Converting a PTO driven backhoe to remote driven.

seant

Equipment
b6200hst
Apr 18, 2016
Morgan Hill, CA
Hey All,

I just got a brand new L2501 with rear remotes that I'm super excited about. Yay me.

As an upgrade from the b6200 it's night and day.

I have a 3pt PTO driven backhoe that I'd like to use with the new tractor. Does anyone think there'd be any problem plumbing one of the rear remotes with detent to the backhoe, removing the PTO pump and tank from the loop?

Thanks!
Sean

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I would be more concerned with the 3 point mount wrecking the differential housing. I don't see any reason that you couldn't plumb around the pump and reservoir. I don't think I'd bother with it as long as it was working

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey All,

I just got a brand new L2501 with rear remotes that I'm super excited about. Yay me.

As an upgrade from the b6200 it's night and day.

I have a 3pt PTO driven backhoe that I'd like to use with the new tractor. Does anyone think there'd be any problem plumbing one of the rear remotes with detent to the backhoe, removing the PTO pump and tank from the loop?

Thanks!
Sean
Do you have the three point reinforcement kit?
I don't even know if they make one for the l2501???
If not don't even attempt it as you WILL break something!

Now as far as converting it, again I wouldn't do it, the pump on the tractor is only about 1/4 as much flow as the PTO pump, so it will be a slow as a snail!

seant

Equipment
b6200hst
Apr 18, 2016
Morgan Hill, CA

Now as far as converting it, again I wouldn't do it, the pump on the tractor is only about 1/4 as much flow as the PTO pump, so it will be a slow as a snail!
I purchased the backhoe subframe (for the bh77) along with the tractor and plan on fabricating an adapter for the (now) 3pt backhoe.

And yeah, in general the 3pt hoe was just barely usable and probably not good for the old tractor.

I just don't want to deal with the pto pump as it's kinda clunky.

Regarding it being slow: The kubota spec'd hoe runs off the on tractor system so it should be fast enough for a different one I'd think, no?
Sean

Last edited:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I’m running a Woods 7500 in a remote with Detent on a L3301. It’s fast enough for me. I usually run engine rpm around 1500 when using it.

The remote valve should be sized for the pump gpm. I think ours have 8 gallons per minute rating.

If you want a test run, with a two hose system.
Take the two hoses going to the backhoe off the PTO pump.
And connect them to your loader valve disconnects for your lift circuit. May have to extend them for the reach.
Bungee or hold the loader valve open while trying the backhoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont

!
Does anyone know if THERE is a reinforcement kit for the L series?

I snapped this photo of a toplink mount on a bh77 on a 3301 at the dealer and it looks identical to mine.

This isn’t conclusive though as it uses the 4 point connection on subframe and not even using the three point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Do yourself a favor...and do not use a 3 pt backhoe...you WILL wreck something. The 3 pt is just not beefy enough to handle the torque and pounding that the BH will generate.

Get a subframe...you will not regret it...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do yourself a favor...and do not use a 3 pt backhoe...you WILL wreck something. The 3 pt is just not beefy enough to handle the torque and pounding that the BH will generate.

Get a subframe...you will not regret it...
You missed it, he already said he's putting it on a subframe. ;)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
How does a 3 point backhoe fit to a sub-frame? Do the sub-frame mounts mimic the 3 point mount? I'm curious as to how this would work. And if he converts the 3 point to the sub-frame mount, COULD he still use the PTO pump or would the sub-frame make that impossible to use? I imagine it would be a bit cheaper to use a 3 point backhoe, mount it to a sub-frame and use the PTO than to make the conversion to tractor hydraulics if not already present?
Has anyone done this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How does a 3 point backhoe fit to a sub-frame? Do the sub-frame mounts mimic the 3 point mount? I'm curious as to how this would work. And if he converts the 3 point to the sub-frame mount, COULD he still use the PTO pump or would the sub-frame make that impossible to use? I imagine it would be a bit cheaper to use a 3 point backhoe, mount it to a sub-frame and use the PTO than to make the conversion to tractor hydraulics if not already present?
Has anyone done this?
You would have to alter/convert the mounts on the BH to fit the Subframe, most are 4 point mounts and are much larger than the three point mount, hence the partial reason why it's a better mounting system.

No they do not mimic the three point style of mount.

Yes he could still use the PTO pump with a subframe mount if it's designed right.

It would cost him about the same maybe a little more to convert it over to the Tractor run instead of PTO pump run.
It would all depends on the PTO pump size, feed and return line size, clearances, if the original pump system is open or closed system, and also the Tractors output capability and capacity.

seant

Equipment
b6200hst
Apr 18, 2016
Morgan Hill, CA
I’ve temporarily given up on the retrofit to tractor hydraulics.
Adapter about 70% done. Still need to add the top pin brackets, reinforcements and the grind and paint.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT use the top link connection!!
That is the week point that you will break, you want to use the top holes of the BH adapter plate, that's why they are there. ;)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I need to fab up something like that for me setup. I'm waiting for my ROPS to come in to see how that will change things, first.