Crank but no start Kubota L4600 HST

rmoody

Jun 30, 2018
Scotts Hill, TN
Got a 2011 l4600 that won’t start. Thought it was fuel issue at first but now I’m thinking it’s oil pressure after finding a missing expansion plug on the front block. I’m curious if anyone has ever lost one of these plugs and why it would blow out? When I crank the tractor, oil pisses out of the hole and I can hear the oil draining back into the sump.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
An oil plug being out in itself wouldn't stop it from starting, but if the engine is damaged from lack of oil to the bearings it might not be spinning fast enough to start.

I don't think I've ever seen a case of that specific plug being out of it? :confused:

rmoody

Jun 30, 2018
Scotts Hill, TN
I haven’t either. Apparently nobody has that I’ve found. Kubota calls it an expansion plug as if it’s a freeze plug but it’s going into oil pan not coolant. I’m afraid there is something more serious than a simple plug falling out. I have very little fuel pumping from the injection pump. I was told low oil pressure would cause low injection pump pressure as well. Going to get a cause tomorrow and go from there. I bought the tractor not running so I’m not sure what I’ve gotten into yet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I haven***8217;t either. Apparently nobody has that I***8217;ve found. Kubota calls it an expansion plug as if it***8217;s a freeze plug but it***8217;s going into oil pan not coolant. I***8217;m afraid there is something more serious than a simple plug falling out. I have very little fuel pumping from the injection pump. I was told low oil pressure would cause low injection pump pressure as well. Going to get a cause tomorrow and go from there. I bought the tractor not running so I***8217;m not sure what I***8217;ve gotten into yet.
That's a V2203, very good motor and very easy to work on.
One good thing to note is that is a widely used engine and there are a ton of them out there so parts or a whole engine is easy enough to get.
I bought a V2203 for my bobcat as a replacement for a V1702, for $1200 and it runs perfectly!

The V2203 has a mechanical injection pump, so again the low oil pressure has zero effect on the injection pump working or not working.

I would start with getting the plug installing it, bringing the oil back up to level, putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and see what oil pressure you get while cranking it.

As far as you not getting fuel, manually feed the injection pump from above it with a bottle and see if you get it to flow, if it's sat for any length of time it could be gummed up.

Last edited:

rmoody

Jun 30, 2018
Scotts Hill, TN
That's a V2203, very good motor and very easy to work on.
One good thing to note is that is a widely used engine and there are a ton of them out there so parts or a whole engine is easy enough to get.
I bought a V2203 for my bobcat as a replacement for a V1702, for $1200 and it runs perfectly!

The V2203 has a mechanical injection pump, so again the low oil pressure has zero effect on the injection pump working or not working.

I would start with getting the plug installing it, bringing the oil back up to level, putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and see what oil pressure you get while cranking it.

As far as you not getting fuel, manually feed the injection pump from above it with a bottle and see if you get it to flow, if it's sat for any length of time it could be gummed up.

So.... I got the plug and installed it. For anyone ever needing one in the future the part number is 17391-96160. I ordered from Messicks since i wasn't going to be near my dealer anytime soon. Now that the plug is installed and sealed up, oil level is full but I haven't checked oil pressure yet. I plan on doing that as soon as i get a gauge. I AM getting fuel through the mechanical lift pump and a small amount spurts out of the injection pump when lines are removed. I believe it's not enough fuel pressure to pop the injectors though. Can anyone tell me about how high it should spurt out of the pump when turning over? I'm getting 1-2" max. The mechanical pump seems to be pumping well enough but i'm also not sure how much should come out of that either.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So.... I got the plug and installed it. For anyone ever needing one in the future the part number is 17391-96160. I ordered from Messicks since i wasn't going to be near my dealer anytime soon. Now that the plug is installed and sealed up, oil level is full but I haven't checked oil pressure yet. I plan on doing that as soon as i get a gauge. I AM getting fuel through the mechanical lift pump and a small amount spurts out of the injection pump when lines are removed. I believe it's not enough fuel pressure to pop the injectors though. Can anyone tell me about how high it should spurt out of the pump when turning over? I'm getting 1-2" max. The mechanical pump seems to be pumping well enough but i'm also not sure how much should come out of that either.
Bypass everything and feed fuel directly to the injection pump via a line and bottle above it, make sure the bleeder valve is closed.
With the throttle set to high check the fountains again.
If it's still that low, then the pump will need to be gone through, if you want it checked out give me a shout via PM.

rmoody

Jun 30, 2018
Scotts Hill, TN
Bypass everything and feed fuel directly to the injection pump via a line and bottle above it, make sure the bleeder valve is closed.
With the throttle set to high check the fountains again.
If it's still that low, then the pump will need to be gone through, if you want it checked out give me a shout via PM.
I'm going to tear into it more today. As little as i know about injection pumps, i don't believe it would just completely go out on all 4 cylinders would it? Seems to me like one or 2 may go down at once but not all 4. I'm going to try your suggestion and see what i can find out. If i can't get it going myself soon, i'll be looking for a new pump. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If that was with it being feed from a bottle, then pump needs gone through, it's not too bad of a job if you've done it before.
If you need help with it send me a PM and I'll help you out. ;)

rmoody

Jun 30, 2018
Scotts Hill, TN
If that was with it being feed from a bottle, then pump needs gone through, it's not too bad of a job if you've done it before.
If you need help with it send me a PM and I'll help you out. ;)
Still haven’t bottle fed it. Should I squeeze the bottle or gravity feed it?

The mechanical pump is pumping and seems to be ok but it fountains also as the cam lobe hits. I assume that is how they are designed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Still haven’t bottle fed it. Should I squeeze the bottle or gravity feed it?

The mechanical pump is pumping and seems to be ok but it fountains also as the cam lobe hits. I assume that is how they are designed.
Just gravity feed. :D