 3 point might be the best choice on 5 acres. Especially if your just running around the fence row.

How do you adjust the depth on the pull behind while your working it ? Unless it has hydraulics on it then its a pain in the rear to stop and get off and adjust then start again. Then have to readjust for the next section of work area conditions. Now if it has hydraulics to control the depth then a bit nicer to use.

Loosing traction while your running the disc due to cutting to deep, soft soil and tires slipping or what ever. On a 3 point you just pick it up a bit. Less weight and cutting depth on the disc and more weight on the rear tires of the tractor. Win win.

With a 3 point you can lift the disc, back up to the fence, row or into the shed or what ever. Hard to do with a pull behind.

3 point should be cheaper for what seems to be your limited needs.

Pull behind probably weighs more and cuts deeper if your tractor will handle it. Pull behind might be more comfortable to move large distance if your roading the tractor from place to place but that does not seem what your having to do.

btsspec

Equipment
L3901 Kubota
May 21, 2018
San Jose, CA
Im tossed up on which one to go with now, I found a very inexpensive pull behind disc off craigslist, gonna take a look at it this weekend. You bring up good points about being able to adjust the height of a 3 pt disc vs a pull behind, also being able to back up to a fence or around a shed, Im just concerned that going up some hills the 3pt won't be able to engage into the ground as I come over a hill. Our longest fence line goes straight up a hill with some terraces.

Now I'm thinking that a 3pt with a flex might be the best option, one with a flex similar to a bush hog where the top link has a flex/pivot in it.

That right there is why a 3 point might be the best choice on 5 acres. Especially if your just running around the fence row.

How do you adjust the depth on the pull behind while your working it ? Unless it has hydraulics on it then its a pain in the rear to stop and get off and adjust then start again. Then have to readjust for the next section of work area conditions. Now if it has hydraulics to control the depth then a bit nicer to use.

Loosing traction while your running the disc due to cutting to deep, soft soil and tires slipping or what ever. On a 3 point you just pick it up a bit. Less weight and cutting depth on the disc and more weight on the rear tires of the tractor. Win win.

With a 3 point you can lift the disc, back up to the fence, row or into the shed or what ever. Hard to do with a pull behind.

3 point should be cheaper for what seems to be your limited needs.

Pull behind probably weighs more and cuts deeper if your tractor will handle it. Pull behind might be more comfortable to move large distance if your roading the tractor from place to place but that does not seem what your having to do.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess my question is do you have rear remotes? If not you don't have but one choice and that's 3pt.

If you have remotes I'll go against the grain and vote for pull type. I have a old IH pull type that I use with my L3000 from time to time. It's 9 or 10' wide and it does fine. If I angle the disc fully I have to use 4wd but even then it still does okay. I'd take the pull type any day over a 3pt disc. Only draw back is transport unless you have a deckover trailer.

btsspec

Equipment
L3901 Kubota
May 21, 2018
San Jose, CA
I don’t have rear remotes unfortunately. I’ve seen some pull type discs that have a manual height adjuster, how often would I need to adjust the height of the discs? I’m new to tractor ownership and don’t have much experience with using a disc.

I guess my question is do you have rear remotes? If not you don't have but one choice and that's 3pt.

If you have remotes I'll go against the grain and vote for pull type. I have a old IH pull type that I use with my L3000 from time to time. It's 9 or 10' wide and it does fine. If I angle the disc fully I have to use 4wd but even then it still does okay. I'd take the pull type any day over a 3pt disc. Only draw back is transport unless you have a deckover trailer.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I don’t have rear remotes unfortunately. I’ve seen some pull type discs that have a manual height adjuster, how often would I need to adjust the height of the discs? I’m new to tractor ownership and don’t have much experience with using a disc.

It’s according to the type of pull type disc. If it’s a gang/tandem (as I call them) you will need to lift it every time you make a sharp turn. An offset it most likely what your looking at and you can make left turns without lifting the disc. You can forget about making a right turn with an offset without lifting it out of the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'll through out a different option for you to consider and that is a 3pt hitch rototiller. You will drive slower but in one pass the vegetation will be chewed up, you wouldn't have any problems pulling it up and down the hills, and you wouldn't have to add hydraulics to your tractor.

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
I have beed looking for a pull type 8 foot harrow. I have yet to find one near me. There have only been a few for sale at that size or smaller. A new 8' tufline harrow is close to $10,000 an 8' 3pt heavy duty is $4000.

btsspec

Equipment
L3901 Kubota
May 21, 2018
San Jose, CA
Interesting, I havent thought of that but it does make sense, would also work well along one of our fences which is an an odd angle, Id be able to back up perpendicular and rototill then move down and repeat, pulling a disc along that fence would be a side slope situation. Thanks for the idea!

I'll through out a different option for you to consider and that is a 3pt hitch rototiller. You will drive slower but in one pass the vegetation will be chewed up, you wouldn't have any problems pulling it up and down the hills, and you wouldn't have to add hydraulics to your tractor.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
When I was younger we did about 100 gardens every spring with a IH Cub. After plowing we went back with a 5 ft pull disc to work up the gardens.
We had a small 5 x 8 tiltbed trailer with a hand winch on the front to pull the disc up on the trailer for road transportation.
You use a piece of rope to pull the release and pull forward to adjust the angle. Simply backup to close the angle. It was simple to use and was great at turning up the soil.
Plus you have a small trailer that you can use around the place.