Couple questions

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
2nd question. I bought new belt, because old belt was worn and loose. Got in touch with parts department, and pretty sure I got the right belt, but it is loose. The tension arm is not even pulled in at all. Thinking about adding another pulley to the deck right where my finger is pointing in one pic. You can see how loose the belt is, I can pull it that far with no tension.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
2nd question. I bought new belt, because old belt was worn and loose. Got in touch with parts department, and pretty sure I got the right belt, but it is loose. The tension arm is not even pulled in at all. Thinking about adding another pulley to the deck right where my finger is pointing in one pic. You can see how loose the belt is, I can pull it that far with no tension.
first of all - you are running too hot!!!! 200 should be about the hottest you want to be!

clean radiator
clean it better than you did the first time!!!!
check belt on water pump if so equipped.
check for dirt around the shroud and fan blades.
check coolant level and type
check radiator cap
check with infrared thermometer to check accuracy of gauge!

now about that belt....

something does not look right at all.........

that spring should have a hellva lot more tension that it does in picture #3!

your belt is too long.......or wrapped around something incorrectly.

compare your old belt to new ???? SAME size? then your new belt is too big and will only get bigger over time as it wears.

I would not add another pulley - take the belt back and get one an inch shorter or whatever will place a good bit of tension on that idler pulley!;):)

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
first of all - you are running too hot!!!! 200 should be about the hottest you want to be!

clean radiator
clean it better than you did the first time!!!!
check belt on water pump if so equipped.
check for dirt around the shroud and fan blades.
check coolant level and type
check radiator cap
check with infrared thermometer to check accuracy of gauge!

now about that belt....

something does not look right at all.........

that spring should have a hellva lot more tension that it does in picture #3!

your belt is too long.......or wrapped around something incorrectly.

compare your old belt to new ???? SAME size? then your new belt is too big and will only get bigger over time as it wears.

I would not add another pulley - take the belt back and get one an inch shorter or whatever will place a good bit of tension on that idler pulley!;):)
Okay, thanks will clean radiator and change fluid. Just bought the mower.

As far as the belt, it is a double V, impossible to find locally, and only place I can get it is from the dealer. Looking at the pic of the belt in the manual it looks correct. But the one pulley barely does anything. Belt barley touches it. Can't figure out how else it could mount.

Grizzy3901

Equipment
L3901hst, la525, 72" landpride finish mower
Jan 1, 2017
Bealeton va
If you can when cleaning the radiator clean it from the inside out do debris is taking the same path as it goes in. Check the fins on the radiator make sure someone didn't take a pressure washer to it and fold the fins over so air can't get between the coils

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The pulley with the yellow arrow really does nothing, the belt routing can be seen by the line I drew.
Your belt looks like it should come down around the pulley by the arrow and ride on the backside maybe.

For sure the belt is too long as it's wrapped now, but I would not add a pulley. The tension spring, as 85Hokie mentioned, is not doing anything. The belt has to be re-wrapped to create that spring do stretch to the point you need a "monkey" wrench to get it off the belt!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The pulley with the yellow arrow really does nothing, the belt routing can be seen by the line I drew.
that pulley with the yellow arrow....
does it have the twin grooves? or is it flat? If flat then the belt is wrong around that one.

That pulley does what? There is no blade under that one, it simply keeps tension on the two outer ones, if not mistaken.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Your belt looks like it should come down around the pulley by the arrow and ride on the backside maybe.

For sure the belt is too long as it's wrapped now, but I would not add a pulley. The tension spring, as 85Hokie mentioned, is not doing anything. The belt has to be re-wrapped to create that spring do stretch to the point you need a "monkey" wrench to get it off the belt!
It can't go around that pulley with the yellow arrow. If it does it will run right across the spring for the tension pulley.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
that pulley with the yellow arrow....
does it have the twin grooves? or is it flat? If flat then the belt is wrong around that one.

That pulley does what? There is no blade under that one, it simply keeps tension on the two outer ones, if not mistaken.
It is a flat pulley, the belt is a double V groove belt. And no nothing is under it, not really sure what it is supposed to do. Can't figure out any other way to route the belt.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Okay, feel like a idiot. The mower has a screen over the radiator like my kubota does, but it is hidden well. Found it, and it was covered. Cleaned it off, and mower never got above 175F. Still going to change fluid though.

Against advice I moved the pulley. I believe the pulley was added by a previous owner, because it had a nut under it. All factory pulleys are threaded into the deck. Here are the pics of the deck now that I moved that pulley. Mower works great now.

Attachments