Death blow of an era

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
We at the Midtown wish to thank all of our loyal and dedicated customers that have supported us this year. We are closed for the 2013 season. Due to the movie industry's decision to quit making 35 MM film after 2013, the Midtown Drive-In will close as a Theatre.
If there is a few movie companies that by chance change there policy and do continue to distribute movies on film then we may can run a limited schedule in 2014. We will keep the web-site up until that time to see what our fate may be.
Thanks to our many loyal customers for sharing the great time we had.
Doug Freeman/Owner

http://www.bluemoontheatres.com/midtown.htm

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All movie theaters movies are now in digital format, if they really wanted to keep it open they would just have to do what the indoor theaters have done and change to digital projectors.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea they had a big fund drive up here for a theater that needed to change their projectors.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
We have a movie theatre here in Richmond Va, the Byrd Theatre built in 1928 still shows films to this day at 2 dollars each. If this indoor theatre can survive 86 years and still show movies then any other theatre can do the same. Just have to get creative. The Byrd theatre shows classic black and white films to some modern day films.

http://byrdtheatre.com/

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That's true Eric but they have filled a nitch, and that's something drive-ins cannot do, I know where I grew up around the Burgh the drive-ins have all gone and are now housing complexes, condos for yuppies. There was one that during the summer had a hot rod night every other weekend was really neat, old 50 and 60 horror films street rods burn outs after the show, you know fun times. But alas the glitter wore off and they closed there door/gate.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yea they had a big fund drive up here for a theater that needed to change their projectors.
They did the same here for an old indoor theater. Something like $50k for 2 projectors.

They were successful, and the theater is open.

We have a drive-in ~30 miles from here. Makes me wonder if they will survive.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
There are too many other ways to be entertained these days, I'm surprised that there are that many still open.

We had one in our area when I was growing up, the Egyptian Drive In, it is now closed. It was cool when I was young and wanted to get out of the house, but I cant see myself sitting in my car to watch a movie anymore. Hell I don't really care for the movie theater either, Its to expensive and not all that comfortable.

With the advent of BIG screen TVs, and I mean BIG flat screens and more and more homes having their own mini movie theaters, I don't see them lasting. I personally don't have a huge tv just one big enough for the living room. I did notice one at Sam's Club last week that was maybe 4'x6', not sure if that's exactly right but I couldn't be that far off.

Last edited:

dieseldude

Sep 21, 2012
Baltimore, MD
The one we have here, "The Bengies drive in", is starting it's 58th year starting this spring. I believe they just did a complete upgrade of projection equipment, sound equipment.

With it being a land mark, who know what it's fate will be with big screen tv's. Maybe thier claim of the biggest screen helps out.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
The Saco drive in, close to me in Saco Maine was the 17th recorded drive in builtand currently the second oldest existing. Honda did a contest this past summer for new digital projectors for a certain amount of drive ins. Saco was voted the first one to receive the projector. If they hadn't, I'm not sure they would be here. We love to take our boys to the drive in. :)