Death of a Small Business

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Being a small business owner, I found this sad! We are a dying breed. Fortunately, my kids didn't want any part of our business even though it provided our family a very good living with some personal freedom, you know, "The American Dream".

After twenty five years of building the Kubota product line in the Washington D.C. area, Kubota has terminated our dealer agreement. Unfortunately they have determined that our prime location is not good enough for them. But of course why wouldn't they think that? We are only on the oldest route in the country US1, and we are one whole block south of two of the busiest roads in America I95/I495. We are walking distance to The University of Maryland, The USDA, The FDA and minutes from Washington D.C., the seat of our federal government. There are no other tractor dealers inside the Capitol beltway and probably never will be again. So if you need an authorized Kubota dealer in the future, enjoy your ride and thank corporate America for continuing to walk all over the small businesses who built their name in the first place. In the mean time, we will continue serve our loyal customers, just as we have for the past 35 years at our unworthy location. P.S. If someone is interested in a bad location to purchase, we may consider selling it, Price $3.7million.​

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Being a small business owner, I found this sad! We are a dying breed. Fortunately, my kids didn't want any part of our business even though it provided our family a very good living with some personal freedom, you know, "The American Dream".

After twenty five years of building the Kubota product line in the Washington D.C. area, Kubota has terminated our dealer agreement. Unfortunately they have determined that our prime location is not good enough for them. But of course why wouldn't they think that? We are only on the oldest route in the country US1, and we are one whole block south of two of the busiest roads in America I95/I495. We are walking distance to The University of Maryland, The USDA, The FDA and minutes from Washington D.C., the seat of our federal government. There are no other tractor dealers inside the Capitol beltway and probably never will be again. So if you need an authorized Kubota dealer in the future, enjoy your ride and thank corporate America for continuing to walk all over the small businesses who built their name in the first place. In the mean time, we will continue serve our loyal customers, just as we have for the past 35 years at our unworthy location. P.S. If someone is interested in a bad location to purchase, we may consider selling it, Price $3.7million.​

cant touch the 3.7 but it is sad that they are pulling out! I would think if sales are good they would want to continue. Sorry to hear about your situation it is very sad ! :(

Could it be that the smell from D.C. is too toxic? You know that smell of all that corruption and what not??? :eek: (yes it was there and I had to take it)

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Not my business but I do have a small business. The political environment in D.C. is toxic but I have to say the city is amazing and only getting better. Actually the smell is no worse than most parts. Sorry about the confusion.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Obviously some former government administrators must be making decisions for kubota. Looks like another case of head up a$$ Syndrome.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ain't that the truth. It's a shame that they do that. Don't like the numbers, even though they are still turning a profit. Then sorry about your luck, you don't fit our image any more. Seen it happen to one of the tool trucks coming to the shop a few years back. Poor guy went into the hospital for a week, then couldn't drive for another week. They stepped in and pulled the franchise. 3rd week there was a new tool man rolling into the shop. They sure didn't waste any time pimping tools. New guy didn't waste any time bad mouthing the other guy. Told him to not bother coming back

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo

MXBX,
Sorry to hear that Kubota is pulling out. :( I truly hope that this will NOT mean the end of your business. :) Business places that give the PERSONAL touch are getting to be almost nonexistent these days. :mad: It has been a long time since my last trip to MD, however, if I were closer to you I would CONTINUE dealing with you in spite of the change.

Best of luck to you and your enterprise ! ! ! :D

Dave

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Our world is run by bean counters and lawyers. Their expected to be inhuman and they continually prove they are.

But it is to be expected.... was even for told. The meek shall inherit the earth

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Our world is run by bean counters and lawyers. Their expected to be inhuman and they continually prove they are.

But it is to be expected.... was even for told. The meek shall inherit the earth
I think that was meant in a slightly different way, :) Once again it's not my small business but a long standing Kubota dealership in my area. The landscape for many professions is rapidly changing, especially for small "Mom and Pop" businesses. I guess we just have to adapt and move on. I just find it sad how the human touch is getting lost in all this and how the middle class is rapidly shrinking.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I think the middle class isn't shrinking, it's being redefined.

When being 'wealthy' consists of making over $150,000 a year as a couple, you just hacked of a huge section of the middle class.

When being 'poor' is making less than $50,000 per year as a couple, the entire lower spectra of the middle class vanishes.

When 'rich people' (see above definition of 'wealthy') are constantly told they don't pay their fair share of taxes, even though they pay almost 75% of all taxes taken in, it also says that they should stop working because someone is just going to take more.

When the 'poor people' are told the government must take care of you and that you are too inept, victimized, or incapable of taking care of yourself, you ask for that help, get it and stop working.

The labor force in this nation is at critical lows. The unemployment numbers do not take into account people that have dropped out of the labor force entirely.

Entitlements are at stratospheric highs, so much so that our unfunded liabilities are going to crush us in less than a decade if something is not done. They will make the last recession look like a tickle fight.

The middle class, as defined from 50-150 thousand dollars annual income, will vanish entirely in the next decade or two just from the stated factors.

I'm not placing blame, I'm not suggesting a fix, I'm just designating factual accounts from economic sectors. It's not ideology, it's not party based, it just is what it is.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I think that was meant in a slightly different way, :) Once again it's not my small business but a long standing Kubota dealership in my area. The landscape for many professions is rapidly changing, especially for small "Mom and Pop" businesses. I guess we just have to adapt and move on. I just find it sad how the human touch is getting lost in all this and how the middle class is rapidly shrinking.
MXBX,
Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. :eek: :eek: :eek: I still hope that it doesn't hurt the economy in your area. Best of luck. :)

Dave

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hell I had no idea there was a dealer in D.C. Surprised to hear that since Congressmen arent tractor dudes.

Kubota probably pulled their licensing agreements because that tractor isnt doing enough sales volume. Head just outside of D.C. to Manassas and Byrd Tractor is booming.

I would have thought after hauling freight from Richmond to all over D.C. twice a day sometimes 5 days a week. Sooner or later I would passed by a Kubota dealer. Cant recall seeing one.

And I was all over the I95 I495 area, hauled tons of precast pipe for the 495 HOT lanes expansion.