Could my grave be on my land?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I guess this is an off-the-wall question, but I sometimes have off-the-wall thoughts…

Could I set things up somehow so that my grave could be on my land, and the land somehow be considered protected as a cemetery-type situation.

I don’t care, if this would be possible, how it might affect the property value afterwards.

No, I’m not thinking about just dumping my body in a hole and covering it up with the backhoe.

What I was thinking about, was being cremated and planting the ashes along with a tombstone.

My understanding is that the ashes, after your cremated, are considered no different than potting soil or something else along those lines.

How crazy is this idea? I was thinking I could get a tombstone made in advance, and my offspring could put my ashes in a piece of plastic pipe with caps on the end and stick it in the ground next to the tombstone.

Seems like that might be better than throwing the ashes on the ground and letting rain washed them away…

Don’t tell me I’m a strange dude because I already realize that.

Again, how crazy is this idea? I’ve learned in life to ask questions and evaluate the answers. Sort of like if you don’t ask, then you don’t see all the aspects kind of thing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Here in Ontario, yes you can bury someone's ashes on your property however....
When relatives come to see you, the new owners of the land will be shocked !
Also it'd be a good idea( if not law..) to say that in the 'house for sale ad'... previous owner is buried on property.
I KNOW lady behind and her 3 friends are buried on the property, don't know if the current owner KNOWS about them.
Best check with the local funeral home ? heck maybe Google knows !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I guess this is an off-the-wall question, but I sometimes have off-the-wall thoughts…

Could I set things up somehow so that my grave could be on my land, and the land somehow be considered protected as a cemetery-type situation.

I don’t care, if this would be possible, how it might affect the property value afterwards.

No, I’m not thinking about just dumping my body in a hole and covering it up with the backhoe.

What I was thinking about, was being cremated and planting the ashes along with a tombstone.

My understanding is that the ashes, after your cremated, are considered no different than potting soil or something else along those lines.

How crazy is this idea? I was thinking I could get a tombstone made in advance, and my offspring could put my ashes in a piece of plastic pipe with caps on the end and stick it in the ground next to the tombstone.

Seems like that might be better than throwing the ashes on the ground and letting rain washed them away…

Don’t tell me I’m a strange dude because I already realize that.

Again, how crazy is this idea? I’ve learned in life to ask questions and evaluate the answers. Sort of like if you don’t ask, then you don’t see all the aspects kind of thing.
There's a grave on my neighbor's property. The headstone is confusing with the date of death being before the date of birth. The new owners were somewhat thrown by this, particularly the day that a woman showed up at the house asking if she could visit her daughter's grave. The woman's baby passed away before she was born, hence the reversal of the born and died dates. The original owners were allowed to bury their daughter on the property. It makes me sad thinking of it to be honest,

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here in Ontario, yes you can bury someone's ashes on your property however....
When relatives come to see you, the new owners of the land will be shocked !
Also it'd be a good idea( if not law..) to say that in the 'house for sale ad'... previous owner is buried on property.
I KNOW lady behind and her 3 friends are buried on the property, don't know if the current owner KNOWS about them.
Best check with the local funeral home ? heck maybe Google knows !
I figured if I would do it that I would have a notation put on the deed that the gravesite existed and should be respected. Perhaps even form it in the way of a right away for descendants to have access.

Just looking for thoughts on the subject so that I can become better informed about the possibilities.

Just looking to avoid the possibility that in the future, someone would come in with a backhoe and dig the grave up and dump it in a dumpster along with the tombstone… Not that it matters much but you know what I mean maybe…

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im thinking here in the Keystone, you have to have so much land to be buried on your place,,, unless you get burned up, then the flower bed is good :)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A lot depends on the property and local and state laws. I know of a famous person whose ashes are buried on his property and there is a fence around the grave site. Not certain why the fence, was because I doubt that anyone would want to steal his ashes, but you never know. I know in the South there are many family graveyards on old plantations, however, more than likely no one has been buried there in decades.
Henro, may I recommend Dr. Swartz to you. He is a taxidermist and will do a beautiful job. He could position you on your tractor and put you into a small building with a large glass window so your friends could come by and observe you and your tractor.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

From the article ....

"If you are considering a home burial for a loved one, it is good to know that most states make it perfectly legal to take a body home from the hospital, nursing home, or other institution and bury it on your private property. Only Indiana, California and Washington State outlaw the practice totally."

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

From the article ....

"If you are considering a home burial for a loved one, it is good to know that most states make it perfectly legal to take a body home from the hospital, nursing home, or other institution and bury it on your private property. Only Indiana, California and Washington State outlaw the practice totally."
Very informative. Thanks for posting that link. 🙏👍

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My father in law was cremated and planted with a tree on his property.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Very informative. Thanks for posting that link. 🙏👍
This paragraph addresses your first question.

"A home burial site is considered a cemetery, even if only one person is buried there. Certain perpetuity clauses and restrictions go along with that designation, ensuring that future residents know of the cemetery's location and existence. The deed to the property should also have wording concerning the existence of your cemetery. Disturbing a home burial ground is illegal."

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You can do it in NC unless you live in an incorporated town that prohibits it. There’s a little bit of a process, but it isn’t very difficult. You have to have it recorded as sort of an addendum to the deed. Depending on how much land you have and where you put the grave, it can devalue your property as moving a grave isn’t exactly a cheap project. And some of those family cemetery type situations out in the country do still have new burials. That and, over the past 20 years, I’ve known a handful of people that have been buried basically in their own front yard.

Regardless whether it’s a traditional burial or cremation you’d have to involve a funeral service for processing prior to final disposition. If you want something a bit unusual, such as burial on your own property, it would likely be advisable to get that set up by pre-planning with a local funeral home. They may also be able to answer your questions about what your options are. If not, these folks may be able to help with the details of applicable laws and processes in PA: https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/FuneralDirectors/Pages/default.aspx

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I would recommend agin it. My uncle inherited the family homeplace, which my grandfather bought in 1919. I remember a broken headstone on a hill in the pasture behind the barn. I don't remember the name on it (not a relative), or even if it was legible. Recently, that uncle's DIL sold the property and the buyer has 'cleaned it up' so I'm sure that grave was disturbed.

First of all, yes I think it would devalue the land. How would you feel as a buyer, if the situation were reversed? Then, how long would descendents visit or care for it, realistically? If I was being cremated, I'd have my ashes spread and, maybe, a marker at a columbarium.

One of my former neighbors inherited the family farm. They lived on it for several years, but sold it and moved to be nearer children and grandchildren. There is a small family cemetery with a fence and trees around it. The area is being developed, so that will either be an eyesore to the newcomers, a memorial to the family, or possibly at some future time, relocated.

People today just don't seem to have the connection to their roots that earlier generations did. I personally enjoy, on rare occasion, visiting the cemeteries where my ancestors and family friends are buried.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Henro, what makes you thing anyone will want to come and see your tombstone? Serious question!

If you want a tombstone you can order one with an opening in the top designed to put ashes in at any time and sealed. You can order the stone any design, cost you choose, have whatever you choose on the face, have the stone set where ever you want, have a garden around it if you desire and leave instruction in you will/trust what your desires are. Then you know it's done the way you want.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do NOT fall for the belief that a “Funeral Home” or business will properly guide you.

They are in the business of making Money off your Death….and are NOT reliable sources.

Read the Law in your jurisdiction.

In most cases it is quite legal to be buried on private land. The problem might be that custodial-care of the grave might be misinterpreted and misunderstood, especially if the grave be unrecorded with local authorities and deeds.

However, do not be dissuaded if that is your desire…. simply contact your state/local authorities for jurisdiction.

I plan to be buried, naturally UN-enbalmed, beneath the peach trees in my garden and the site be restricted in the deed for development…. which solves the isssue in my Texas country. In a couple hundred years it will return to a wilderness area…and no one will care.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Henro, what makes you thing anyone will want to come and see your tombstone? Serious question!

If you want a tombstone you can order one with an opening in the top designed to put ashes in at any time and sealed. You can order the stone any design, cost you choose, have whatever you choose on the face, have the stone set where ever you want, have a garden around it if you desire and leave instruction in you will/trust what your desires are. Then you know it's done the way you want.

True story:

My wife and I were looking for a 'cottage' about 4 years ago.

Well after looking at "sh!t hole after sh!t hole" we had to "up" our budget a little. Anyway, we looked at this one place and the "pole barn" caught my attention.

Well there was this plastic bag on the "side porch" deck. It had something in it. I figured it was an Amazon delivery or something, but it was not my place, so we just walked past it and looked at the interior.

Long story short, we bought the joint.

So now it's officially our place, and the bag is still there on "move in day", so I guess it's my bag now.

Now, I'm hoping its gold bars, or a Wilson Combat 1911, or something equally cool/valuable. (y)

I opened it up, and low and behold, its one of those fillable "head stones" that you are describing, with a "woods scene" on it, so I shake it and its full. (and FWIW it's not stone, its plastic)

Damn......now what? I have no idea what to do, so out of respect, and since there is "woods scene" on it, I placed it in the woods under a small tree.

So about 6 months later I get to talking with a State Trooper at the docks, and for some reason I told him where we lived.

He says: "You bought the Nut House?"

Paul: The "Nut House?"

Trooper: "Yea I've been there 10 or 12 times over the past year or so. Those crazy bastards were always running around naked, blocking the street ,or fighting, or some other crazy shit. We call it "The Nut House".

It turns out, the place was some sort of "old folks home" and I am supposing the guy in the headstone had no other family, so "they" mailed it to his last known address.

Crazy, but true..........

Edit: Just for the record, I would have been plenty happy if it had been Silver bars, or just a Rock Island 1911........Hell, a couple cans of Brake Cleaner would have at least made me smile!!!! :)

Last edited:

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I agree most do not value the past. When my father in law was cremated eacch of the family had the option to get some ashes. I have a small key chain with his ashes that allows me to remember him. Unsure how close you are to your family but it was a nice way handle. If we buried ashes on family farm we would not have felt right visiting since it has been sold since death even though family wanted to keep in family.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Serious answer: I wasn’t thinking that way… Was thinking more that there will be more than one person there…always a chance someone might want to visit someday for whatever reason.

Frankly, I never felt the need to visit a grave and would never expect anyone to visit mine.

When my wife and I would drive by the cemetery where my parents are buried, we‘d wave and say "hi mom/dad" as we passed by. We keep them alive in our memories.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Henro, when my wife passed, her wish was cremation, and the ashes put in her flower bed, and that is where she is. No problems, no questions ,nada, and her flowers have never looked as good.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Speaking of tombstones….…. (please remember this is about tombstones…not politics…don‘t want to get in-trouble)….so insert the political party of your choice in the “Blank”….)

I’m disappointed that I didn’t think of it first…. and because I voted for (blank political-party) in 1980…. cannot truthfully have it anyway…..

…but in the Texas State Cemetery.. there is the grave of Bill Kugle…his headstone simply reads,

“He never voted for (Blank political party) and had little to do with them.”

🤣 😂😅

Of deceased former governors…. Miriam “Ma” Ferguson’s remains lie beside the governor who preceded her, her disgraced husband, James “Pa” Ferguson. I was disappointed to discover that Ma’s headstone made no mention of her most famous quote, apocryphal or not: “If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it ought to be good enough for the children of Texas.

Last edited: