China/Ebay

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
A couple weeksago so ago I placed a ebay order for a shifting part for my polaris ranger that was coming from china..yes I cheaped out. But anyway I got a notice from the seller saying my part was shipped to someone else. So did I want them to resend it or refund my money. I said to refund it. It sounded screwey to me so I'll just order a oem part and pay big for it.
So a day after that I get a email that was titled Note to self.
I read it and it said it was unfortunate to be me. As my computer system was going to be taken over UNLESS I forward crypto money to this person.
In the past when I block a email at the RHtop I click on report sender
Then at the bottom it would pop up Block Sender.
So when I did this with this email my computer pops up a message saying I can't block a email from myself. ?..cyber experts here place chim in.
SO today in the mail I get a small package from a company that I've never heard of that contains a odd part that I have no idea what it is. I'll attach a couple photos.
But all this happen after being on eBay.

Attachments

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
It doesn't have anything to do with ebay.

Hopefully the email didn't have any links that you clicked.

Enjoy your free part....whatever it is.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If you paid by credit card get in touch with whatever the provider and get them to check for any unauthorized charges and it sure wouldn't hurt to ask them to send you out a new one. You may even have to reformat your computer.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
A couple weeksago so ago I placed a ebay order for a shifting part for my polaris ranger that was coming from china..yes I cheaped out. But anyway I got a notice from the seller saying my part was shipped to someone else. So did I want them to resend it or refund my money. I said to refund it. It sounded screwey to me so I'll just order a oem part and pay big for it.
I read it and it said it was unfortunate to be me. As my computer system was going to be taken over UNLESS I forward crypto money to this person.
So when I did this with this email my computer pops up a message saying I can't block a email from myself. ?..cyber experts here place chim in.
SO today in the mail I get a small package from a company that I've never heard of that contains a odd part that I have no idea what it is. I'll attach a couple photos.
If memory serves me right there is a type of scam when people are mailed cheap , random items that they did not order.

getting-unordered-seeds-and-stuff-mail

"You might have read about the “brushing” scam. In this one, somebody sends you stuff, unordered, because it lets them give themselves a great review in your name. Annoying, but whatever, right? Nope. More than annoying. It could mean that the scammers have created an account in your name, or taken over your account, on online retail sites. Or even created new accounts (maybe lots of them) in other names tied to your address. Letting them post lots of seemingly-real reviews. So keep an eye on your online shopping accounts. If you spot activity that isn’t yours, report it to the site right away, and think about changing your password for that site."

Considering the timing of you placing a EBAY order and the arrival of the mystery package I would not rule out that the two are somehow connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do a ton of eBay and the CS(@) orangeconnex (dot) com is a warehouse / shipping service that a lot of over seas eBay and Amazon sellers use.
It's perfectly safe and valid company, and more than likely the shipper just sent you someone else's order, it happens every now and then.

I would not hesitate to have the seller reship what i originally ordered.
It's really not their direct fault that the wrong part got shipped.
And they did offer to make it right.

And enjoy you free wiring connector.

The note to self email is a completely separate scam, and no connection to eBay.
Look this up: email note to self scam

The reason you can't block it was the sender spoofed your email as their own for the sender, but if you were to dig into it you would find they have CC'ed or BCC'ed themseflf into the Email, and they embed spam / scam / malware / virus / randsomware code in the email.
This fools the anti spam / virus / junk software that makes it where you don't normally see their emails.
Do not do anything with it, especially open it, but it sounds like you already have.
So if you use Gmail CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!
It could be a common scam email to allow them to steal your account.
Scan your computer for all virus's

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Too many conspiracy theorists on these forums. Sellers in China don't do well with the English language and make many mistakes. Since the products are so inexpensive, it doesn't matter. As for the email from yourself, I would download Malwarebytes and run a scan to see if your computer is infected with a PUP or Possibly an Unwanted Program I found over 50 of them on my computer last week, and I still have no idea of how they got there. Malwarebytes will remove them and you can get a 14-day free trial without giving them your credit card. If you don't buy it right away they will keep upping the discount to convince you that it is worthwhile. I purchased it at 50% off for multiple computers.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Too many conspiracy theorists on these forums.
First time I have been called a conspiracy theorist, I will wear it as a badge of honor! ;)

WFM,
North Idaho Wolfman may well be correct that nothing nefarious is going on with your electrical connector being sent to you , and of course your going to do what you want, but at the very least I would be changing all my passwords.

Reactions: 1 user