Dead B5200

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
I have a B5200Dt which has been having some "progressive" starting issues. It started with a very old battery with no charge (and after I checked, one cell with water). I was able to jump start the tractor several times beofre I replaced the Battery.

The Battery is 3 weeks old and now it to won't start. I can't turn over the engine, there are no lights, and I can't turn the ignition switch to the left (glow plug start) and see any lights. The only lights on the dash come on when I turn the switch to the first postion to the right (run position).

I can't jump it anymore, it is just dead. My thoughts are a short in the electrical, dead alternator....

If the alternator (rectifier) is dead can the tractor still be jumped?

Can this be somewhere else in the starting electrical?

How can I troubleshoot?

Any and all help is welcome!!! The tractor is dead in my driveway, hence my name....

Thank you in advance

kubotakiller

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
The alternator/rectifier has nothing to do with starting. It only replaces the energy that you us out of the battery. Look for a bad/dirty electrical connection. Start at the battery posts and then check the. Groung to the chassis. Good luck.
JWB

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
Thanx JWB. Already have taken off the ground and reconnected. Could this be at the starter? That's what my father keeps telling me? Or at the switch? Do you think it is a bad ground and not a short?

Kubotakiller

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The Battery is 3 weeks old and now it to won't start. I can't turn over the engine, there are no lights, and I can't turn the ignition switch to the left (glow plug start) and see any lights. I can't jump it anymore, it is just dead. My thoughts are a short in the electrical, dead alternator....

Any and all help is welcome!!! The tractor is dead in my driveway, hence my name....

:eek: :eek: KUBOTA KILLER :eek: :eek:

We really gotta talk you outta that screen name.......the poor tractor might get a complex. :D

If a switch won't turn you need to check it to see if the internal contacts are conducting power. If it is broken up and the contacts are staying together then this could kill the new batt and make it impossible to start too.

It is possible that power surges from jump starting burned out the ignition switch so you need to check continuity and resistance in that switch too.

Are you certain that the (+) and (-) are at the proper polarity for the tractor. Most all Kubota's are (-) ground. If yours is (-) ground then make sure that the battery is connected this way.

We don't condone killing Kubota's here. :D :D

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
Thanxz candle wax...bat is hooked up correct.

Battery also has a kickin charge (trickle charged over the night). Just finished going thru and checking all grounds (as far as I can see) and cleaning all contact surfaces. Haven't gotten up to the switch yet. Looking at it looks like you need to be a gymnast to get at it. Any ideas on best way to get to the switch?

side note: My brother has 3 kubotas (and had about 12) and you really can't kill them! But, I sure do try! :)

KK

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Heres a little trick. Take a piece of wire, attach one end to the positive batt. Post, touch the other end to the small connector on the starter. This will be the one the small gauge wire connects to. If the starter engages and tries to turn the tractor over then you know that the problem is either in the switch or the wiring harness. If it clicks or does nothing without turning over then either the starter motor, batt. Connections, or silenoid is bad. This should help start narrowing the problem down.
JWB

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
much obliged JWB! Great ideas for troubleshooting! Just finished working outside. I will try these and let you know what I find...hopefully a live kubota!

kubotakiller

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Double tripple and quadrouple check the the cable leads and make sure they are hooked correctly. I re-wired mine about 2 years ago and put mine in backasswards and didnt even realize it. I kept killing new batteries and I could chage one and start the tractor and as soon as I shut it off the battery was to dead to restart. I must have looked at my battery cables a million times over the 2 years and it took a friend of mine to discover it within 5 mintues and we got it straight.

A second pair of eyes never hurts.

Kellysw

Equipment
B7200 HST Snow blade auger lawn mowing
May 1, 2010
Van Meter Iowa
Well on my B7200 the problem on mine was driying out the cells on the battery. Even when I repalce the battery . Keep in mind the battery will heat up when trying to start.The problem persisted. I went
ahead and changed the ignition switch. (It wouldn't stay tight and spun in the
dash making starts dificult.) This still did not fix the problem.

It wasn't untill I checked with a meter from the starterto the ground
cable terminal that I realized the problem. The ground cable was a
encapsulated lead onto a copper wire. The bond between the wire
and the battery clamp was the problem. Having a volt meter will help
you a bunch. A bad conection build resistance and there fore heat.

As for changing the ignition switch you have to carefully pull it down below the dash pannel. Its a circus act but can be done. Make sure you take pictures and a drawing of the wire place ment is a must.

Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Kelly in Van Meter Iowa...

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! every time I get a chance to work on the tractor I'm whipped from working outside. Now after a good nights sleep, and rereading your responses, Eric nailed it! After checking four times, I realized the replacement battery needed to be turned 180 degrees because the terminals were too close to the radiator / air screen!

REVERSED GROUND...unbelievable! I'm down worshiping the Orangetractortalks peeps!
Well Done Gents!

I guess I need to change my name now from KubotaKiller to DucheBag...

Thanks again

Kubotakiller

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Glad he didnt have to suffer for long like I did, because it was one helluva headache for damn near 2 years before I figured out my problem.

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
Okay guys...bad news. I still suffer! Battery was connected correctly.
JWB you stated to connect a wire from the positive bat. post to the small gauge wire post on the starter. Isn't this the ground (-) side? Is this correct?

KK

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Okay guys...bad news. I still suffer! Battery was connected correctly.
JWB you stated to connect a wire from the positive bat. post to the small gauge wire post on the starter. Isn't this the ground (-) side? Is this correct?

KK

The very smallest guage wire to the starter solenoid should be the power signal from the start switch. By using a power, batt (+) jumper you can determine if there is any loss of power, voltage drop, or anything else by just substituting that function.

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
Thanks Aqua.

Tracing out the red wire in the harness, goes from the pos bat post to the lug on the starter, then another red wire runs up to the ignition switch circuit. So by going from the pos. bat post to the small spade terminal on the starter bypasses the ignition switch circuit. Correct? If it bumps over the starter, starter is good and I look towards the ign switch...

KK

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
If you do the bypass trick be aware that it also bypasses the safety interlocks. Make doubley sure the tractor is out of gear just in case it decides to burst into life and destroys the end of the building or worst still,a person
dave

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Not sure as there's lots of advice flying through here but have you checked ALL of your fuses? With all the jump starting and such you probably smoked at least one.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks Aqua.

Tracing out the red wire in the harness, goes from the pos bat post to the lug on the starter, then another red wire runs up to the ignition switch circuit. So by going from the pos. bat post to the small spade terminal on the starter bypasses the ignition switch circuit. Correct? If it bumps over the starter, starter is good and I look towards the ign switch...

KK

Yes that is right. :)

kubotakiller

Equipment
B2150 HST, B5200 DT
May 23, 2010
west kingston, ri
Yes that is right. :)
To All, thanks for all the insight, troubleshooting techniques, etc.
CC Wax , I didn't kill it either.
After tracing all through and following all troubleshooting ideas, I went back to square one. Using a test light and connecting to the ground and then to the pos post of the battery, I measured a good 12+ v. When measuring on the positive post of the starter I measured 4+ V. The drop came right at the positive lug. After disconnecting, pulling out the cable and cleaning, I reconnected and turned the key...
She turned over!:)
she's been running excellent ever since.

Thanx again!

Kubotakiller