Check your tire pressure!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Had a friend with a big skid steer with a stump bucket remove a 40" red maple stump. This was the right call because it was so big and so deep. But it weighs over two tons because he could not lift it with his unit. So we decided to drag it with my tractor with him pushing it. Well, had the tractor in low and we were making progress until the stump got a little sideways and I ended up rolling the bead of the tire off the rim. Rim Guard gushing out everywhere.
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1916.JPG

It was too far from the shop to get and air hose to so I tried to cinch it up with a load strap at first and then a come along and trying to get it to bead with a portable air tank. Not even close! So pull off all the weights and remove the rim and tire and roll it over to the shop where I could blast it with some decent air pressure and volume. It worked but I got to say, It gave me a pretty good workout!
IMG_1921.JPG

Got the tractor back to the shop and decided to check all the tires. Right rear only had 9psi and the fronts were 20psi and 25psi. Operators manual says 30psi in all four corners. Serves me right for not keeping up with a simple maintenance procedure! Thought I'd pass this lesson along.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Glad you got her all pumped back up !

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Seeing the size of the thing wearing the floppy shoe, I can imagine that was a chore.

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Hate to admit this, but at the beginning of the summer I swapped AG tires and rims over to turf. Last time I mowed I hoped off the tractor to pick up a branch that had come down and notice only two of six lug nuts holding a rear tire on and the remaining two only had a couple threads holding them on. I'll be adding "check tires aren't falling off" to the preflight check list along with check air pressure.

Reactions: 3 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
That stinks...glad you got it fixed.
I never knew until this past summer that there was such a thing as a 'wet tire presser gauge ' to check filled tires.
My rear tires were practically 0.
I'm very fortunate I didn't have a big blow out or splash down.

Reactions: 1 user

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
That's no fun I recently was lifting an old "trailer" axle into my trailer using the fel, as I was pulling up to the trailer I was wondering why the steering (manual) was so strenuous with a fairly light load up front. Got off to look and the R/F tire was completely flat. Thankfully I didn't roll a bead and was close enough to the garage to air it back up with the shop air. Bit I also learned a valuable lesson that day check the tire pressure before you get too far from the garage. I still don't know what caused that tire to be low...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it's a physics thing.....air molecules ( O2, N, AR, etc....) 'escapes' through the rubber tire
the big problem is that with less air pressure, sidewall flex way beyond 'design limits'. do this a few times and cracks form, and more air escapes....see this on riders all the time.
every time it happens here, tire gets a tube..end of 'leaky air' problems

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
That's no fun I recently was lifting an old "trailer" axle into my trailer using the fel, as I was pulling up to the trailer I was wondering why the steering (manual) was so strenuous with a fairly light load up front. Got off to look and the R/F tire was completely flat. Thankfully I didn't roll a bead and was close enough to the garage to air it back up with the shop air. Bit I also learned a valuable lesson that day check the tire pressure before you get too far from the garage. I still don't know what caused that tire to be low...
If you have cordless tools, check and see if they make an inflator. I have Royobi stuff and got this earlier this year when they were having a buy one tool get one tool free sale:

Works good and now I don't have to run a hundred yards of hose to fill all the tires around the yard. Its not real fast but you just hook it up, set the pressure, go do something else for a minute and let it fill. Shuts off automatically.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
If you have cordless tools, check and see if they make an inflator. I have Royobi stuff and got this earlier this year when they were having a buy one tool get one tool free sale:

Works good and now I don't have to run a hundred yards of hose to fill all the tires around the yard. Its not real fast but you just hook it up, set the pressure, go do something else for a minute and let it fill. Shuts off automatically.
Thank you, I have the ridgid one and use it a lot. That situation called for shop air I was in a hurry and even with the weight off the front end the cordless wasn't cutting it. I use the ridgid one for checking and toping off the tires on the car, truck trailer etc. In that particular situation firing up the shop compressor was worth the effort a d faster . It's amazing how long an inflator can take to air up a flat 6-12 r1 ag tire from flat lol

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My tire inflator is a 25-year-old Quincy with an 80-gallon tank. It has never failed me, and it is one of the best purchases that I made in my adult life. Thinking about it, it might even be more than 25 years old. Will have to check the date plate on the tank for the year of manufacture. I also have a Quincy upright 60-gallon tank that I bought for $100 because it fell over when it was delivered and the starter box was destroyed. There was a 3-phase motor on the unit, and I found a new Baldor 5 HP single-phase motor and mounted it, but never got around to finishing the electrical hook-up. It is on my list of things to do before I pass.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
This type of situation is exactly why I keep a nitrogen cylinder in the RV. It's parked at home, so always there when I need it- on the road or on the farmette.
20231013_195113.jpg

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Good post Yooper. A similar thing happened to me when I had my tractor at my wife’s aunt’s house repairing a retaining wall. Low pressure in the right rear tire and all the ballast leaked out as well. PITA to pull the tire, take it home and refill with ballast and get the bead reseated.

Attachments

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Good post Yooper. A similar thing happened to me when I had my tractor at my wife’s aunt’s house repairing a retaining wall. Low pressure in the right rear tire and all the ballast leaked out as well. PITA to pull the tire, take it home and refill with ballast and get the bead reseated.
Hey, you had the Box Blade on, that made it a lot easier than without!!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
A follow up note here. That Rim Guard stuff is like a dark syrup and it stained the concrete where I fixed the tire.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Hmm not sure what difference having the box blade on does?
Probably mistaken about the 3 point hitch having down pressure. Wouldn’t that be nice.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My tire inflator is a 25-year-old Quincy with an 80-gallon tank. It has never failed me, and it is one of the best purchases that I made in my adult life. Thinking about it, it might even be more than 25 years old. Will have to check the date plate on the tank for the year of manufacture. I also have a Quincy upright 60-gallon tank that I bought for $100 because it fell over when it was delivered and the starter box was destroyed. There was a 3-phase motor on the unit, and I found a new Baldor 5 HP single-phase motor and mounted it, but never got around to finishing the electrical hook-up. It is on my list of things to do before I pass.
I have a 33 year old Quincy, 5HP Baldor, two stage, 175 psi, 20cfm, (pressure lubed), 80 gal upright..
Bought it new!
Agreed.....one of my best purchases ever!
I also have a little portable Quincy (1-1/2 HP?) belt drive, on a 20 gal. tank.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Brain fart. The 3PH has no downforce. I was thinking of the landing gear on the backhoe.
The photo may look like the box blade is supporting the axle. I have a jack under the center tow hitch. Hard to see it in the photo.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
The photo may look like the box blade is supporting the axle. I have a jack under the center tow hitch. Hard to see it in the photo.
When you post a photo you should have the choice to post a full size image. Your pics are very small.