Check air pressure in loaded tires

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Does it have to cost $10 each time I check my tire pressure, that's about what I have to pay for a pencil tire pressure gauge that gets gummed up with my unknown loading fluid. The stuff is brown and frothy. With the valve stem at 12 o'clock I blast air in 2 or 3 shots to hopefully clear the fluid from the valve stem itself. But on checking with the tip of my knife on the valve stem, brown frothy fluid just keeps coming out......grrrrr

Loading was done by a Kuboa dealer so I assume it was done right with the right level and all.

So is there no alternative to expending a tire pressure guage a couple of times a year when I check my pressure?

Joe Kelly

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
With liquid filled tires if its low on air theres a whole in the tire somewhere and there would be a wet spot on the ground. I don't believe theres a great deal of air pressure in liquid tires since the bulk of the tire is held up by liquid. For as long as I've been around tractors, growing up around them and having one for 10 years I've never had a low tire without there being a water leak coming from somewhere.

I would think if you really needed to check air pressure make sure the valve stem is up towards the top so so you do get air and not liquid.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I had mine filled by the dealer and he only filled them just below the valve stem (at the 12 o'clock position). If you are low in pressure and the fluid has pushed up past the valve stem because the tire is flatter at the bottom, my only suggestion is to jack the tire up off the ground so the fluid settles back down into the bottom of the tire before trying to air it. Then as Eric said, if this happens often, you may have a hole in the tire.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

John

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Only fix I can think of is to drain some of the fluid. I'm with you though, I don't use my goog guage on my tractor for the same reason.

Eric, fluid filled tires still need the same air pressure. The liquid is just weight.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey Joe where ya going with that air gauge in your hand, Im gona down to check my Bouta tires
,,, sorry Hendricks flash back,,,
Joe one more tip when you check air pressure on a filled tire have the valve at 12 o'clock, that way nothing goes in to your air gauge

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
get one of the gas station air pressure gauges. change the hose with a longer one… with a removable fitting… you will be able to check the air and not plug the gauge. and you will be able to flush, dry the extra length of hose… be sure to make sure you don't let to much air bleed to the gauge without blowing it clear between checking tires...

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Does it have to cost $10 each time I check my tire pressure, that's about what I have to pay for a pencil tire pressure gauge that gets gummed up with my unknown loading fluid. The stuff is brown and frothy. With the valve stem at 12 o'clock I blast air in 2 or 3 shots to hopefully clear the fluid from the valve stem itself. But on checking with the tip of my knife on the valve stem, brown frothy fluid just keeps coming out......grrrrr

Loading was done by a Kuboa dealer so I assume it was done right with the right level and all.

So is there no alternative to expending a tire pressure guage a couple of times a year when I check my pressure?

Joe Kelly
Joe,
locate the special gauge that's sprong loaded that's made for liquid filled tires. Check Tractor Supply or your ag dealer or better yet go to one of the tire dealers in your area and they can fix you up for around $10. You still need to take the weight off the tire by jacking it up then postition the valve at the top ( 12 O'clock ) and give it a shot of air before putting the gauge on the valve stem. Once you're done filling it, take the gauge in the house and using regular dish soap and water put the submerge the valve end in the mixture and pull the gauge part out and let it go a few times ( the spring will pull it back inside ) until you've rinsed it clear. Then rinse it again in a cup of clear water the same way. Put the gauge on a window sill somewhere in the sun and leave it there a couple of days to dry especially in the winter so the water doesn't freeze and ruin the gauge. My gauges have lasted for 10 or 12 years using this trick taught to me by a well seasoned farm tire dealer.
Al

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Thanks, again, fellows for the additional input to dealing with pressure gauges and loaded tires.

And thank you, Tiredguy, for telling us there is a gauge specifically for loaded tires....no one in my parts could come up with that!

So I will look for that gauge and also jack the tractor to get the weight off the tire being checked!

JoeK