Decision Overload

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not sure if I can link to FB marketplace...

2014 L3200

Wanted to get some more expert opinions if you guys would. This only has 85 hours on it. Guy says he has had it for less than a year and bought from the original owner. Moving out of state and can't take it. Says condition matches and confirms the low hours.

Wouldn't this be really comparable to the l2502 with just a little more hp? 2014 so pre-epa crap. Private party so no tax. Out the door this would be around $10k cheaper than new. Thoughts? Thanks again for any advice!
YOU DONE FOUND IT !!!
I would be calling the guy RIGHT NOW, and telling him you offer $19,000 (I always try to bargain) and perhaps send him a deposit,(applied to the agreed price),..... to hold it for up to ten days.
Many perspective buyers never show up, so he really needs something, that shows your serious intent to buy it.
That tractor is just TOO GOOD to pass up.

Then find, beg, borrow, steal, or rent, a trailer to go pick it up.
If you rent a car trailer, don't tell the rental agency that you are going to get a tractor.
Some rental agencies don't seem to like tractors.

Most car trailers have "channels" for car wheel width.
Be sure that the channel width of a trailer has the proper spacing to accommodate the tractor wheel width.

Take a look at the guy's yard!
It is absolutely impeccable!
So is his tractor!

You need to ACT.....NOW!
If you do not act,.......some other early bird will catch that (lovely) worm.
It was only posted 4 days ago!

DO NOT ...."fiddle", or it will be GONE!
When it is gone GONE, you will be kicking yourself.

If you bought that same used tractor from a dealer in AZ (where it is not) you would be paying $1064 more, just for tax.

P.S. I recently bought a Kubota M62 TLB (for a friend) who lives far away.
$63,500 (no tax) of my friend's money, and the seller is now a (distant) friend also.
Had it picked up by a hot shot shipper, and all went "slippery/smooth as snot on a door knob"
(I was able to look at it for my friend first).

Last edited:

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
So IF this thing checks out, it clearly is the choice financially. Obviously there is some risk buying a 10 year old rig but I feel that's minimal. A new warranty would be nice but maybe I'd get lucky.

So how about the comparison functionally? I've learned the 3200 doesn't have live PTO. Not sure that's a big deal for my application... Mostly FEL and box blade work, maybe an auger for my next project. No mowing, snowblowing, chipper, etc so that seems moot.

Any other things to consider? No tilt steering on the 3200 which would be nice but not the end of the world. Both are 4x4 and HST. Any other downside to the 3200 that the 2502 has that I would miss? Also seems like that 3200 has almost bottomed out in depreciation and will probably be worth this much or more going forward. Is that fair?

This is a big decision for me and tough to make without personal knowledge. Can't thank you guys enough for helping me out!

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
I would be calling the guy RIGHT NOW, and telling him you offer $19,000 (I always try to bargain) and immediately send him a $500 deposit,(applied to the agreed price),..... to hold it for up to ten days.
That is just TOO GOOD to pass up.

Then find, beg, borrow, steal, or rent, a trailer to go pick it up.
If you rent a car trailer, don't tell the rental agency that you are going to get a tractor.
Some rental agencies don't seem to like tractors.

Most car trailers have "channels" for car wheel width.
Be sure that the channel with of a trailer has the proper spacing to accommodate the tractor wheel width.

Take a look at the guy's yard!
It is impeccable!
So is his tractor!

You need to ACT.....NOW!
If you do not act,.......some other early bird will catch that (lovely) worm).
It was only posted 4 days ago!
It will soon be GONE, and you will be kicking yourself.

If you bought that same used tractor from a dealer in AZ (where it is not) you would be paying $1064 more, just for tax.
Thanks for this! I'm already chatting with the guy and trying to get up there today or tomorrow!

Looking for a trailer right now!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks again for giving your opinion! It looks clean in the pics and video. Not sun faded. Tires look good. Has the SSQA and even a canopy. Almost seems to good to be true but it is a 2014.It's about 3.5 hours from me so not easy to go look at. Pics attached.
I typed a detailed response, and my computer barfed it up, before send.
UGH!
I recently helped a friend do a remote deal like this ($63,500 2021 M62 TLB Kubota.)
I can give you some pointers, if you would like to talk.
I am NOT a dealer, or middleman, or attorney.
Just another OTT (83 yr old) member offering some do's and don'ts
I will private message you my phone number.
Call me if you wish!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks again for giving your opinion! It looks clean in the pics and video. Not sun faded. Tires look good. Has the SSQA and even a canopy. Almost seems to good to be true but it is a 2014.It's about 3.5 hours from me so not easy to go look at. Pics attached.
Private message sent!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for this! I'm already chatting with the guy and trying to get up there today or tomorrow!

Looking for a trailer right now!
Oh....good, my computer did not spit my comments up.
I think you are planning a very good move!
Congratulations on making a decision!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can perhaps get a trailer at the seller location, but I do not recommend it.
It is a long way to go, to find out that the trailer you reserved is not satisfactory.
Ask me how I know that.
I ended up hiring a "roll back" tow truck to move a little 32HP Ford 1920 FEL tractor to my home.
$1150 for 450 miles.
UGH,......nasty surprise!

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I agree. This L3200 is a great deal. I would drive there today to see it and make a deal. Worry about a trailer to transport it later.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for weighing in!
If you haven’t hauled a tractor that size before, get at least a 7000# dual axle trailer, 16’ if no implements, 20’ with implements, trailer brakes, and 3/4 ton+ truck. Or buy pay a hotshot to deliver.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you haven’t hauled a tractor that size before, get at least a 7000# dual axle trailer, 16’ if no implements, 20’ with implements, trailer brakes, and 3/4 ton+ truck. Or buy pay a hotshot to deliver.
The OP has a Cummins Dodge diesel.
I think that he probably does understand the trailer requirements

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like I said before, I don't see any downfalls to the L3200 over a L2502.

One quick thing you can do to check for a scam is get an address and google map the address.
and maybe a simple detail on the house like roof color
Scammers rarely can provide the needed details.
And if he's selling or sold the property, put the address into zillow, if it's never been sold or isn't for sale that too will give you an answer too.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Like I said before, I don't see any downfalls to the L3200 over a L2502.

One quick thing you can do to check for a scam is get an address and google map the address.
and maybe a simple detail on the house like roof color
Scammers rarely can provide the needed details.
And if he's selling or sold the property, put the address into zillow, if it's never been sold or isn't for sale that too will give you an answer too.
GREAT ideas!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Obviously there is some risk buying a 10 year old rig but I feel that's minimal. A new warranty would be nice but maybe I'd get lucky.

Any other things to consider? No tilt steering on the 3200 which would be nice but not the end of the world.
The reason you (me/we) own Kubota's is the legendary reliability factor. IMHO the odds are in your favor.

Thats why I buy Kubota, Cummins and Yamaha.

Hmmm...I had no idea the 2502's had tilt. I don't think that would be a big deal.

Good Luck, I hope it works out for you!! (y) (y)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Live PTO doesn't really matter with an HST.

L3200 is basically the same tractor as an L2501, but pre-emissions rules. They detuned it to reduce the HP when the emissions rules came in, so that it went under 26HP (which was a threshold where the emissions rules became more stringent).

There hasn't been a lot of change in the standard L series over the years, you won't miss much in terms of upgrades.

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
Well I'm happy to report to all my consultants here that the tractor is sitting on my property! Long day but I got it done. This thing is immaculate. It is literally like new. Even has the little "new tire knobs" on it. Barely a scratch, even on the bucket. I can't thank you all enough for sharing your wisdom and advise!
1000006868.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Congratulations man!

It sure looks like it's in nice shape from your pic.

It's good to see that the filters have been changed too.

Nice Find!!!! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Now for the big question.......What oil are you gonna use in it?

1713689515419.png

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Well I'm happy to report to all my consultants here that the tractor is sitting on my property! Long day but I got it done. This thing is immaculate. It is literally like new. Even has the little "new tire knobs" on it. Barely a scratch, even on the bucket. I can't thank you all enough for sharing your wisdom and advise!
Looks mint. I hope you're going to be very very happy, and expect you will be. Now you need to put some hours on it - at the age it is it really needs extra hours to get to where it should be. Strict regime of 16 hours every weekend will go some way to remedy things.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looks mint. I hope you're going to be very very happy, and expect you will be. Now you need to put some hours on it - at the age it is it really needs extra hours to get to where it should be. Strict regime of 16 hours every weekend will go some way to remedy things.
Absolutely NO hours REMEDY is needed!
Few put extra miles on their cars either (except for antiques),..... "just because they are needed".
Use is fine, when necessary (as opposed to zero use), but use simply for the sake of racking up hours, is seemingly just plain foolish!
My 8N sat for almost 9 years without even being started, has good compression, and runs just fine!
My 2006 L48 TLB (now 18yrs.) has about 263 hours.
I use it maybe 4-5 hours each year, ........because THAT is when I need it.
I would not drive it around my place,.... to just..... "put some hours on it".

Oh, for all the oil aficionados here,.....I use Rotella, in nearly everything I have!:ROFLMAO:,
I am confident that a guy who owns a Cummins diesel, and just bought a mint L3200, will be able to make a good diesel oil choice!

Last edited: