Checking Hydrulic Fluid

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi guys,

I'm a new tractor owner and am still learning. I have a B2601 and I've tried to check the hydrolic fluid at the rear of the tractor and in the front axle. But, I can't see it. It's like trying to see water against a yellow background.

Do you guys have any tricks you can share that will make the hydrolic fluid more visible against those yellow dipsticks?

Do they make colored hydrolic fluid?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thank you,
-Michael

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Re: Checking Hydrolic Fluid

On any type of dipstick, I use the feel from running my finger from the top down till I feel moisture! Of course wipe the complete dipstick down before re-inserting.

I would not suggest coating the tip with anything being that it could flake off.

Pat

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

Angle the dipstick and look for the difference in light reflection. Or touch the stick with a piece of coated white cardboard (paper is too porous and the oil will wick, giving a false reading).

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Angle the dipstick and look for the difference in light reflection. Or touch the stick with a piece of coated white cardboard (paper is too porous and the oil will wick, giving a false reading).
Times two on this advice :D:D I

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Yup! Cheaters but............I found that a small powerful flashlight like the ones I use to look down the bore of a rifle, can show you the level.
Place the flashlight on an object the height of your hip or higher. (saw-horses, portable workbench), turn the flashlight on and lay it down on it. Next pull the dipstick and take the stick right over to the flashlight. A small powerful beam will easily show the level on the stick without saturating everything around it.
It's easier to check them in the winter when they are a tad more viscous. I use this method in the summer when I have a hard time seeing the wet from the dry.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sorry if this is a silly question.
The only silly question is the one you don't ask.

At some point in time all of us were tractor newbies.

Hyd fluid is hard to see on any dipstick. Biggest thing is have the tractor sitting as level as you can get it then find the right angle and light source to see fluid on the stick.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
It definitely is hard to see, may take me a few times to get a good reading. Is this normal? You read it just in the good zone when cold but when you check after running the level is higher on the stick?