Differential won't stay locked

50shootr

Equipment
B6100D, Honda 70 fourtrax STIHL MS 250
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Hi.. Have a B6100D 950hrs.. I press the lock pedal when the wheels slip on snow both wheels engage but don't stay locked, the opposite wheel will now engage,if I reach down & push the pedal down with my hand same results.,any suggestions ? just an adjustment right ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You understand that they only lock when pushing the pedal, let off the pedal and they unlock (spring loaded).
No there isn't really any adjustment to that set up, up is off down is on.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Not sure of your tractor set-up, but usually If you need the lock, you have to keep your foot on it. Normal practice is engage it when no power is going to axle, and once the wheels start turning you usually can take foot off, but not always. They usually disengage once you aren't playing power. Never engage it while any wheel is spinning or you will never have it again (until repaired).

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi.. Have a B6100D 950hrs.. I press the lock pedal when the wheels slip on snow both wheels engage but don't stay locked, the opposite wheel will now engage,if I reach down & push the pedal down with my hand same results.,any suggestions ? just an adjustment right ?

So - when you push down on the lever - it stays down BUT the two tires still are not locked? Is there any "feeling" of engagement when you press it down?

On my BX - the lever has a spot that once you push it down, it goes the rest of the way as the wheels are spun a bit.

I would check the linkage first.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
On my bx when you press down on the pedal it takes a few for it to engage . You can feel the pedal go lower when it engages . When you let off the pedal it disengages .

50shootr

Equipment
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Thank You Gentleman for your replies... Thought I was doing something wrong,I pressed the pedal once the the wheels barely turned, added power and if I kept my foot on it was ok,love this tractor, live 1/4 mi from the main road and wasn't able to finish plowing because of something as simple as that!! Had a Ambulance out here didn't get stuck, but the oil truck got stuck yesterday and a big tow truck came out and winched it out all because I didn't know how to operate the differential lock !!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank You Gentleman for your replies... Thought I was doing something wrong,I pressed the pedal once the the wheels barely turned, added power and if I kept my foot on it was ok,love this tractor, live 1/4 mi from the main road and wasn't able to finish plowing because of something as simple as that!! Had a Ambulance out here didn't get stuck, but the oil truck got stuck yesterday and a big tow truck came out and winched it out all because I didn't know how to operate the differential lock !!
Just like everything else on one of these Orange beauties - there is always something that we can all learn ! If not for this forum - a lot of people would have many simple things NOT explained! I learn something about a Kubota tractor here almost everyday! :)

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
This is something that I have wondered about. Is it supposed to stay down? Mine disengages when I take my foot off the pedal and I guess that's the way it's supposed to work.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
This is something that I have wondered about. Is it supposed to stay down? Mine disengages when I take my foot off the pedal and I guess that's the way it's supposed to work.
On the B-series anyway, there's a spring under the pedal. Lift your heel, the pedal pops back up, disengaging the lock.

Sort of inconvenient when using the foot throttle, but as you note, that's the way it's supposed to work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's only supposed to engage while holding the pedal down. ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The clutch is your friend when needing diff lock. Foot throttle is nice but it's better to run the RPM's up to what you need and work the clutch. Trying to time one foot is harder than using both.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
The clutch is your friend when needing diff lock. Foot throttle is nice but it's better to run the RPM's up to what you need and work the clutch. Trying to time one foot is harder than using both.
I'm "ass"uming this is offered for me. While I agree fully with your points, I have a very strong aversion to engaging a clutch when the RPMs are as high as I usually need when confronted with the need to lock the differential.

The best solution for my dilemma is to learn to work the hand throttle, the brakes, the dif. lock, and the FEL levers like Beethoven playing a sonata rather than like me playing chopsticks.:eek:

50shootr

Equipment
Nov 4, 2012
So. Dartmouth,Ma.
Hi..Thanks for all the input,I worked as a marine mech & replaced many of those clutch dogs in outboard & stern drive gear cases which are in the Kubota differential lock so now I know how it works, this forum is great!, used to call Honda,Yamaha,Merc. Omc. etc. tech. when I was stuck on a customer job again being a mechanic this B6100D is a well made, reliable,robust Machine .