Decision Overload

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
A BH bucket coupler is a wonderful thing (I have it)
I would not, however, let that missing feature negate a purchase.
It is possible that there is an aftermarket coupler available for that machine, but you would need to check on that..
I do not believe that Kubota has a coupler for any machine smaller than their B26 dedicated TLB.
A B2601 is NOT a dedicated TLB.
Ah, I get it. I didnt realize there was a difference between TLB and the B2601 with the BH. Still learning, so thank you!

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
There are not as much $$ as I would have thought…but there are some out there…they do have some hours on them…maybe not the born on date hoping for, but they can be found in that $$ range.

Thanks RC. This helps clear up my misunderstanding!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There are not as much $$ as I would have thought…but there are some out there…they do have some hours on them…maybe not the born on date hoping for, but they can be found in that $$ range.

There are a bunch on Machinery trader listed for under $27,000, some under $25,000, and with under 700 hours.
I too am surprised!
Go to Machinery Trader: type in Kubota B26 TLB !

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
imho.... as long as your choice be in good condition/serviced/running as it should, any of the above sure to put a smile on a guys face and get a lot of work down efficiently.

1713394217274.jpeg

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
There are a bunch on Machinery trader listed for under $27,000, some under $25,000, and with under 700 hours.
I too am surprised!
Go to Machinery Trader: type in Kubota B26 TLB !
I think more than reasonable to find a pretty clean one for under 30k if patient. If hours and born on date don’t matter so much under 25k seems possible. IMO a construction TLB is a bit more capability (machine weight and lift) than the standard machine.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious... if 'AZ dirt IS as hard as concrete' why do you need a grade blade ,let alone a land plane ?
Farmer cross the road just used beam and chains to keep his 1,000' driveway beautiful, for decades.

Also what's a BH bucket coupler ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
curious... if 'AZ dirt IS as hard as concrete' why do you need a grade blade ,let alone a land plane ?
Farmer cross the road just used beam and chains to keep his 1,000' driveway beautiful, for decades.

A "bucket coupler" is for backhoe bucket changing only.
Kubota BH bucket couplers are made, and sold by Kubota, for their dedicated TLB, and mini-ex machines only!
B26 TLB, L47 TLB, and M62 TLB, are Kubota's only currently manufactured dedicated TLB's.
These machines also have loaders that are not removable (unless you bring your big tool box).
This coupler is exactly the same coupler that Kubota uses on most of their mini-ex machines!
Thus: most mini-ex buckets will fit any Kubota machine with the standard Kubota mini-ex coupler.

The coupler allows bucket connection while seated at the dedicated TLB backhoe station, and then curling the bucket to catch a set of bucket "ears".
No fiddling with pins or hammers to connect.
Only needing dismount to push in a small locking pin.

On the L47, & M62 I think the cost of this coupler alone, is approaching $900.
A really slick system!
Most all the big and small excavators use a similar system,...all brands.

I have the coupler on my L48 TLB.
I can change between either of my two buckets, and/or my root ripper (I love it) in about 3 minutes, with absolutely zero physical effort (did I mention that I am an old guy?)

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

When it rains it softens right up and potholes and ruts form super fast and then they stay that way if you don't fix them.

Quick attach for the BH bucket.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When it rains it softens right up and potholes and ruts form super fast and then they stay that way if you don't fix them.

Quick attach for the BH bucket.
Not to split hairs...but, for the BH buckets Kubota seems to call them "Quick Connect".
Marketing dept. terminology?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A good land place has the same cutting blade as box blade.
And a good land plane will have scarfers like a box blade.
Yes AZ ground is as hard as concrete.
Arizona is a big place. Where I used to live in Flagstaff, the soil was soft decomposed cinders.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes, the B2601 is the first on that list and I am really enticed by that one because it has a backhoe. The listing for it has a pin on bucket, which is a real drawback to have the added expense of getting the adaptor. Its just a little smaller than the L's from what I can see and that lack of weight makes me wonder. I dont need to haul water for the critters, but do have to haul hay. I have heard about the need for ballast weight and will def take that into account. Thanks for your input!
After owning a B series sized tractor for 20 years, I was glad to move up to a larger framed heavier machine. The increased stability alone is a substantial improvement. That L2502 is a lot more capable than the B2601, even though they are the same HP.

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
After owning a B series sized tractor for 20 years, I was glad to move up to a larger framed heavier machine. The increased stability alone is a substantial improvement. That L2502 is a lot more capable than the B2601, even though they are the same HP.
I've heard that in a lot of videos and posts so I'm leaning toward the L series after more research and possibly the 2501 or 2. I like the bigger frame and learned a lot about the impact of the hydraulic pump vs hp. Plus new... Plus no DPF!

Chris_

Equipment
2016 BX25, 2017 B2650
Jan 7, 2024
Winnipeg, MB
Unpopular opinion - You have just a couple of acres - you don't need anything very large.

From your list the B would be more than enough and you could probably make do with a BX. You could easily find one of those with a BH for the price you are looking for and have money left over . BX really punch above their weight. I've had one for three years and have done all the tasks you describe with ease.

Smaller tractor:
- Cheaper
- More manoeuvrable
- Easier to trailer and shelter
- Easier to get on and off
- Less fuel (easier to fuel up too)
- Uses many of the same implements of its larger cousins

I've seen many situations on this forum where people have overprescribed on size without real world experience on how capable some of these smaller machines are.

AzDesertDweller

Apr 17, 2024
Arizona
Unpopular opinion - You have just a couple of acres - you don't need anything very large.

From your list the B would be more than enough and you could probably make do with a BX. You could easily find one of those with a BH for the price you are looking for and have money left over . BX really punch above their weight. I've had one for three years and have done all the tasks you describe with ease.

Smaller tractor:
- Cheaper
- More manoeuvrable

I've seen many situations on this forum where people have overprescribed on size without real world experience on how capable some of these smaller machines are.
This is a really good point I should probably consider more. I'm trying to future proof myself a bit and may pick up some odd jobs in the area. No reason to think I couldn't upgrade later if that really materializes. Thx for the point of view!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is a really good point I should probably consider more. I'm trying to future proof myself a bit and may pick up some odd jobs in the area. No reason to think I couldn't upgrade later if that really materializes. Thx for the point of view!
I used to own 2.5 acres in Flagstaff and had a small B sized tractor. Yes, I did a lot with it, but it also felt unstable when using the loader and doing ground engagement. I had a blade that stopped the tractor when trying to cut potholes from a packed gravel road. Unless a few thousand dollars are a deal killer, why not buy the L over the B?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Late to the party.

Of the list you provide, the L2502 is the buy. Not much more expensive, and new. Second for me is the B2601 with backhoe. For random jobs that you don't even know need doing that's a good implement.

When people say "tractors don't depreciate like cars" what they mean is that tractors don't really depreciate at all. New tractors get more expensive, so your 3 year old tractor is worth less than a new one. But it's often worth what you paid for it. Depreciation is usually negligible. That's why you're listing out 9 year old tractors for nearly as much as a new one.

Conversely, first tractor. I always prefer used for first tractor. You break things on them. Easier when it's not a shiny new one.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I sure wish I could help, but alas, I was meant to be a Congressman.

So here's how we sell the plan to "the people" (aka wife in this instance):

Tell the people/wife this.

"Honey, if we put that $26,000 in an investment that compounds annually at 5%, and finance the tractor with Kubota's 0% for 6 years, we will have $36,000 at the end, which basically pays for the entire thing. That way we can order a new 2502 with FEL, SSQA, Box Blade and Backhoe right now, and have almost ~40K later. It's a total Win-Win!!!!"

Then when she signs off on the deal, you skillfully invest in "guns and ammo".....

Just be careful of taking them on boats; gun owners are notoriously bad boaters..... (y)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Smaller tractor:
- Cheaper
- More manoeuvrable

I have never heard it said: "I WISH I HAD BOUGHT A .....SMALLER TRCTOR"!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Arizona is a big place. Where I used to live in Flagstaff, the soil was soft decomposed cinders.
Just for the record he did state just north of Phoenix in the desert, and I do know all of that area very well, lived there for 21 years.