Changing dust boot on tie rod - MX5100

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
Well I have all of 3 hours on my machine in one weekend and managed to hit something on the cover that is suppose to protect the tie rod/power steering rod. Put a nice dent in it which proceeded to tear the dust boot. I don't even know what I hit but I was in the woods pushing some sizable dead fall to clear a way for my ATV to get through. Anyone have advice on the proper way to change this boot? I was thinking raise the front end with the loader and support axle with jack stand. Loosen jam nut and unscrew the tie rod from the tie rod end, slip old boot off and put new boot on (...and hope there's no significant damage underneath the boot). I didn't have time to look underneath today but there certainly wasn't anything wrong with the steering while I was operating and didn't have fluid squirting out - no scored piston - so I suppose it should be alright.

HP

Last edited:

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Sometimes things happen.
Here is the blow-up from the parts manual, maybe it will help. Looks like the boot is 35080-44680.

Good luck
Wxman

Attachments

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Chances are if you tore it up once, you will tear it up again. If I ever replace mine, I will add either a guard or place a heavy piece of radiator hose on the tie rod to protect it. Right now I am not inclined to fix mine. We ran our CX80 for years without one without any apparent harm.

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
Thanks for the replies. I really can't leave it cut and just flush with grease every once in a while - it's just not in my nature. I already have a new boot and shield ordered. I was able to find all the parts listed through one of the on-line vendors.

I can experiment with the old shield to weld up something that would provide more protection.

HP

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks for the replies. I really can't leave it cut and just flush with grease every once in a while - it's just not in my nature. I already have a new boot and shield ordered. I was able to find all the parts listed through one of the on-line vendors.

I can experiment with the old shield to weld up something that would provide more protection.

HP
I can identify with that. I have worked around and on farm equipment most of my life and have learned to live with things like torn boots; not saying I should, just that I do.

Changing it out is pretty straightforward, very similar to that on a car or pickup. Search You Tube and it will show you where to hit to break it loose without using a pickle fork as the fork usually tears up another boot.

If I ever get caught up, I will swap mine out this winter and either add stiff rubber flaps on or put a heater hose over it for protection. Using metal will reduce your turning radius.

Good luck.