Did I fry my gearbox?

Jaybird

Equipment
M5400. 6' finish mower, 5' bush hog, 2 bottom plow, 6' rear blade, boom pole.
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
So I bought a 4 year old 72" finish mower from a friend. It had sat at least the last 2 years outdoors unused. Brought it home and couldn't get the bolt out to add/check the gearbox fluid. Was putting oil on it everyday to help loosen it up. Tried a short mow, 5 minutes or so, and everything looked good. Mowed the next day for about an hour and when done could smell a burning smell around the gearbox. Was finally able to get the bolt out and could see no sign of oil. Took a back plate off the box and there wasn't a bit of fluid in it. As you could guess when I tried to add gear oil it all just ran out the bottom.

Guessing seals dry rotted from sitting. Taking it to the shop for repairs. Think the gears are now damaged? Its a Taylor Way brand otherwise in excellent shape.

Thanks,

Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say you didn't do it any favors running it dry.
The gears are pretty tough you might get lucky.
I would be more worried about the bearings than the gears. ;)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
If everything still feels tight, I would replace the seals and see what you get. If the bearings have slop, they will take your new seals out quickly. The corn head grease is good stuff. However, it does go into liquid form at normal operating temperatures. So, if your seals are bad, it too will leak past the seals when running.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I bet the previous owner ran it empty for awhile...

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
Thanks guys. Having it fixed now (at least when they can get to it). I'll say a prayer and hope. They are going to install new seals and check the bearings. I'll let you know the damage when I get it back.

Jaybird

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
Well, this saga finally ended yesterday. It took a while but I told you I would let you know the results. When the gearbox was taken off many of the teeth had been chewed down to about half size and the bearings were in bad shape too.We then began a quest for replacement parts which was difficult.
We were told that Taylor Way was no longer in business but they are still being sold by Rural King in some states which makes no sense to me.
At any rate the gearbox was made by Omni Gears in Houston, Texas. I contacted them and was given the name of a distributor/seller who is on Ebay that sells new ones/ I contacted that seller -- RanchRite, also in Texas. They had my exact model, new for $178.00 with free shipping.
Ordered it and received it within a week. Installed it yesterday and we are back in business.
Many thanks to Omni Gears and RanchRite. If you need a gearbox I would definitely recommend them.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Well, this saga finally ended yesterday. It took a while but I told you I would let you know the results. When the gearbox was taken off many of the teeth had been chewed down to about half size and the bearings were in bad shape too.We then began a quest for replacement parts which was difficult.
We were told that Taylor Way was no longer in business but they are still being sold by Rural King in some states which makes no sense to me.
At any rate the gearbox was made by Omni Gears in Houston, Texas. I contacted them and was given the name of a distributor/seller who is on Ebay that sells new ones/ I contacted that seller -- RanchRite, also in Texas. They had my exact model, new for $178.00 with free shipping.
Ordered it and received it within a week. Installed it yesterday and we are back in business.
Many thanks to Omni Gears and RanchRite. If you need a gearbox I would definitely recommend them.

That is a good deal, many of the small Italian gearboxes i see on newer equipment are about $160.00 a pop, don't ask me how I know...:D:D