Declared war today!!! On bugs!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mowed today and ended up covered in ticks :eek::eek: Also noticed that the fire ants have been taking over as well. Back yards getting covered in mounds. So, wife and I took a trip into town and loaded up on enough bug begone to treat the yard, and the biggest bag of fire ant killer.

Looks like we weren't the only ones having issues this year. Worker at home Depot mentioned he was on his 4th pallet of bug begone today, and third pallet of fire ant killer.

Last edited:

Dayton

Equipment
BX2670
Nov 26, 2016
Cooper, Texas
Hey Darron...I have fought the losing battle with fireants also. I googled kill fire ants and came across the site....Texasprepper2 kill fire ants. It tells you what to use (bifen i/t) and how to use it to kill individual mounds. It kills the mound before you make it around the yard. Really good if you have outdoor activities planned. I guess you can never get rid of those devils for good but using your granules plus this stuff you should make it a lot better.
Good luck,
Dayton

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I hate ticks more than anyone but I have too much area, some being too overgrown to walk through, to treat. I had an offer one time for some kind of organic garlic remedy but again it was expensive and required reapplication. On the other hand I'm not a fan of insecticides, especially if they have the potential to kill honey bees. It's a big problem today with a lot of bees getting killed all over the country, no bees no fruit or veggies.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Whats a good thing to use to kill ticks?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guinea fowl, they will eat every tic they can find and every other bug as well

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI

Discovered this a couple years ago when the mosquito's were so bad, they'd carry you away.

1 application of 1 ounce to a gallon on the yard around the house and there wasn't a single bug crawling or flying anywhere within the zone that was sprayed. Step outside it though.. And you'd get carried away.

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich

Discovered this a couple years ago when the mosquito's were so bad, they'd carry you away.

1 application of 1 ounce to a gallon on the yard around the house and there wasn't a single bug crawling or flying anywhere within the zone that was sprayed. Step outside it though.. And you'd get carried away.
Thats good to know. I am sure I am going to need it this year with as much water that I have standing around

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Dayton, neighbor works for the city, and said they use the same thing you mentioned for fire ants. Said he had some spots in his yard to treat for them, and was gonna bring me some as well :D

We didn't have a winter this year, so fleas, ticks, chiggers, and fire ants have been blowing up. Walked outside the other day bare foot in some slippers. Slippers got infested with chiggers and ended up getting tossed. Knew I made a mistake when after five minutes my feet felt like they were on fire, and itching terribly. :rolleyes:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Some people go right from complaining about winter to complaining about bugs. When someone up here complains about winter my standard answer is: I haven't seen a black fly in months!!!:D:D:D Now it won't be long before they show up for this year.:eek::mad::(

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Some people go right from complaining about winter to complaining about bugs. When someone up here complains about winter my standard answer is: I haven't seen a black fly in months!!!:D:D:D Now it won't be long before they show up for this year.:eek::mad::(
Whats a blackfly

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Daren,
2 things to note just in case you didn't already know: ;)
Make sure you have the pups treated for ticks, as they hide really well in their fur, especially the toes.
And If you do spray the yard, don't let them on it till it's completely dry. :)

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Can't get it here in Canada, had to find anything that works.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren,
2 things to note just in case you didn't already know: ;)
Make sure you have the pups treated for ticks, as they hide really well in their fur, especially the toes.
And If you do spray the yard, don't let them on it till it's completely dry. :)
Bug begone is granules and got watered in yesterday so I could control the yard. :D

Dogs get treated faithfully every month with Canine Advantics II. Works for fleas, ticks, chiggars, and also has an added benefit of repelling skeeters as well. :D It's a little pricey and runs about $300 per year to treat both dogs. But, Jack is highly allergic to fleas. It costs us over $500 for one flea bite on him :eek: Not to mention his comfort, and hot spot treatment twice a day till it clears up. Much cheaper and easier to be proactive :D:D $375 to treat the yard and the dogs per year :D

Tick diseases are hellacious here between human and dog viruses.

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Black flys should have been one of the 7 plagues. blood sucking little )*(&*&%$&^*@(_!++_(*^#&^%*&!_+ bassturds

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Thanks pendoreille, I see that song was written in 1949. After 68 years black flies are just as bad now.

Ike since you are from Michigan I immediately assumed your question was rhetorical or you had never ventured north of the tier of counties bordering Ohio and Indiana.

Me, I live on a trout / black fly stream in northern Michigan.
I am sure they are going to be bad this year. Several years ago we always went to Can. fishing in the WAWA area. One year they had a late spring and we almost got carried away for 2 days. On the 3 rd day they were mostly gone. In a normal year we would miss them. They are not real bad around here but seem to be getting worse every year, but it does not stop me from fishing