Deer whistles

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
So are you guys believers in deer whistles, the noisemakers that you mount on vehicles to scare deer away? Just curious, looking for thoughts of others.

I'm always very diligent in scanning the road sides for deer, feeling this is the best way to avoiding meeting up with one. I did come across one last week that, in my opinion, obviously had a deep desire to die. I swear he hid in the weeds and then just decided the time was right to end it all. I nailed him.

I never know if those whistles really work or someone if laughing their way to the bank. If the consensus is that they do seem to work...even in a small way...I'd be willing to spring for a couple.

Thanks in advance.
~Gary

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've always had them on my vehicles, never hit a deer. My current vehicles do not have whistles, maybe that's why I don't drive much anymore?

It certainly can't hurt.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A guy I worked with bought them for his new truck,,,, 3 deer later when they fixed the front end of his truck the whistles were gone with the bent up bumper. He never hit a deer after that as long as he had that truck. He said he thought they called the deer in,,lol
I know loud pipes on the HD do nothing to deter deer from running out in front of you at night, I have had to clean the soft brown stuff of the seat a couple of times :eek:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have no idea whether the whistles actually create a noise nor if deer can hear them, but I do know that deer seemingly are not afraid of vehicles.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
The deer whistles are a scam. I saw a test on YouTube years ago carried out in a wind tunnel that showed they don't make any noise at all at any frequency other than the small amount generated from them disturbing the airflow.

My father always had them on his pickup when he pulled travel trailers for a living. He hit deer three times in five years. A friend that lives in the UP of Michigan was always a believer in them, until he hit two deer during one winter.

Most of the time, people mount them where there will be virtually no airflow for them, so even it they did actually produce a sound, the lack of airflow through them makes them worthless.

Around here, deer are almost oblivious to traffic. In my county, we have one of the largest number of deer killed on the roads in the state. One evening a couple of weeks ago when I was returning home through an area I know a lot of deer frequent, and sure enough there was a nice buck standing right next to the road. If someone would have had the passenger window down he could have stuck his hand out and slapped the buck as we passed. The buck just stood there and never moved when I went by.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Very informative! Perhaps we should drive blue cars or install blue lights to the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Followup...I've since had a chance to watch some youtube videos on their effectiveness and it seems the consensus is that they are useless.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
NHSleddog,
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I've been driving to & from my place in the high country since the late '70s, never had deer whistles, and never hit a deer or elk. (knock on wood:D)
My next door neighbor up there had deer whistles and hit two, in maybe half that time frame.
Data seems obvious to me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A guy I worked with bought them for his new truck,,,, 3 deer later when they fixed the front end of his truck the whistles were gone with the bent up bumper. He never hit a deer after that as long as he had that truck. He said he thought they called the deer in,,lol
I know loud pipes on the HD do nothing to deter deer from running out in front of you at night, I have had to clean the soft brown stuff of the seat a couple of times :eek:
Hardleys don't go fast enough to outrun a deer anyway...:eek:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I've been driving to & from my place in the high country since the late '70s, never had deer whistles, and never hit a deer or elk. (knock on wood:D)

My next door neighbor up there had deer whistles and hit two, in maybe half that time frame.

Data seems obvious to me.

Curious, what color were the vehicles? Ain’t kidding, it’s a legitimate inquiry. I almost hit one a few times and DID hit one pretty good. My vehicles are both blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I drive a blue F150 and tagged a doe on the hind quarters last fall. Fortunately, I just bumped her with the right front fender, and it only left a small dent, and she ran off into the wooded area next to the road.

Maybe they are blue blind.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Curious, what color were the vehicles? Ain’t kidding, it’s a legitimate inquiry. I almost hit one a few times and DID hit one pretty good. My vehicles are both blue.
Since I bought the place, I have driven there in:
lemon yellow LandCruiser
seafoam green Dodge 1/2 ton
light blue Chevy 1/2 ton
dark blue Toyota pickup
white Tacoma pickup
white F350
and occasionally:
light blue Mustang Grande
maroon Monte Carlo SS
white Toyota Celica GT
platinum Chrysler LHS
My neighbor who hit two deer was in a white Toyota truck, which was totaled in the second hit.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
i live in heavy deer country did you ever notice that the buck usually stands in the roadside bushes and sends all the girls out to cross the road when safe the buck crosses again where i am there are does killed everyday on the road i have not seen a dead buck over 2 prongs road kill yet just saying

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ohio Hwy Patrol had them on their cruisers for years and so did most of the counties. After about 3 yrs and when they analyzed the data, they found there was no reduction in deer car accidents. I can't tell you the last time I saw one on any vehicle.

Eat more venison. Problem solved

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
The used motorcycle I bought has two on it and I've never taken them off but couldn't tell ya one way or the other if they work. They're light and don't take up much room so I'll leave them. As to eating more venison I suppose I could up it to two burgers a day, getting hungry just thinking about it.:)

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I've work at a New Car dealership for 45years with a full service collision center. Roughy 20 years ago the deer whistles were really hot. I decided to do a unofficial survey of deer accident victims coming in for repair. I didn't keep the numbers but it seem to me that they did'n't do any good.