Clearing land for a garden and orchard

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Ive recently started opening up land for a garden. I used a 5' bush hog. It did a pretty decent job with the 3-4' high weeds and saplings.

(Dog had to get into the pic. Thanks buddy)

My question is, should I take the landscaper rake to all that dried debris first, then plow or plow first then run the landscaper rake over it? (Yes I cleaned the dog poo up)

I just picked up a 14" (pretty sure its a 14, haven't measured it) single bottom plow that should do a pretty good job of turning the soil over. Still working on cleaning it up. Needs a bit of paint.

I haven't cleared any land for the orchard yet. Suggestions on land prep?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Dog did one heck of a photo "bomb" :p:p:p

Using the plow on the ground and getting it smooth after may prove to be a challange. I'm curious to see how it works out for you

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I would and have plowed the debris under without clearing first. Its just going to break down into the soil anyway, I would think.

Do you have a disk or tiller to break it up after you turn it over with the plow? I'm not sure a landscape rake will do the trick. Although, I've made due with what I had at the time plenty in the past.

Good luck.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Is that a Vizsla making a Rake Handle?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Since you mention saplings, I think I'd rake the debris into a pile first and burn it. Then plow or rototill. Little trees will take too long to break down and may wrap around the plow in an annoying way. It looks from the photo that the brush hag didn't turn everything intp wood chips.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
just plow it,
anytime something large shows up. have your safety observer toss it out of the garden plot. follow up in a day or two with your tiller. set at a medium depth. follow up in a couple weeks, till again to make sure any weeds sprouting get messed up. make your rows and plant your garden.
be sure to have your safety observer handy to toss any objects that make noise while tilling (rocks) or any chunks of wood...

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Dog did one heck of a photo "bomb" :p:p:p

Using the plow on the ground and getting it smooth after may prove to be a challange. I'm curious to see how it works out for you

Quite the bomb.

Smoothing it out was what I was thinking id use the landscaper rake for. See how it goes.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I would and have plowed the debris under without clearing first. Its just going to break down into the soil anyway, I would think.

Do you have a disk or tiller to break it up after you turn it over with the plow? I'm not sure a landscape rake will do the trick. Although, I've made due with what I had at the time plenty in the past.

Good luck.

I dont have a disk or tiller. Just the bushhog, plow and rake.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Since you mention saplings, I think I'd rake the debris into a pile first and burn it. Then plow or rototill. Little trees will take too long to break down and may wrap around the plow in an annoying way. It looks from the photo that the brush hag didn't turn everything intp wood chips.

Thought about that, but theres some poison ivy in it. No desire to burn that.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
We always plowed it then disked it. Plowing is gonna make it really rough. I know nothing about rakes, etc....but the disk will do the job and it will have to be disked quite a few times after plowing.
I would leave all that stuff in there to plow under.

I use my disk only to plant my garden...get the ground nice and soft and run the disk thru it and use the groove on one side for the first row...fertilizer and stuff in it, cover and plant...move over for the next row for the width you want between rows.....real easy...I like the easy way. I grow lots of veggies here, melons, etc....and weed it with glyphosate. Works like a charm.
Good luck....Pete

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thought about that, but theres some poison ivy in it. No desire to burn that.
Ah yes. Good old poison ivy. I think I'd rethink all of that...maybe use landscape rake to pull all the loose stuff off into a pile, off to one side and then look for anything in your garden patch area that looks like poison ivy is sprouting back and spot spray those sprigs with something really strong.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I used a middlebuster first followed by landscpape rake to gather up all the roots the middlebuster exposed. The landscape rake made nice littl burn piles that I later accumulated into a single large pile dried well enough to burn independently and the rake to knock the tops of the rows down before rototilling. Later, in the interest of time a just rototilled a different area without using the middlebuster first.

Think I will use the middlebuster first when the end result matters. The rototiller is so effective it is tempting to skip the plow.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
So should I be looking for a disc harrow or rototiller now then?
Probably so, plow and disk will work fine but a rototiller would be your best choice if you can afford one.
I've plowed, then tilled before and it's a little rough going at first but ends up really nice. Most of the time now I just till.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
First thing I would do is subsoil. This would pull up any roots and rocks that my be in the way of other implements as well as starting to loosen the soil. If it's hard dirt then follow with a chisel plow then disk or tiller. The chisel plow will pull off the majority of the debris while loosening the soil for the disk, although it may require one pass to clear debris and another to loosen the soil. If it's soft dirt then you can pull the debris with the rake then disk or till. I wouldn't bother with the plow, it just seems to bring up more weed seed.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
My list of "required implements" seems to grow by the day.

Keep the ideas coming.

No one has mentioned anything for the orchard. So far, I'm thinking a posthole digger / auger to make planting trees easier.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
No clean up of rust on plow needed. Just start plowing and the soil will do the job. When done, maybe coat it with grease for over the winter.