Custom Grading Blade Cutting Edge

TwitchyMcJoe

Equipment
1980 L185DT
Hey everyone,

I have acquired an ancient, 7 foot, Grove Manufacturing Company three point grading blade that was cheap for good reason. Although it will probably outlive me with how heavy-built it is, the cutting edge needs replaced. Does anyone have experience with making their own from a blank? Is it as easy as "Make hole pattern, drill on drill press, bolt on," or is there some trick to it? Thanks.

Last edited:

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Even though ancient, unless you have the facilities to fabricate and harden the steel, consider purchasing a new one. Most blades use standard size and hole spacing, and most are reversable. Check the site below, I'm sure there are others.

Steel Grader Blades – DMC Wear Parts

Reactions: 1 user

TwitchyMcJoe

Equipment
1980 L185DT
Even though ancient, unless you have the facilities to fabricate and harden the steel, consider purchasing a new one. Most blades use standard size and hole spacing, and most are reversable. Check the site below, I'm sure there are others.

Steel Grader Blades – DMC Wear Parts
Thanks. I'll check the spacing on it today. I did find a little more information on it from this brochure for sale on eBay. The blade on it it is reversible as well, and the other side actually might be in good shape.

I also now know a model number, but it does me no good. Haha.
20240418_072144.jpg

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Interesting. I never knew Grove made tractor implements. I only knew them as a crane company.

Fun Fact. JLG are the initials of the founder of Grove Cranes, John Landis Grove.

TwitchyMcJoe

Equipment
1980 L185DT
Interesting. I never knew Grove made tractor implements. I only knew them as a crane company.

Fun Fact. JLG are the initials of the founder of Grove Cranes, John Landis Grove.
I can't find any more information online, so I'm not sure what else they made either.

20240418_085358.jpg

The other side of the blade is in good shape, so when I need to flip it, I won't have to order a new one.

20240418_085620.jpg

Sadly, the label was painted over. So its hard to get any identification off of it except "Grove" and "Pennsylvania." The model number is missing, but I think I identified it from that brochure.

It's solid, and it will look good in orange.
20240418_085338.jpg

Edit: I did find more brochures. It looks like they at least made tilting trailers and post hole diggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I can't find any more information online, so I'm not sure what else they made either.

View attachment 126621
The other side of the blade is in good shape, so when I need to flip it, I won't have to order a new one.

View attachment 126622
Sadly, the label was painted over. So its hard to get any identification off of it except "Grove" and "Pennsylvania." The model number is missing, but I think I identified it from that brochure.

It's solid, and it will look good in orange.
View attachment 126623

Edit: I did find more brochures. It looks like they at least made tilting trailers and post hole diggers.
A blast from the past...built to last. Over the years I've seen several very similarly built. A good candidate for hydraulic angle.

Reactions: 1 user