Cheap "block heater"

pinstripefan90

Equipment
BX25D, FEL&BH, Piranha tooth bar, Bucket hooks, Pallet forks, Back blade
Sep 8, 2017
New York
So my 2014 BX25D does not have a block heater and even though I have a plow truck I plan on using my Kubota for some snow removal here and there, so I am wondering if any of you guys have used the cheapo Tractor Supply dipstick style block heaters and if you think they help at all or are just junk, thanks.

- Jake

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
dip stick heaters as well as some magnetic oil pan heaters have gained a reputation for "burning" the oil . I will take a heater in the water jacket every time. Heating oil by contact heaters is risky at best. Oil has the wrong characteristics when it comes to heat transfer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a dip stick heater I bought years ago. It's like 75 watt. You just as well buy a cup of coffee, at least it will warm YOU up!

And the oil pan heaters are usually magnetic and require a steel oil pan to attach to.

Do as Toomany suggest, install a heater in the water jacket.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Cold weather starts?

A hot air gun blowing into the air filter intake is a great augment to the starting process.

Far better than ether. In the long run. ;-)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cold weather starts?

A hot air gun blowing into the air filter intake is a great augment to the starting process.

Far better than ether. In the long run. ;-)
Considering you should NEVER use ether on a Kubota engine, anything else is better.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
In the long run you are better off biting the bullet, and install a block heater. Not to hard to do other than the pain of draining the coolant and putting it back in.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Do you really need a heater? I've had an L3600 a B3200 and now an L3560 and never found a need for a block heater, just waited for the glow plugs to go off and they start right up.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Do you really need a heater? I've had an L3600 a B3200 and now an L3560 and never found a need for a block heater, just waited for the glow plugs to go off and they start right up.
That's been my experience with a Ford, two Kubotas and one Olds. It has been around 0*F here and the only cold-related equipment trouble I had was one very cold day about 25 years ago when I borrowed a tractor from my FIL. The Case I used that day hadn't seen much use since the summer months and still had the non-winterized fuel in its tank. Died in my driveway when the fuel gelled.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I installed a block heater on my previous tractor and the cold weather starts were like starting it on a summer day. Very noticable difference, and short of a heated storage bay nothing beats heating the coolant.
I do occasionally slap several magnetic heaters on the hst, but I doubt the 400w is doing much to 11 gallons of oil.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
In the long run you are better off biting the bullet, and install a block heater. Not to hard to do other than the pain of draining the coolant and putting it back in.
This is definitely the best approach!!
My B7500 will start down to around 0'F but it is much happier if I plug in the block heater for about 30 minutes.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
When I have a motor that doesn't have a block heater and I need to get running I simply use a trouble light with a 100 watt bulb and lay it on the floor the night before, that's as long as your in a garage or shed to stop the wind. I usually put a battery charger on it as well.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I just had a block heater installed on my L3560HSTC in anticipation of the coming winter. I got rid of my plow truck and going 100% with the Kubota. I have been using the Kubota off and on to plow my 1000' gravel driveway and the start-up always sounds like a bucket of bolts and to prevent the wear on the engine, had a block heater put in and will have instant heat and smooth running from the start.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I think I bought my block heater from my Kubota dealer for $50 and it took my 15 minutes to install, including the process of filing the coolant tank that was emptied when I removed the plug from the side of the engine.

On a 0 degree F day, after 60 minutes of warming, the tractor starts as if it is 80 degree F day.

My advise is just get the block heater and be done with it.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Regardless of what you use to warm the engine, keep in mind that only the engine is ready to go. The transmission and hydraulics are still cold and your engine being warm may cause you to start operating the machine normally which is detrimental to the rest of the drivetrain and hydraulic system.

pinstripefan90

Equipment
BX25D, FEL&BH, Piranha tooth bar, Bucket hooks, Pallet forks, Back blade
Sep 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the feed back guys, I will probably just but the block heater from the dealer to be safe but like the last gentleman said the rest of the tractor (driveline/hydraulic wise) is still ice cold.

- Jake

seagullplayer

Aug 23, 2017
Indiana
My garage is lightly insulated but even so, 20 minutes with the torpedo heater gets things warmed pretty well.

That is my plan for this winter anyway. It has always worked with my other equipment.

I used a dip stick heater about 30 years ago. They really are not designed for heating up a cold engine. They work best for a commuter type application. When you get home while the engine is still warm you plug it in. It will help on those really cold mornings. That being said, I only needed it a half dozen times a season here in Southern Indiana, most years...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
To be honest, I have never needed one,, a battery tender yes ,block heater nope,, just turn the key for maybe to the count of 15 for the glow plugs, then
spin it over. And NEVER,NEVER,NEVER EVER use any kind of starting fluid on your Kubota to get it started, these motors do not like starter fluid!!!
I have never had a problem starting mine in the unheated garage, and before that an old barn. Use the right oil and it will spin up, and yes get her started, go back in and have a cup of coffee and a muffin and when you come back out everything will be warmed up and ready to go

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
One other thing you need to consider ......
Make sure you use a diesel fuel treatment like Power Service in the winter months. If you don't then you will be replacing a gelled fuel filter in really cold weather.

BotaLoda

Equipment
BX2370, Loader w/tooth bar, MMM, sub soiler, 5' rake, rear ballast box, forks.
Feb 28, 2017
Cosby, TN
One other thing you need to consider ......
Make sure you use a diesel fuel treatment like Power Service in the winter months. If you don't then you will be replacing a gelled fuel filter in really cold weather.
At what temperature does the possibility of gelling take place?

Last edited: