Chainsaw safety

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
“And please…Stay Safe.”, final words of the girl in the Stihl video.

That is a universal but almost worthless statement used in every Industry and Sport. It is meaningless.

BUT…. I would like to have someone take a pic Please…. of your working-position in which your thigh or leg is at hazard while using a chainsaw … I was taugtht in Boy Scouts how to handle an axe and a saw safely. We were taught to keep another log or limb as a “blocker” between the cutting-tool and the body. There’s simply no way that I can imagine my leg or thigh or foot being at-risk while sawing wood with any type chainsaw.

I also don’t understand Stihl’s warning about “electric or battery” powered chain saws having more “torque”. I can only imagine they are thinking of the centrifugal clutch of the gas-powered saws…which allow the chain to not move during idling. That is the only situation in which an electric saw still has the ability to cut….at extremely-slow chain speed during “run-down” as the trigger is released…. but at that speed there is little hazard to kickback or danger, and the electric saw chains are stationary UNLESS the trigger is pulled.

This post is a genuine request for someone to illustrate how the chainsaw was held when a leg, thigh, or arm was at-risk.

Finally, the Most Dangerous moment of chainsaw useage is if/when the TIP of the blade is allowed to contact the work…which can result in “kick-back” and rotate the saw toward the operator.
If using an electric saw…THAT might be a situation more-hazardous than with a gas-saw because most electric saws do not have a “kill-bar” to stop the chain….they usually have only a heavy-duty “guard” to catch the wrist and stop the saw/body from rotating far-enough to strike the operator. (This would be a gas saw advantage -point, IMO.)

Last edited:

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
...This post is a genuine request for someone to illustrate how the chainsaw was held when a leg, thigh, or arm was at-risk...
I've pondered that too. It's not obvious. I keep the saw positioned so it couldn't hit my leg, as long as things go as I plan. I suppose that a human with perfect situaltional awareness wouldn't need chaps. That's not me!

I recognize, partucularly when limbing a downed tree on a slope, that branches can be stressed and cause the branch and saw to move in a way I didn't forsee. Or, I can lose my footing/balance and move in a way not foreseen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
“And please…Stay Safe.”, final words of the girl in the Stihl video.

That is a universal but almost worthless statement used in every Industry and Sport. It is meaningless.

BUT…. I would like to have someone take a pic Please…. of your working-position in which your thigh or leg is at hazard while using a chainsaw … I was taugtht in Boy Scouts how to handle an axe and a saw safely. We were taught to keep another log or limb as a “blocker” between the cutting-tool and the body. There’s simply no way that I can imagine my leg or thigh or foot being at-risk while sawing wood with any type chainsaw.

I also don’t understand Stihl’s warning about “electric or battery” powered chain saws having more “torque”. I can only imagine they are thinking of the centrifugal clutch of the gas-powered saws…which allow the chain to not move during idling. That is the only situation in which an electric saw still has the ability to cut….at extremely-slow chain speed during “run-down” as the trigger is released…. but at that speed there is little hazard to kickback or danger, and the electric saw chains are stationary UNLESS the trigger is pulled.

This post is a genuine request for someone to illustrate how the chainsaw was held when a leg, thigh, or arm was at-risk.

Finally, the Most Dangerous moment of chainsaw useage is if/when the TIP of the blade is allowed to contact the work…which can result in “kick-back” and rotate the saw toward the operator.
If using an electric saw…THAT might be a situation more-hazardous than with a gas-saw because most electric saws do not have a “kill-bar” to stop the chain….they usually have only a heavy-duty “guard” to catch the wrist and stop the saw/body from rotating far-enough to strike the operator. (This would be a gas saw advantage -point, IMO.)

I don't wear my PPE for when I am doing everything correctly, like they taught you in the Scouts. I wear mine for that time where I have a "brain fart".

I don't have a picture of the time I screwed up with a chainsaw, but it was when I was bringing the saw to my side after making a cut, and my arm was tired and I "grazed" my thigh. Again I can't "show you", but the stats that I have seen (although older) are that ~26,000 chainsaw accidents are reported every year and the average number of stiches required to sew them up, is north of 100, so clearly it does happen.

From everything I have seen so far, the "electric chainsaw" thing is a myth. Tons of videos out there showing that the pants/chaps stop them, but maybe there is something I don't understand.

Edit: But I do see your point about the phrase "stay safe" LOL.....Like when my wife says "drive safe". I mean what does she think I'm gonna do? Purposely get into an accident? (yes I get the irony of that last sentence) 😂

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have Labonville chaps, kevlar boots, wear a helmet, eye/ear pro and gloves. Still dangerous. Also have a tourniquet on my felling belt rig.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think I’ll add some Calamine Lotion and Benadryl to my belt…..

(those are the recommended First Aid treatments for the only accidents I’ve suffered using a chainsaw.)

I Do Wear H.D. Gloves and eye-protection…. No longer need hearing-protection since I’ve gone electric.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
It's pretty funny to watch a feller who rarely ever operates a saw. They try to do everything right and keep their bodies well out of harms way, to the point it looks very uncomfortable. OTOH, some of us guys operate saws for many hours every week and we become so comfortable to them that it's equivalent to an accountant picking up a ball point pen. I think it's this comfortness that often lead to accidents. You should see when I go into trail clearing mode - you would think I was running a lightsaber and not a chainsaw...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well if stay safe, is a useless statement,, just work like a fool, do stupid shit, loose and arm a leg or worse bleed out before you can get help. Like I said get complaisant, get hurt or worse!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have Labonville chaps, kevlar boots, wear a helmet, eye/ear pro and gloves. Still dangerous. Also have a tourniquet on my felling belt rig.
Great call on the labonvilles…I see your Labonvilles, and raise you a protection dog.😉. I have a very similar safety kit plus a GSD….all in good fun…I have labonville chaps and boots. I did not care for their boots and now am using HAIX. They are pretty solid and a lot better ankle support.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have my personal ambulance to take me to the hospital should the need arise. I rarely use my gas-powered chain saw, and my DeWalt battery-operated chain saw is only good for small limbs.

IMG_6902.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well if stay safe, is a useless statement,, just work like a fool, do stupid shit, loose and arm a leg or worse bleed out before you can get help. Like I said get complaisant, get hurt or worse!
The only way to “stay safe” in life…. is to be a bored simpleton in an asylum while wearing a face-mask, condom and butt-plug.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Life is full of dangers, some we have no control over, and others we do not, staying safe coves what YOU can do to stay safe, meaning dont be stupid.
The unknown dangers lurk when we do not follow simple rules, like look before crossing the street, unplug the lamp before you work on it, turn the mower off before you stick your hand under the deck. YOU are the first line of being safe if you choose not to be, maybe we'll see you on the other side, maybe not

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The only way to “stay safe” in life…. is to be a bored simpleton in an asylum while wearing a face-mask, condom and butt-plug.
Wow that took an unexpected turn.....From "Chainsaw Pants" directly to "Butt-plugs".

Not even dinner and a kiss first........

I wanna poke out my "minds eye" right now. 😂 😂 😂 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Log piles can be very dangerous while operating a chainsaw.

Lots of folks will buy a tri-axle load and pick away at it near the house. Often there's a pile of unsaleable scrag wood/logs left after a timber harvest.

Lots of opportunities for kickback if you don't pay attention to the nose of the bar and hit nearby logs.

The pile can also get unstable as you cut from it, and cause the pile to collapse with rolling logs.

No PPE will save you here. Best to pull logs down and work on the ground, as tempting as it is to cut at a more comfortable height.

Know a person that had the pile roll down, and was crushed and killed by the rolling logs.

Very much a veteran cutter, he was working alone and before cell phones. He was on a remote log landing cutting firewood from scrag. He's was likely alive for quite a while before he succumbed to his injuries.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That's pretty cool, is that yours?
Yes, I have owned it for a little over 20 years. Being a retired EMT I collected ambulances. I had 3 others, but with a shortage of space, I decided to sell them. This is the smallest of the 4 and that is why I kept this one. It will fit into a normal garage.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Lots of opportunities for kickback if you don't pay attention to the nose of the bar and hit nearby logs.
^^^^

Agreed. 'Kickback' (which can occur in more than one way) is what accounts for most head/face and upper extremity injuries.

Can happen to anyone regardless your experience level but most commonly happens to the novice/homeowner, not familiar with the danger.

The UPPER 1/2 of the bar is the area you most want to keep from contacting anything.

kickback danger zone.jpg

Often times a person will be cutting a limb/log and have the tip of the bar contact a piece of wood behind what they are cutting. Kickbacks happen FAST and can be powerful. If your saw has a chain brake and you are lucky....it 'might' be engaged when the saw recoils into your support hand.

Using the tip of the saw is perfectly fine IF you understand how to use it and use ONLY the lower portion of it. It is necessary when making plunge/bore cuts, something I do regularly when felling certain trees (particularly leaners). But you need to learn how to 'roll' the tip in.

I'd wager the vast majority of other chainsaw accidents occur when the operator gets tired. I'm sure carelessness or inattention come into play as well.

Everyone should have a deep respect for chainsaws. They are unforgiving when they contact flesh.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since you always want to pass on your bits of wisdom, is this from personal experience?

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Since you always want to pass on your bits of wisdom, is this from personal experience?
I knew someone was going to embark on that one…. LOL