Choosing an 'L' Series

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Let's see how confusing I can make this..........

We have a John Deere 2440, made in 1979 with 4,300 hours. It's a 2wd, 61hp utility tractor with a factory loader, rear wheel weights and calcium in the rear tires. Primary use is mowing pastures on fairly steep ground, plowing snow with a rear blade and moving 1,200 pound 4X8 bales of alfalfa hay. This is done on level, smooth ground and not stacked more than two high using a grapple.

We are considering a replacement tractor. Must be 4wd and HAVE A CAB. Getting older and soft as time goes by. I would like to keep this package as small and light as is safe and functional. The mowing and plowing is easy to figure out. Moving big bales is a tougher question, and one that my dealer can't answer without definite over-kill. I accept the fact that the grapple will be retired and replaced with bale spears to keep the weight as close to the tractor as it can be. I also understand that ballasting will be critical. We move these bales slowly and with great care. That won't change.

So, I see the Grand L's as being worthy of serious consideration but not sure how far up in the line we need to go. Compaction and turning radius has been a draw back with our current unit, thus my desire to be 'safely' small. The big bales are non-negotiable. Meaning, that is what we will continue to feed so we need to be able to handle them.

Curious to hear what the OTT Brain Trust suggests in this matter.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think you have done your homework well and you know what you need!
And those that have a grand L will chime in and tell you it is the cats azz too.

Like this quote too "Getting older and soft as time goes by" aint that the truth!!!!

If this is the last tractor you are planning to buy - and it could be, get the one that is the most comfortable to you and gets the job done the best!

The Grand L6060 will match up nicely with what you had, and I think will be a little more nimble than the JD too. Looking at the spec's - you might get it close to 50K depending on what you choose on the machine.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Thanks for the reply, 85Hokie!

Wondering if I can get away with something less than the 60hp model. Maybe closer to 50?

Rented a Farmall 40C for one round of mowing this Summer. I had the heater on first thing, then A/C in the afternoon. VERY easy to get used to!!!

Done right, this would be my last tractor purchase in this size range.

This darn orange paint is starting to take over the home place. JD 425 became a BX1870, JD Gator XUV became an RTV1100 and now the green utility tractor is in question.

I used to work for a green dealership. Now it's a red one. Too bad the orange dealership is too far away to commute! :D

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Well, you can go down to the L4760 and still get the same loader that the L6060 has. So properly ballasted you should be able to lift the same amount. So that gives you 4 different models to choose from with the loader capacity being your number one concern.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
You do realize you are going from ag/utility to a large compact? In order to be apples to apples you would have to be looking at the M6060. I do realize you want to be nimble. I would try to at least sit in both for comparison.

Pat

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
You do realize you are going from ag/utility to a large compact? In order to be apples to apples you would have to be looking at the M6060. I do realize you want to be nimble. I would try to at least sit in both for comparison.

Pat

Yep, understood. I don't want a new apple. I want a tangerine with a cab, if it can be rigged to move a 1,200 pound square bale safely. The loader spec's out okay on the three larger L's. Just concerned about weight transfer as in 'back-end on the ground and no damage to front axle'.

I figure the shorter wheel base works against me but the added weight of the cab should be a plus. Dealer seems to think a L6060 would do it but, has not tried it. Hoping someone here has done it and can say no-sweat, not bad or, scary as heck! If the dealer had a compatible spear and a ballasted L, I would be willing to drive an hour each way with a bale of hay to try.

Less than ideal hay handling is done with a JD 4440 but it's just not practical with the way things are set up around the house. This other idea may not work out, either. I would simply like to find out for sure.

Appreciate all the input. Please continue to share any thoughts that come to mind.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you're keeping your 4440 you could use that for mowing and get a skidsteer for everything else.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am a big fan of the 60 series tractors if my little Grand L is any sample. I think you would love it, especially with a cab.

Here is one old thread in which there is some discussion of carrying big round bales versus tractor size. I think the consensus was an L6060 would work with some common sense. M might be better, but a big Grand L could if properly ballasted, loaded tires, and maybe wheel spacers. With luck someone will log in that uses theirs for big bales, and will comment.
The Lxx40 tractors are older versions of the Grand Ls so their experiences would apply.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18070&highlight=Bale+spear

You can search and find others.

mjhenry04

Equipment
Kubota L3901, SGC0660 Grapple, RCR1860 Cutter, PD25 Digger, RTR1258 Tiller
Aug 10, 2017
Cat Spring, TX
M6060 with a cab is about $3k less than the L6060, and is a heavier machine anyway. I get that you'll lose the HST but I would prefer to stick to the hydraulic shuttle when moving that kind of weight anyway. Too easy to royally mess something up accidentally getting your boot hung up on the HST pedal (it's happened).