Coolant Type, Dex-Cool OK?

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
I have a newer MX4700 and have a quick question about the coolant type. Is there a problem using the orange (OAT) Dex-Cool type coolant in this tractor? I would flush out the factory green before refilling with the Dex-Cool. I have multiple vehicles that use the Dex-Cool and am just trying to keep the amount of fluids I keep on hand to the minimum.
Apparently you are not supposed to use this coolant in some Cummins diesels because of incompatibility with the seals.

Thanks
Wxman

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A friend of mine just put that type coolant in his Kubota and I have heard of no problems with it so far.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I don't know about Dex-Cool in a Kubota - but GM has had it's share of problems with Dex Cool in their vehicles. It causes leaks in many models with aluminum heads.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Having worked in the auto repair business for 30+ years I wouldn't put Dex-Cool in anything. It's touted as an extended life coolant . . . it is not!!! The stuff gets sludgy after only 3 years, but is supposed to last 5?? We flushed a lot of it out and replaced it with Prestone all makes all models extended life coolant. That stuff seems to live up to its claims. It also is compatible with either the regular green coolant, as well as with the Dexcool. Dexcool is not compatible with the green coolant. It's(prestone) been in my L3010 for the last year and a half with no problems.

Bob

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm with you Marty394. I have had good luck using Prestone in my Kubotas and the rest of my stuff as well. I change my coolant out every two years and have had no problems so far. At my old job I would put 6000 hrs on the coolant by adding the extender at the 3000 hr point but I was putting about 3000 hrs on my loader each year. Cat recommends changing the coolant out every two years even with the extender.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I have Dex-Cool in my L3410, it seems to run a little cooler with it than what i dumped out. In fact everything I have put it in seems to run a little cooler.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
I'm with Marty. I have seen of a lot of people with GM cars and trucks that have had heater cores and thermostats clogged up because of the orange coolant. I wouldnt run it in a pushmower (if it used it). Kubota says use green and change it every 2 years.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
That's pretty funny, Kubota says change every two years and you guys are worried about it gumming something up at 3 years? By the way, my GMC 3500 has had nothing but Dex-Cool in it and the radiator is clean as a whistle, it's 13 years old now and has only had the coolant changed 3 times.:D

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
I guess you dont use the heat a whole lot in Georgia. Yeah if you are changing the coolant every 2 years, you could use dex cool but whats the point if you are gonna change it every 2 years? Dexcool can clog in less than 5 years, which is its maintenance interval, and plug smaller coolant passages, which Kubota engines are full of, this is no large cube engine.

jonyyuma

Equipment
2003 L3000dt{sept.-10}, loader, tiller
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
I just changed mine to Peak. I used prestone in my 6.2 truck and had to have the radiator rodded out to repair it.