DECREASED MPG L4300 HELP PLEASE

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
How much more fuel? My 7040 started burning more when I went from a 72” to an 84” mower. If you mowing higher grass/weeds it will burn more. Mine burns less (per cycle) when I mow more often Because it’s not working as hard cutting shorter grass.

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I have noticed that my L4300 (2WD) CIRCA 2008 is requiring more fuel (diesel) when mowing grass with a Bush Hog. Is this normal? What can be done about it?
I think you mean excessive gallons per hour of operation. MPG is not generally used for tractors because there is no odometer on them, among other reasons. How do you measure increased fuel usage?

Did this suddenly happen? There could be several causes. Restricted air filter? Dull blades on the mower? Abnormally high grass? Dragging brakes on the tractor?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
More work is being performed. Doh. Like most other forms of fossil energy, more BTUs are required to accomplish more work.

Next topic.

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
I think you mean excessive gallons per hour of operation. MPG is not generally used for tractors because there is no odometer on them, among other reasons. How do you measure increased fuel usage?

Did this suddenly happen? There could be several causes. Restricted air filter? Dull blades on the mower? Abnormally high grass? Dragging brakes on the tractor?
I only use the L4300 to mow grass so it is not experiencing more load or stress. I have noticed recently that it is consuming more fuel than it has in the past. I was wondering if these diesel engines have to have injector cleaners periodically or perhaps they need some maintenance.

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla

good ideas. I just noticed that it is using more fuel for the same area mowed lately, The grass is just cenlipede on flat surfaces about 3-4 acres. I will take a look at the air filter, the blades have never been sharpened so that may be it, have never had to use the brakes but I will look at them for that. Is there a tune up procedure for these engines? I will clean out the fuel filter while I am at it.

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
How much more fuel? My 7040 started burning more when I went from a 72” to an 84” mower. If you mowing higher grass/weeds it will burn more. Mine burns less (per cycle) when I mow more often Because it’s not working as hard cutting shorter grass.
for the 3-4 acres of flat centipede grass area I have noticed about 10-20% increase fuel consumption. I use off road diesel fuel.

sandbag3

Apr 6, 2012
crawfordville, fla
no change in he mower and I keep the flat centipede 3-4 acres tight to the ground about 2x per week. I use off road diesel fuel. Is there an injector cleaner required periodically?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just another thought….make sure the oil level isn’t “growing” from a lift pump leaking into the crankcase.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
no change in he mower and I keep the flat centipede 3-4 acres tight to the ground about 2x per week. I use off road diesel fuel. Is there an injector cleaner required periodically?
Any chance you could be leaking some fuel during operation?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
the work is always the same-3-4 acres on flat centipede grass lawn. No more stress on engine than before. been mowing same area for 15 years.
My apology…. the implication of your Original Post was that your tractor was suddenly using more fuel with a BUSH HOG… (as opposed to without a Bush Hog. ) It didn’t say that more fuel was being consumed suddenly doing the same work as previously.…. the subject appeared to be “with a Bush Hog”.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
I only use the L4300 to mow grass so it is not experiencing more load or stress. I have noticed recently that it is consuming more fuel than it has in the past. I was wondering if these diesel engines have to have injector cleaners periodically or perhaps they need some maintenance.
"I only use the L4300 to mow grass so it is not experiencing more load or stress."
Dull blades, dragging brakes, very high grass, etc adds more load to the engine so how can you make the above statement?
Reducing airflow via a restricted air filter means you have to add more fuel to make the same power.

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
good ideas. I just noticed that it is using more fuel for the same area mowed lately, The grass is just cenlipede on flat surfaces about 3-4 acres. I will take a look at the air filter, the blades have never been sharpened so that may be it, have never had to use the brakes but I will look at them for that. Is there a tune up procedure for these engines? I will clean out the fuel filter while I am at it.
No real "tune up procedure". Clean, dry fuel ( off road fuel is just red dyed road diesel), no difference), make sure air filter is not restricted, change fuel filter per OEM recommendation, and check water separator and drain regularly if water is found. Keep tank full to minimize condensation.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’d check the air filter or replace it. Also, yes, you can use injector cleaner diesel additives to clean the carbon out. The fuel filter could be causing a restriction as well. Finally, if you haven’t changed the oil in a while, that could help make the injectors work better.