Charging Battery while Running Tractor

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I use my BX24 almost exclusively as a motorized wheelbarrow for stall cleaning runs to the manure pile. At best I will use it every third day for about a half hour of continuous running at varied rpm's. I make sure with each use to run continuously for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Assuming a new battery, how long of a run/use time of the tractor is needed to be able to put the tractor away with a full charge of the battery?

I am looking into the BatteryMinder, but...

The BX24 still has its original battery, (10+ years old), and still starts ok.
Winters its parked in a heated garage, (the last few years). Occasionally it has been drained to near 0% charge. Example: I looked out the window at the garage and see the flashers blinking. I must have bumped the switch on the dismount? (Wasn't flashing when I locked up)

So I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on a BatteryMinder if I am getting my moneys worth out of a battery.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
In my experience , 10 years on a battery is a miracle so dont change your tecnique IMHO

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I wouldn't expect the battery to "last longer" if you go for the battery tender, but you will be assured of a working battery when you need it right up until the time the battery fails.

Sitting at a low charge stat is about as hard on a battery as you can get. Sulfation starts right in as soon as the charge droops.

I have a battery tender that I move around from tractor to tractor and even my "put up for the winter" motorbike. It's nice to see those flashers flashing.... ;-) The green light on the battery tender is a good sight to see also.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you watch Northern Tool you can get the battery minder plus for 29 dollars. You will probably want the extra ring termination for the battery so you just unplug when using the tractor.

I think the sale just ended but you can ask them if you have one close or order online TODAY if still on sale. The sale will come back in a month or two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One aspect to what you are doing (and may be only applicable on some machines with a dynamo) is to add an extra heat load to the rectifier.

Machines with dynamo's have no method to control the dynamo's output unlike an alternator.

Designers of the tractors put some effort into having the output of the dynamo match the electrical load of the tractor with some left over for battery charging.

When you connect a charger/tender to the battery, especially with the key on, the rectifier is now having to manage a higher current load to keep the battery voltage within design limits. The only way the rectifier can do this is by turning excess amps into heat.

I have seem rectifiers give up after trying to get rid of excess heat over a long period of time.

Some swear by their battery tender but some don't understand what else is going on

Dave

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'd go back to the dealer and but a OEM Kubota battery some time before winter. 10 years service is very good, so see if you can get 10 more from the new one.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I'd go back to the dealer and buy a OEM Kubota battery some time before winter.
That's the plan. I'll buy an OEM Kubota battery from my local dealer. I'm just curious as to how long I need to run the tractor each time I use it to keep a full charge on the battery.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
That's the plan. I'll buy an OEM Kubota battery from my local dealer. I'm just curious as to how long I need to run the tractor each time I use it to keep a full charge on the battery.
Kubota does NOT make batteries.

They buy them.

There is no such thing as a Kubota battery. Unless you believe stickers/

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Kubota does NOT make batteries.

They buy them.

There is no such thing as a Kubota battery. Unless you believe stickers/
They don't make them, but they source them from overseas (Korea / Japan) and for some reason they outlast any replacement battery you buy here. My 2002 L4310 had the original battery and it finally died this summer. 16 years! And my tractor sits outside under a carport style roof in cold NH winters. It also sits for weeks without being operated. I have never used a tender or had to charge it.

Of course, I went to the dealer and asked for another Kubota battery. They told me they can get them but they are very expensive and although they say Kubota on them, they are not that same as what is installed from the factory. The dealer told me they always see better longevity from the original batteries, but 16 years was more than he had ever seen. I ended up buying an Interstate battery for $140 with 800CCA off the dealer's shelf.

My 2013 B2920 lives the same life...of course it is on the original battery and I expect many more years from it I just bought a 2018 MX4800 and expect at least 10 years from that battery. The dealer thought maybe the chemicals used / lead used in the overseas battery would not be legal to be made in this country for environmental reasons but supposed they helped the batteries last longer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a battery story, but I'm not going to tell it here because you guys would think I fell off the turnip truck!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I have a battery story, but I'm not going to tell it here because you guys would think I fell off the turnip truck!
What makes you think we don't already think that! :p

What's the story?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Probably what you distilled from the turnips gives that effect!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
They don't make them, but they source them from overseas (Korea / Japan) and for some reason they outlast any replacement battery you buy here.
My battery on my B2320 lasted about 6 months. The dealer replaced it no charge of course after testing it....or trying to. Kind of good that Kubota batteries are warranted the same as the tractor rather than like a battery usually is.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ok, I'll tell ya. About two years ago I saw something that caught my attention and I ended up buying 2ea 12V desulfators on Ebay. I received them, opened the box, looked at them an put them on a shelf where I keep some books.

Months pass and I discover them there when looking for something else. I decided to see if they work.

I had an Interstate battery rated at 550 CCA that both battery meters showed not good. I had cleaned the battery, added water, and charged for some time. One specifically showed like 140 CCA. I put it in a scrap area to trade in for a core. It sat outside for about 5 months including one winter.

I put a slow charger on the battery for a couple of days. Then connected the desulfator and left the charger connected. I checked the CCA every 6/7 days, and the numbers kept coming up. After about a month it was reading 480 CCA.

I needed to transplant a pretty good sized bush and wanted to use my trencher/backhoe instead of a shovel. Trencher had not been fired up for a couple of months and I didn't have a battery in it. I took this Interstate, hooked it up and the engine fired right off. Had the machine running for about 1 hr.

When finished I took the battery back out and put back on the charger with the desulfator. Few weeks later I need a battery for my skidsteer. Do the same thing. I tested with the same meter and it showed 510 CCA at that time. It is currently in the skidsteer, and fires it off like a brand new battery.

I've done this same procedure to two other batteries in not quite the down condition and it seems to make a big difference in these batteries lives.

I don't understand why or how, I just know at the price of batteries these days if a $20 gizzmo extends their life.....I'll try just about anything!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
D2CAT,
Thanks for sharing!
I have six 6v batteries in my EZGO industrial cart. I bought them new 6/7 years ago. I've nowhere near cycled them enough to use up their life. They still work, but they won't hold a charge for long. You've given me hope to try and bring them back. A new set of batteries is $700. How about a picture or name of the desulfator?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I've "read about" battery rejuvenation based on dumping the electrolyte, washing out the sulfation products at the bottom of the plates, and then putting the acid back in.

Some make up electrolyte is required.

I wonder if the "electro-magic" version doesn't just displace enough sulfation sediment to reverse the shorting effect it causes.