Changing L3400 Fuel Filter

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I will be changing my fuel filter in the near future and looking for any advice I can get. The Operator's Manual says if the tank is less then half full it won't keep running when removing the fuel bowl. There does not appear to be any valve on the fuel line, any way to isolate the filter bowl assembly, or recharge the fuel line and bowl with fuel after the filter change. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not exactly sure about your model but I'll pass this tip along. After my first service I saw a huge problem with my fuel system. No inline fuel cutoff. I bought one at the local auto parts and when it came time for the next service ran the fuel level down real low, cut the line and installed a shut off. It's been a life saver ever since. Now during filter changes I can have a full tank and it's very easy to get fuel back to the filters and pump.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
You need the hillbilly fuel valve. It's got the flexible rubber fuel line right? Get a Visegrips and put it on the hose and screw down the adjuster screw of the Visegrips till it pinches the hose down and you can turn it no more. Open up the jaws, turn the screw 1/2 turn more and close it up. This will shut it off to change the cartridge.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
You need the hillbilly fuel valve. It's got the flexible rubber fuel line right? Get a Visegrips and put it on the hose and screw down the adjuster screw of the Visegrips till it pinches the hose down and you can turn it no more. Open up the jaws, turn the screw 1/2 turn more and close it up. This will shut it off to change the cartridge.
Thank God for vise grips and duct tape.;)

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
When I changed my fuel filter on my l3400 I was surprised that there is a shut off valve on that filter. If the tank fuel level is high the vent line will feed into the fuel filter assembly causing a constant flow into the assembly. I felt that Kubota made the system a lot easier with this system. :):)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Birddogger,,thats funny cause thats the first thing that popped in to my head too,, Must be a Burgh thang,,lol

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Update:

There is an automatic fuel control valve above the fuel filter that shuts the supply off once the filter bowl is removed. It is a little piston driven sensor similar to a fridge light switch. An excellent idea from Kubota!

semibogus

Equipment
L 3400 HST, chipper, fork, back hoe, dumper, blade
May 30, 2010
ontario
this filter has two orings, a small one and a large one. They do not come with the filter and I have apparently lost the large one. Can someone please tell me where it goes on thefilter. The manual shows it below the filter but that does not compute in my wee brain.

Help please! I am dripping.

Ian

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
this filter has two orings, a small one and a large one. They do not come with the filter and I have apparently lost the large one. Can someone please tell me where it goes on thefilter. The manual shows it below the filter but that does not compute in my wee brain.

Help please! I am dripping.

Ian
Once you put the filter back into the plastic bulb it should be pretty self explanatory where it goes, the big O'RING acts like a seal between the plastic bulb and where it screws onto the fuel filter assembly. hope this helps.

I recently changed my fuel filter on my L3800DT, The way i did it was:

1. pulled fuel line off of fuel filter assembly and stuck a 5/16 bolt in the fuel line to stop the fuel from leaking.

2. Unscrewed clear plastic bulb and swapped out filters.

3. Re-installed O'RINGS and screwed plastic bulb back to assembly.

4. Reinstalled fuel line to assembly.

5. Opened fuel air knob counter clockwise, started and ran tractor for 30sec and shut tractor off, then closed air knob valve. Its been running good ever since.

FYI when pulling the fuel filter bulb off make sure you dont lose the little O'RING or the big O'RING, there is not new ones in the new fuel filter box that you got from the dealer.

semibogus

Equipment
L 3400 HST, chipper, fork, back hoe, dumper, blade
May 30, 2010
ontario
Ok perfect, thank you. I put an oversized ring in the top as described and the dripping has stopped. New right sized rings on the way by mail.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I recently changed my fuel filter on my L3800DT, The way i did it was:

1. pulled fuel line off of fuel filter assembly and stuck a 5/16 bolt in the fuel line to stop the fuel from leaking.

2. Unscrewed clear plastic bulb and swapped out filters.

3. Re-installed O'RINGS and screwed plastic bulb back to assembly.

4. Reinstalled fuel line to assembly.

5. Opened fuel air knob counter clockwise, started and ran tractor for 30sec and shut tractor off, then closed air knob valve. Its been running good ever since.
Or, as was previously posted, since the L3800 has auto fuel shut-off:
1. Unscrew housing
2. Remove and replace filter element
3. Screw housing back in
4. Watch it auto-fill
5. Start tractor and go about your business

nacl9163

Equipment
L3400 FEL bush hog auger
Oct 28, 2014
Esmont VA
Yes, you have to be REALLY careful with the O-rings, especially the first time you change the filter. They can drop off and you don't realize they're missing until the filter won't seat without leaking, and then when you do realize, trying to find them is no fun. Ask me how I know.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My question. Why change the fuel filter. On my small BX for some reason I have to frequently due to it becoming quite plugged up. I blame this on the relatively small area of the filters. Otherwise, if the machine runs fine, why?

I also have two blue tractors of 20 and also 27 HP. The 20 HP is 24 years old with only 1500 hours and the 27 HP is lesser age and 3,000 hours. Neither of these have ever slowed in power due to fuel filter plugging, so no changes so far. Both have had varied work areas, from grass and bush hog mowing to snow plowing. Screens on radiator get lots of stuff at times. The air filters have dust removed at the usual oil change schedules.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you are excessively changing filters, you might have an issue with your fuel or your fuel tank cap.

I tend to change them with every oil change the engine gets. They are cheap enough to buy and clean filters mean good fuel delivery even at max demand.