Diesel Cold Weather Additive

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Someone mentioned lubricity, and I think it is worth thinking about. When winter diesel starts being mixed, it is basically Arctic #1 and standard #2 at a "correct ratio." Arctic #1 is mostly kerosene. Advantage is that is won't gel or wax; disadvantage is very little lubrication.

Power Service products are good stuff. But the reason why they add whatever the "slick diesel lubricator" is, is because their product removes lubricity. I would also caution about over-adding.

Particularly, modern common-rail direct injection diesels, whether that be a Kubota engine or a Powerstroke, Cummins, or Duramax. This fuel system design runs a high-pressure fuel pump that is very sensitive to lubrication. A destroyed high pressure pump typically instantly ruins the fuel injectors and requires cleaning of the entire fuel system, tank, lines, filters...and replacing the injectors and HPFP. Not cheap, especially on a pickup.

Be extremely careful using Diesel 911. I would not use it on a modern diesel unless it is an emergency situation.

Last year, my 2017 Powerstroke gelled and would idle and die. It was -22F and even with anti-gel I had the problem. Replaced both filters to solve the problem.

I would not run Power Service anything in a 6.7L Powerstroke or 6.6L LML Duramax. They both use the Bosch CP4 fuel pump - very sensitive to lubrication issues and extremely high pressure. I always opted to run Motorcraft PM22 which would work in the GM or Ford diesel. Interestingly, Cummins endorses the Power Service products for use in their 6.7L engine...excepting Diesel 911. But the Cummins uses the earlier, higher volume / lower pressure Bosch CP3 fuel pump.

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I wonder if naphtha would serve well as an anticoagulant in diesel fuel. I think it would satisfy any lubricity requirements.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am not sure of the lubricity content of naphtha or even how well it would work to prevent gelling but it is an ingredient found in both gasoline and Kerosene so maybe it won't hurt. However, why chance it? The cost of a can of naphtha is more than what a bottle of power service or other additive would cost.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Actually, I just checked on the price of a gallon of naphtha and in the local True Value store and it was $18.99 per gallon. However, Walmart has Coleman Lantern fuel for sale at $12.99 per gallon. In case you are not aware, Colemen Lantern fuel is Naphtha. Anyway, if one were inclined to try Naphtha as an anti-gel agent, it is cheaper to buy the Coleman Lantern fuel.

Just to stir the pot a little, when I was growing up in Wisconsin the winters got cold enough that fuel gelling was a real problem with diesel fuels. I remember that some of the older men would add gasoline to their diesel fuel in the winter. This was during the 1960's when we had real gasoline, not the ethanol of today.

When I was in the Army in the early 1970's, we also sometimes added gasoline to the diesel fuel for our 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks in colder climates such as Alaska and upstate New York. Later, in the 1980's and 1990's we just used JP5 and JP8 for our multi-fuel trucks.

Through the years I have sometimes added gasoline to diesel but today I just add kerosene at a 50-50 mixture with #2 diesel.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
FWIW, I just added the Power Service White to mine and topped off the tank, then drove her around a bit. Reading the directions earlier, it looks like you add 32oz per 100 gallons once it dips below 32F and then 32oz per 50 gallons once it dips below 0F. I have to double check the bottle but pretty sure that's what it said. Online their directions say:

At temperatures above 0°F., add entire contents (32 ounces) to 100 gallons of diesel fuel. When temperatures drop below 0°F. or when using biodiesel blends, add entire contents (32 ounces) to 50 gallons of diesel fuel.
So I guess they aren't worried about the lubricant issue especially below 0 as you're doubling the amount you put in.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not to detract from the thread, but last winter the diesel was gelling at the pump of local station during cold snap. Place sells a ton, and where I get mine.

Saw a friend with HVAC business trying to fill his service truck early morning...no go...and he had a bunch of service calls!!

Seems it was -10F or so. Several cold, windy days.

Regarding dosage of Power Service, it seems I read there is no risk for over-dosing...but don’t hold me to that. I guess within reason, I don’t worry about it much.

Being a former bartender, I ballpark it...maybe I should give it a tad more in mid-winter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Actually, I just checked on the price of a gallon of naphtha and in the local True Value store and it was $18.99 per gallon. However, Walmart has Coleman Lantern fuel for sale at $12.99 per gallon. In case you are not aware, Colemen Lantern fuel is Naphtha. Anyway, if one were inclined to try Naphtha as an anti-gel agent, it is cheaper to buy the Coleman Lantern fuel.

Just to stir the pot a little, when I was growing up in Wisconsin the winters got cold enough that fuel gelling was a real problem with diesel fuels. I remember that some of the older men would add gasoline to their diesel fuel in the winter. This was during the 1960's when we had real gasoline, not the ethanol of today.

When I was in the Army in the early 1970's, we also sometimes added gasoline to the diesel fuel for our 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks in colder climates such as Alaska and upstate New York. Later, in the 1980's and 1990's we just used JP5 and JP8 for our multi-fuel trucks.

Through the years I have sometimes added gasoline to diesel but today I just add kerosene at a 50-50 mixture with #2 diesel.

The mid '80 VW diesel had in their owner's manual, you could add up to 10% gasoline to the diesel for winter service.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The mid '80 VW diesel had in their owner's manual, you could add up to 10% gasoline to the diesel for winter service.
Definitely don’t try that now days with the new common rail systems, like troverman said too. High pressure fuel pump failure is not cheap I promise. Can’t attest for gm but a 6.7 hp pump failure is about $8,000, 6.4 failure is around $10,000, i don’t mind them since I’m not paying the bill,they pay my bills lol. I’ll stick with my 6.0.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...Just to stir the pot a little, when I was growing up in Wisconsin the winters got cold enough that fuel gelling was a real problem with diesel fuels. I remember that some of the older men would add gasoline to their diesel fuel in the winter. This was during the 1960's when we had real gasoline, not the ethanol of today.
Back then, diesel engines were very different. They used mechanical, indirect injection and the pressures were much lower. Additionally, diesel fuel had a much higher sulfur content which acts as a lubricant.

As an aside, the lower HP (non-DPF) Kubota diesels on brand new tractors still use indirect injection with mechanical fuel injectors and a lower pressure fuel pump. These types of engines are less susceptible to the effects of diesel contamination. Examples would be any of the BX or standard B-series tractors, the L2501, and the B2650.

FWIW, I just added the Power Service White to mine and topped off the tank, then drove her around a bit. Reading the directions earlier, it looks like you add 32oz per 100 gallons once it dips below 32F and then 32oz per 50 gallons once it dips below 0F. I have to double check the bottle but pretty sure that's what it said...So I guess they aren't worried about the lubricant issue especially below 0 as you're doubling the amount you put in.
I would say their statement actually supports mine. Power Service would like you to use as much of their product as you can, so you have to buy more. The reason they say to use more in colder weather is because the smaller amount isn't effective at colder temps. The reason they even tell you to use less in the warmer temps is because they know their product reduces the amount of lubricity to the fuel system each time it is used, and therefore they want to minimize the risk of their product causing damage to the diesel fuel system.

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I have to add my 2 cents here. Power Service works great if you have a metal tank. If you have the newer fiber-glass tanks the dealer here in Vermont have found this will be better ( https://k-100.com/fuel-type/diesel/) called K 100. It will work in all truck great. Most NAPA store now carry it here.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I use Howes Diesel Treatment all year round. 2oz per 5 gallons. The previous owner of my BX used it from the 1st fill up.

ironbender

Equipment
B2650; loader/bucket; forks; bush hog; box blade
Sep 2, 2017
North of 60*
Old thread; found this searching for fuel posts.

I use PS year-round. PS says white in winter; silver is summer.

As to ratio, the 32 oz bottle says it will treat 100 gallons. That means 0.32 oz/gallon; or 1.6 oz/ 5 gallon fill

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Anyone know if winter off road diesel has additives added as road diesel does?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Around here it is posted on the pumps that they start the winter blend on Nov. 1st.

I use STA-BIL DIESEL ALL-SEASON in my fuel. No issues so far, going through the second winter season with it.

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
Opti-lube works for me, but my climate is warmer.