correction- M9540 Kubota will not go forward

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
More information would be helpful. Are you making a statement, or asking for help? Do you have more details?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've had a few PMs back and forth with the OP. Gear trans shuttle shift, wet clutch. Everything seems fine, except it will no go forward, but will go in reverse.

I'm at a loss. Any mechanics out there want to try and tackle this?

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Broken shift fork or perhaps disconnected linkage that connects to the transmission? Just a guess...

Does the shift lever move really easily forward like it's disconnected?

Something to think about...

johnsered

Equipment
l3130
Jul 25, 2012
usa
well have you tried adjusting cables? and if so are you adjusting correctly? as there are 2 differant adjustments,and have you tested clutch pressures in forward and reverse?

also have you ever had a problem with the shuttle shift in winter,the original cables were
known to freeze and cause cable to stretch,an updated cable is available?

Last edited:

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
well have you tried adjusting cables? and if so are you adjusting correctly? as there are 2 differant adjustments,and have you tested clutch pressures in forward and reverse?
Clutch pressure will tell you a lot.

E/S

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Hyjacking his thread...
I bought an 07 M9540 with around 2000 hours last year about this time...
I didn't pay very much as it was at a green dealership and they wanted it GONE. It needed new front tires and a little TLC...
It worked fine last summer, but it was making a hydraulic whining at idle/lower RPMs, mainly when warmed up. As soon as you raise the RPMs the noise goes away...

I read that it could be a hydraulic bypass, but I've never really looked into it...

Then the reverser started acting up in the fall, as though forward wouldn't fully engage... It sat most of the winter, and now it REALLY doesn't want to engage in forward.. reverse seems fine...

I have poked around on the internet, and mostly found that it could be something with the reverser linkage, or stuck hydraulic bypass etc..

Where do I start?
It has the hydraulic shuttle HD12 transmission, 4WD and 1353 loader.
Thanks
Jonathan

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
hijacked and rescuscitated :)

I've had that issue with reverse when the shuttle lever ended up a little out of center in relation to the cable. Now this was two revs of the nut on the adjustment and then forward/reverse worked fine, try that first, loosen the adjustment to give it a little more sway toward forward.

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Dumb question, when people talk about the hydraulic bypass are they talking about the one in the oil cooler line? You know, the one that looks relatively easy to replace and probably not horribly expensive? lol
Thanks
Jonathan

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
TTT. I meant to say, "when people talk about the hydraulic whining that goes away when you give it some throttle, They say it is a hydraulic bypass/relief valve." The only one I could find on the front of the tractor is in the hydraulic cooler line, and is $148 from Messicks...

Does that sound right?
Thanks
Jonathan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Jonathan,
Before you replace any parts do a filter and fluid change UDT or SUDT2 are the two main types to use, I would think you would do better to use SUDT2.

Thick fluid and or a clogged filter can give you a whine and poor performance of hydraulic parts and controls!

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
This may sound funny, but when I first bought it, after using it for a few days and discovering the whining (that wasn't whining on the 15 minute test drive) I changed the filters... But rather than actually reading the manual (SMH) I just put a catch pan under the filters, spun one off, and new one on, and then the same for the second.. I only lost a few gallons of oil, but I then replaced it with SUDT2.. That stuff is expensive! :)
The oil in it looks clean... I have been debating doing a whole hydraulic fluid change. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and change it all... It takes just shy of 16 gallons, plus filters... So by the time it's all said and done we are looking at around $400 for a change... The bypass is only $150.. lol
Odds are I'll just do both at the same time..
Thanks
Jonathan

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Of course if I didn't change the fluid myself, there is every chance it CAME with the wrong fluid to begin with...
I'll just change all of it and, and the bypass and see where that gets me... :)
Thanks
Jonathan

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
UPDATE:
Changed fluid to SUDT2 and new filters of course.. Also changed front axle fluid also SUDT2, center section and knuckles..

All fluid had a metallic sheen, no big chunks though..Is this common?

After fluid change all hydraulics were smoother and nicer overall.. But the whining noise from bypass in cooler line is still present when HOT.. overall it is way less frequent, but still happens.

What does this mean? Is it just a faulty bypass? Why would it whine at LOW RPM and not high? Does it imply the cooler is partially plugged or something?
I plan on replacing it as it's only a $150 part, I just want to make sure it isn't a sign of something worse...

Also I adjusted the reverser and it engages much better... All I did (while I had the rear wheels off to widen them out) was loosen the bolts holding the fuel tank on and drop it down about an inch. I just reached in and adjusted it about 3/4 turn.. Piece of cake... :) (the adjuster is between the floor plate, fuel tank, and transmission, hard to get to without removing the tank or floor plate, but do-able if you are patient...)

Thanks
Jonathan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have narrowed the wine down to the bypass I would replace it, just a small machining difference or surface difference can cause them to whine, it's the fluid passing a valve or port that causes it. I wouldn't think you have any other problem to worry about.

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks Wolfman. I'll get one ordered and see what that does...

I freaking LOVE both of my Kubotas...
They are incredibly comfortable and relatively quiet.
Jonathan

SSweet9C1

Equipment
M9540 MX5100
Apr 15, 2014
Upstate NY
Fast forward a couple years...

Reverser is still working great.. Replaced the cooler relief valve... Only to find the cooler was almost completely plugged.. Blew it out with air, flushed it out really well in both directions.. Changed fluids and filters again... Now it whines a bit a HIGH RPM's lol Almost like the cooler doesn't have enough flow for the tractor...
But in the mean time NOW I'm getting tons of filings in the hydro oil and it keeps plugging the filters.. I've talked to Messick's for hours and hours... and they think it is either time for a brake job (if I'm lucky) or I have a bad bearing somewhere in the transmission...

Right now the tractor is parked until I have a few days to tear it all down and do the rear brakes... Looking at the parts breakdown on the Messick's site it looks pretty involved.. Anyone have any pointers? Is it something I shouldn't tackle myself?

We have a pretty decent shop and are pretty good at fixing stuff...
Thanks
Jonathan