Chains?

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
Looks great. Could not ask for better considering that most chains need adjusted to fit the tires they are used on...

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity! And maybe others' as well.
Thanks Henro. I had to remove about 2/3 of a hexagon to make them work but it went pretty smooth. I have some spare parts now : )

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
National Weather Service is predicting a lot of snow the next 48 hours. Just in time to put the new Skid Pro plow through its paces.
C2A3DF1A-836A-4A25-8D9A-2048CE8C76E1.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't forget to back the tractor into the barn, otherwise, you are going to be backing it out over a lot of snow. I learned years ago to back cars into the garage and the same with the tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
Just an update. Very happy with the chains and the Skid-pro plow. We did get hammered with 18-20" of snow over two days. I've never had chains before, what a difference. I was able to back up a hill running the rear blower. Before I could only run the blower going down the hill. Put some rubber stall mats down to protect the floor in the shop.

Bill in the U.P.

Equipment
L4630 GST
Dec 31, 2020
Michigan
Quick question on tire pressure. I helped a buddy load a log, maybe 28" diameter today. I noticed front "drivers side" tire was low. I had a compressor and no gauge so I just added air till it looked "full." I put the tractor in the shop after and checked front tire pressure. It was 26.5 psi on the one I added air to. The other tire pressure was 27.5 psi. I have never added air to my tires (or even checked them) so I was surprised when I checked the manual and it recommends 20 psi for the front tires (10 - 16.5) even though the sidewall of the tire says 60 pounds max psi. Is running 26 or 27 too much pressure then?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Quick question on tire pressure. I helped a buddy load a log, maybe 28" diameter today. I noticed front "drivers side" tire was low. I had a compressor and no gauge so I just added air till it looked "full." I put the tractor in the shop after and checked front tire pressure. It was 26.5 psi on the one I added air to. The other tire pressure was 27.5 psi. I have never added air to my tires (or even checked them) so I was surprised when I checked the manual and it recommends 20 psi for the front tires (10 - 16.5) even though the sidewall of the tire says 60 pounds max psi. Is running 26 or 27 too much pressure then?
Pressure is always a compromise, the surface you are running on, possible sharp objects, ride, ease of steering and tire wear are some of the considerations. As long as you stay below 60 psi or the wheel rating, you are safe. Usually the recommendation in the manual is a good starting point.

Reactions: 1 users

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Bill, don't forget chain tighteners over the rims. They can help to keep things from shifting too much. Great job on the install and great price, too.

Reactions: 1 user

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I did a couple of searches on here about chains. I have a hilly mile of dirt and gravel drive to keep open here in Northern Michigan. We had a heavy and dense 12" drop last Saturday. I pulled the trigger on a 7' blade for the front that is scheduled to arrive mid-January. I have a snow pusher on the front now and a 7' blower on the rear of my L4630 GST. I couldn't make it up one of my hills Saturday and got stuck a couple of times. I want to order some rear chains and could use some advice about getting a set of duo H grip chains or the more aggressive (and expensive) doo H grip with V bar? I have not used chains before. Will the "standard" chains do or does it sound like I need more aggressive V bar chains. Thanks for any feedback.

https://www.tractortirechains.com/Tractor-Tire-Chain-DUO-p/duo263.htm

What type of tires you running?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Looks like R14s in the rears. What is that strange contraption in front of the door in the picture?