Cutting Edge Blade

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
I just purchased a new BX 2380. I have seen other tractors with that blade that is bolted to the bucket. Is that something that is worth getting?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats on the machine...

The answer to your question is Yes. They work very well for grubbing, digging and all around general destruction. Most go with the Piranha tooth bar.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just purchased a new BX 2380. I have seen other tractors with that blade that is bolted to the bucket. Is that something that is worth getting?
As DD said.....well worth the price, the increase in work completed per unit of time as well as keeping the original edge untouched.

I have never heard of anyone saying...."I paid too much for this and it is not worth the money" .....that being said of the Piranha tooth bar.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My PTB probably increased the bucket's digging power by a factor of ten.
Every couple years I need the clear the end of a county culvert to prevent dirt from washing in. If I use the bucket without the toothbar, the bucket just skitters along the surface, removing maybe an inch of material. I have had to resort to the backhoe in the past. With the toothbar, I did it easily in 2 scoops. Pretty amazing.
Check out posts #75-#78:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38299&highlight=Piranha&page=8
Do a search for Piranha Toothbar, there are several threads.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
As DD said.....well worth the price, the increase in work completed per unit of time as well as keeping the original edge untouched.

I have never heard of anyone saying...."I paid too much for this and it is not worth the money" .....that being said of the Piranha tooth bar.
As Hokie said. Money well spent. It protects the original edge and really strengthens the bucket. It is really easy with the holes already in the bucket and a cutting edge made to fit. I bought one, had to cut to fit, and drilled holes with a magdrill to install on my B2650. I also welded on a couple of wear strips on the bottom while I was at it.

View attachment 40034

View attachment 40035

View attachment 40036

Last edited:

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
After reading about it looks like I might have to get the Piranha Blade. I live on a hill and am wanting to terrace it over time. I took the bucket as it came with the tractor and dug straight in to the hill and was surprised that this was not going to be as easy as I thought. Dragging backwards would do better. So you guys think with this I can dig straight into the hill? It's not hard land at all.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There's a reason they named that attachment a Front End Loader. They don't call it a Front End Digger.

When equipped with a decent edge (or plenty of horsepower) it is capable of some digging. About 6 years ago I used a B7500 and the L3200 to move a good part of the yard to bury a 1,000 gallon propane tank. I had the vendor set it at the base of a bank, then extended and tapered the bank to cover the tank.

The soil was taken from an area that I could take a cut from that was from zero on one end to over foot on the other. Both buckets had DIY edges added that were sharpened on an angle. This allowed me to go along and shave an inch or so at a time.

Last week (pics below) I made an edge for the L4240 bucket from a plain piece of 3/8 thick x 4" or 5" steel that I found in the scrap bin at work. This one isn't sharpened and only serves as a sacrificial piece in case the bucket gets used for snow.

The Piranha edges really look like they would make digging easier, and if I had an application for one I'd love to give it a try.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
After reading about it looks like I might have to get the Piranha Blade. I live on a hill and am wanting to terrace it over time. I took the bucket as it came with the tractor and dug straight in to the hill and was surprised that this was not going to be as easy as I thought. Dragging backwards would do better. So you guys think with this I can dig straight into the hill? It's not hard land at all.
Allen, don't know about your experience with using a loader, but just a work of caution when back-dragging.

Do not extend the cylinders all the way out and have the cutting edge back towards your front tires. Only extend the cylinders to the vertical position as a maximum. Having your cylinders fully extended and back-dragging is a sure way to destroy the cylinders.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When thoust shall install the toothed piranha bar upon thy tractor bucket. Remember that thou shalest place thy bucket flat upon the good earth.
Leave not thy front end loader raised lest ye shall utter words of damnation upon the toothed aggressor.
And words of naughtyness shall flow forth from thy lips, as the blood from thy shin, while ye limpth toward thy castle seeking medical aid.

So end this mornings gospel according to Saint Skeets

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
Allen, don't know about your experience with using a loader, but just a work of caution when back-dragging.

Do not extend the cylinders all the way out and have the cutting edge back towards your front tires. Only extend the cylinders to the vertical position as a maximum. Having your cylinders fully extended and back-dragging is a sure way to destroy the cylinders.
Yes, thank you. I have already been told that.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
When thoust shall install the toothed piranha bar upon thy tractor bucket. Remember that thou shalest place thy bucket flat upon the good earth.
Leave not thy front end loader raised lest ye shall utter words of damnation upon the toothed aggressor.
And words of naughtyness shall flow forth from thy lips, as the blood from thy shin, while ye limpth toward thy castle seeking medical aid.

So end this mornings gospel according to Saint Skeets
This. Leaving the bucket tilted a bit on the ground turns the PTB into your worst shin banging experience of all time. My wife even got a nice little injury bumping into it wearing sandals when the edge was about 3" above the ground. Its crazy sharp...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I split a 2" ABS pipe & a 2" PVC pipe so they slip over (with some tapping) my toothbar to try to minimize lower limb near amputations. Didn't have time to get a pic on the last trip, but I will next time. Not sure which will work best/longest, but I think I favor the PVC just because it's white, higher visibility.

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
Well I went ahead and ordered the Piranha Blade and the Quick Attach Pallet Forks as well. Looking forward to playing with them. Thanks for all the input.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
You found a hill in Florida? Congrats, I lived there 15 years and didn't see too many high elevations of earth, lol.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I always have some pieces of 4" flexible drain pipe, so I use it for everything. I cut of a piece to put over a bale spike to keep anyone from being impaled.

It would be easy to slice it to fit over a toothbar.