Dextron to UDT & tractor is ticked off.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I just did a bit of work on my B8200hsd part of which was changing the hydralic fluid from dextron (automatic trans fluid ) to universal hydraulic oil. This morning was the first time I started the tractor cold -3c and you could tell that the hydraulic pump was working harder than usual. The loader was sluggish. After driving it for 5 min everything went back to normal. I know that the UDT is thicker than dextron. Did I make a mistake going to UDT? If it does this at -3 what is it going to do at -30. Any and all advice more than welcome.:eek: Dusty :eek:

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Do you know why ATF was put in the thing? Not sure that it would do anything bad, but I doubt it was made to be in a tractor hydraulic pump. Anyways, I guess you could go back, or you could spend a little more cash on some Amsoil hydraulic fluid, it stays the same viscosity down to like -40 or something. I think I'd stick with the stuff made for the tractor myself.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I imagine it was put in because it was cheaper. This is the second Kubota I have had that had Dextron in it. This one I changed the fluid twice. The O rings on the banjo fitting were screwed when I cleaned the screen. When I dumped the fluid to fix the O rings the oil came out still really dark so I changed it again. I looks nice and clear now. At least on the stick. Vic says dextron is OK. I actually changed it to UDT because it is thicker. I doubt if I will change it again unless it causes problems. Some where in the neighbourhood of $180 I just spent on UDT.:eek: Dusty

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
UDT is awfully expensive, and I asked a mechanic whether it was worth it and he said not really, but rebuilding an HST or hydraulic pump was awfully expensive and that might be the consequence of not using the recommended fluids.

It is possible some goo or something came loose. Did you change filters?

Whenever the wrong jouce is used I get worrid about seals, etc., turing to go. If they are designed for one enviroment and subject to another, bad stuff can happen.

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
I know it is expensive but it would be interesting to see what results you would have using Premium, the Canadian version of SUDT.
It's made for the lower temps.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Yup changed the filter. The first fluid change I used Kubota udt because I had it. The second I used New Hollands version of the same thing. Both of my Kubotas that had dextron in them worked well. And I may be making a big too do about nothing. When ever some one asks about a loader or tph all of a sudden not working, the first thing that crosses my mind is the selector valve on the hydraulic block. Maybe I should pay attention to my own advice. My selector valve was always fairly tight. You had to use a wrench to move it. Now I can turn it by hand. Maybe I did clear out some sludge. Have not started the tractor since discovering this, And I have to go out and do some keepin the wolf away work, but I will post tonight and give an update. Thanks for the replies Guys.:D Dusty

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Well I set the selector valve to where I thought it should be, then started the tractor and fine tuned the selector valve for best speed on the loader. The tractor started as it normally would with no lugging and no ticked off noise from the hydraulic pump. I zip tied the selector valve so it would not wander again. I won't know for sure untill I get a nice cold morning, but I think that the valve was the problem. Bin wrong before. We will see. Thanks for all the help.:D Dusty P.S. I probably should not have even started this post. But to tell you the truth, after working on the tractor for a month and then having it do this kind of funky chicken on me. Well I panicked. Sorry for makin a fuss.

Last edited:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Dusty, you can start any post you want. None of us want to pay for an overhaul of anything, so if you can relate an experience or give a word of caution, most of us are going to pay attention. And if it turns out to be nothing more than a valve that is in the wrong position, then someone of us will remember and fix our own problem quickly.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Dusty.
I would put ATF in my automatic transmission and UDT in my kubota. That being said though, ATF is a very good low temperature hydraulic oil. I used to repair service rigs in the oilpatch,( at least the hydraulic parts of them) and the companies who used ATF in them had much lower repairs than those using Hydral 56 and other hydraulic oils. When I worked in Durham Ontario for Moores Garage where we sold White tractors we used 10w30 motor oil in the transmissions and hydraulics. I recommend that you use whatever the manufacturer recommends.
Ed

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
-5 celsius this morning. I cranked the glowplugs for 45 seconds. The tractor started right up and again no nasty noises & fel worked good. I just put the cab on it so I am just about ready for some heavy snow. Thanks for the replies on this thread. Thanks Pat. Thanks Ed I am hoping that there isn't too much difference between Kubota udt and New Holland udt.:D Dusty