Checking Air pressure in a filled tire. How?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
The rear tires on my BX2370 are filled with water from Dealer (I'm in FL so no chance of freezing).

When I am checking the tire's air pressure, with valve stem at 12 o'clock, I am getting water out of the valve stem as I check the air pressure.

Is this normal? I assume that since there is air in the tire, the air wants to push out everything in the tire (the water).

So do I just add air and ignore the wet mess spraying out while adding air and checking the pressure - or am I doing it wrong?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
If your valve stem is at the highest (12 O'Clock) point, then it is fine.:)
Helpful hint. I have a yellow crayon, I mark the edge of the tires aligned with the valve when checking tires. That way when sitting on the seat, I can move the tractor until one is vertical/visible, hop off, do the tire, roll forward and do the next that is visible.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
with valve at 12 o'clock, I put my compressor hose on it and blow the water in, then check pressure and set it. the beet juice in mine is a little messy, so id like to keep it out of my pressure gauge.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
with valve at 12 o'clock, I put my compressor hose on it and blow the water in, then check pressure and set it. the beet juice in mine is a little messy, so id like to keep it out of my pressure gauge.
So, are you saying that if I "blow some air in first", I won't get water out of the valve stem when I check the pressure?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The rear tires on my BX2370 are filled with water from Dealer (I'm in FL so no chance of freezing).

When I am checking the tire's air pressure, with valve stem at 12 o'clock, I am getting water out of the valve stem as I check the air pressure.

Is this normal? I assume that since there is air in the tire, the air wants to push out everything in the tire (the water).

So do I just add air and ignore the wet mess spraying out while adding air and checking the pressure - or am I doing it wrong?
CB,

there should NOT be water coming out at 12 oclock! That is the magic spot - ballast TO that level is desired - NOT above it! SO - whatever comes out is gonna be ok, now be careful - as the air and whatever comes out, the tire will flatten out on the bottom THUS pushing more liquid out the stem!;)

SO the best way to get it jusssst right would be to jack up the tire side and check, that way the weight of the ballast will not push out.

You tire should have 75% fill - no more, and at 12 oclock, depending on tire and rim size - that will be about that.

Someone that took the tire off the tractor and then filled may have place too much in there - the AIR that is left is the only shock absorber you have by the way.;):)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
CB,

there should NOT be water coming out at 12 oclock! That is the magic spot - ballast TO that level is desired - NOT above it! SO - whatever comes out is gonna be ok, now be careful - as the air and whatever comes out, the tire will flatten out on the bottom THUS pushing more liquid out the stem!;)

SO the best way to get it jusssst right would be to jack up the tire side and check, that way the weight of the ballast will not push out.

You tire should have 75% fill - no more, and at 12 oclock, depending on tire and rim size - that will be about that.

Someone that took the tire off the tractor and then filled may have place too much in there - the AIR that is left is the only shock absorber you have by the way.;):)[/QUOTE
That's only if you jack the tractor up will no fluid come out at the proper 75% fill. If the tractor is sitting on the tire fluid will come out even if filled to the correct level

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>SO the best way to get it jusssst right would be to jack up the tire side and check, that way the weight of the ballast will not push out.<<

That's the way I've always done it, for what it's worth.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I didn't jack the wheel off the ground when I was checking air pressure -

so that explains why water is coming out of valve stem at 12 o'clock. The weight of the tractor pushing down tire and the ground pushing back up, is squeezing out the water. Makes sense.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you have some liquid in the tire the valve stem will be full of liquid at 12:00. Not much but a stem full. It will come out when you push in the core or you can blow it out with a shot of air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk