compression testing

ttfo

Oct 3, 2012
Custer, SD
I just purchased a b7100 HST. It is blowing a lot of smoke. I am going to do a compression test. Has anyone done a compreesion test on a B7100? If so what are the steps. I have a compression tester, Do I go through the glow plugs ( seems like I have to remove a lot of parts to get to them) or through the injectors?

Thanks

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I just purchased a b7100 HST. It is blowing a lot of smoke. I am going to do a compression test. Has anyone done a compreesion test on a B7100? If so what are the steps. I have a compression tester, Do I go through the glow plugs ( seems like I have to remove a lot of parts to get to them) or through the injectors?

Thanks
What threads do you have available in your tester kit and does the clock scale go up to at least 600psi
I have just done a test on my B7100 and re-nozzeled the injectors.
I screwed my tester into the head after removing injectors.
first test each cylinder dry then test again after squrting a few cc's of oil in.
Make sure to clean the head off before undoing the injectors so no dirt drops in the cyls,
i like to do a leakdown test as well as a compression test.
dave

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
On my diesel pickup I made a glow plug adapter out of an old glow plug. Just pulled the guts out of the plug and welded the body onto a new grease gun hose. Cost of a new grease whip was about $5.

I'd rather pull glow plugs than mess with fuel lines.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
You state it is blowing a lot of smoke, Where is the smoke coming from, are you talking exhaust smoke or engine breather tube smoke vapors?

I would ask you this first, how much blow by does it have coming out of the engine crankcase breather tube? It would be easier and faster to check the blowby with a manometer if you have a service manual it should give specs on this. If it has low compression it will definately have a visible amount of vapors and or oil dripping out of the breather tube or even out the oil fill hole in the valve cover.

Tip #1 always check the obvious simple things first before going to more difficult processes to find the same result.;)

ttfo

Oct 3, 2012
Custer, SD
B7100,
Thanks for the reply. The kit is design for diesel and came with a variety of adapters. Sounds like I can remove the injectors and use that hole for the test.
Thanks

ttfo

Oct 3, 2012
Custer, SD
Wild and Free,
There IS oil dripping out of the breather tube. None out of the filler. I do not have a manometer. maybe I should invest in one.

Thanks for the help...

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Compression test using the glow plug holes. You don't need to replace the copper injector seals that way. That's the way the kit from Kubota does it.

Steve

ttfo

Oct 3, 2012
Custer, SD
Thanks for the help... The bad news is that I did a compression test and found Cyl 1 = 250, Cyl 2 = 100,Cyl 3 = 300. I did a wet test on Cyl 2 & 3. Cyl 2 = 350, Cyl 3 = 400. If I read this correctly the rings need to be replace at least... Is there a Rebuild kit I can get that will include ALL parts I need to rebuild?

Thanks