Deer scrapping my new trees.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Slitting wrinkled plastic pipe. I used tin snips. However with a saber saw and metal cutting (small teeth) and a short exposed length it might be easier. On a table saw use a plywood cutting blade. How abut calling a neighbor?? If I was close, no problem. A hack saw would work, with some means for keeping the slot open.

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
i just use a good razor knife...

the stuff is really cheap & splits easy.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
First I want to thank everyone for the help. This is what the trees
Look like with the pipe and also the tool I ended up using, first of
All I had the tool and it had a short beat up metal cutting blade on it. Cut
Like going through butter.
This I don't understand, Houston has a large nursery chain and in
September or early October they mark their trees down by 70%,
This year they had many beautiful and tall live oak tree. Of course
this was after the hurricane and I would have thought a lot
Of people were looking for trees.
I truly Wish I had a few thousand dollars to plant some around my new ponds.
I used the dirt from the ponds to build my roads up.

Attachments

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Josef, I don't know how things work in Texas, but as far as planting trees are concerned. I am in a situation where I have hundreds of trees dying or dead from emerald ash borers to Hemlock woolly adelgids. Invasive species of plants are taking over the forest and wont allow proper regrowth of the trees. That bothers me.

I got involved with my local extension office and did some digging in usda programs. Turns out, I could turn my 100 acres into a federally recognized farm. Once I did that, I could apply for and participate in cost sharing programs that could help me regrow the trees on my property for a fraction of the cost.

I'm still in the preliminary stages and only had just been declared as a "farm" Ive had foresters and soil scientists come out to do some testing and soon once I get funding support they will get a forester to come up with an official plan on management practices, spray that target and kill all the invasive species but not trees, and begin planting seedlings. Then they're going to put cages around all the trees to protect them from the deer.

Something to consider. GL

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/tx/programs/financial/eqip/

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
NEPA I think and I maybe mistaken about a federal program, as I understand it once you fall in line you then have to open up your land to the public, for hunting fishing hiking and so on. And any changes you might want to make to the land has to go through a hearing process. Like I said I may all the wrong info
I know the State clean and green program is like that and I said ehhh,,, no thanks
I went and started planting black walnuts and Chinese chestnuts, maples and any other trees I could start and then plant, I even have a bunch of black locust,, those flowers make the sweetest honey you ever tasted. White pines I had gotten from the Game Commission ( may their livers rot) But that was years ago

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Hey Joseph: I am sure you feel a lot better about this and it will take of things for a long time. That sure was the right tool.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Skeets, Not in this case. There are hunting and fishing easements that are created to get more funding, I wanted no part of it. I understand that completely! They tried to convince me. It also devalues your property. No way.

Oh and the clean and green program, I'm a part of, its for tax breaks. The only thing you agree to is never to subdivide and sell, which I have no intention of doing. All you need is 10 or more acres to qualify. Save lots of $.
http://www.monroecountypa.gov/Dept/Assessment/Pages/ACT319.aspx

This is specifically for growing trees and thats how they classify it as a farm. I also have a stream that runs through the property thats considered high water quality and has cold water trout. That bumped me up the list. The hemlocks that line the stream are dying out and as a result more sun hits the water and it warms it up and the trout cant reproduce or something to that effect.

So once they come up with a forest management plan, the kicker is once you get federal funding for the work they do, and something goes wrong, I'm liable for it. They suggested putting up a deer fence up for 15 years. If a tree lands on the fence, I have to fix it. If a few dozen deer get through the fence and decide to eat 300 seedlings, I have to replace them...Hence my decision to go with individual fences for the seedlings, requirement is 5 feet high each.

Anyways, it wouldn't hurt to contact them and explain the situation. They may be able to offer some helpful strategies in replanting the trees. Its in their best intrest to do so. Helps keep their jobs intact. Worth a shot Josef.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One of the biggest challenges in forest regeneration up here is not an invasive pest species, but an indigenous one - deer.

Our per-square mile populations have really shot up in 50 years as dairy farms go out.

The forested area of upstate NY has climbed to probably crowd 70%, versus half that or less 50-75 years ago.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Josef, I don't know how things work in Texas, but as far as planting trees are concerned. I am in a situation where I have hundreds of trees dying or dead from emerald ash borers to Hemlock woolly adelgids. Invasive species of plants are taking over the forest and wont allow proper regrowth of the trees. That bothers me.

I got involved with my local extension office and did some digging in usda programs. Turns out, I could turn my 100 acres into a federally recognized farm. Once I did that, I could apply for and participate in cost sharing programs that could help me regrow the trees on my property for a fraction of the cost.

I'm still in the preliminary stages and only had just been declared as a "farm" Ive had foresters and soil scientists come out to do some testing and soon once I get funding support they will get a forester to come up with an official plan on management practices, spray that target and kill all the invasive species but not trees, and begin planting seedlings. Then they're going to put cages around all the trees to protect them from the deer.

Something

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/tx/programs/financial/eqip/
I am looking hard at the NRCS, seems they will come out and help you put together a long term plan on your property and then suggest ways they can help you get there. I have read somewhere that being a 100% disabled veteran that they will help me on a lot of project's 70/30. 70% for them, 30% for me. We have a lot of problem with oak wilt, takes out entire forrests.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
RCW,

I had 4 different foresters out here scoping out the property for me. One of em tells me, "I didn't tell you this, but if you see a deer, and even if its out of season, shoot it."

lol

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I am looking hard at the NRCS, seems they will come out and help you put together a long term plan on your property and then suggest ways they can help you get there. I have read somewhere that being a 100% disabled veteran that they will help me on a lot of project's 70/30. 70% for them, 30% for me. We have a lot of problem with oak wilt, takes out entire forrests.
I'm glad I was able to contribute. GL moving forward. The oaks out here have been decimated too. Looking to replace them.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
To those of you with wishes and also using government programs to reduce your taxes. I ask you to consider the guy who doesn't have that opportunity. His taxes go up to make up for your benefit. In Wisconsin there is a program that is a "forest management" thing that can cut a tax bill for 20 acres down to 16 bucks and the forester doesn't enforce anything in Crawford county (maybe others also). All he wants is a bunch of guys in his program so he can preserve his job. So the folks benefiting do nothing and reap the benefits of the program. However, the word is getting around as to who is in the program. You can bet some unfriendly situations develop where neighbors don't get along. Are you willing to spend the next 20 years in the program getting nasty looks by the guy next property?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW,

I had 4 different foresters out here scoping out the property for me. One of em tells me, "I didn't tell you this, but if you see a deer, and even if its out of season, shoot it."

lol

Uhhhheemmm, where I came from as a kid, seasons were more subjective than objective.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I have an agricultural exemption which is well accepted in Texas.
Planting my oaks is leaving things of beauty for my kids and
Grandkids and nothing to do with exemptions.