Chains on 4x4 Front Wheels

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
So can you or shouldn't you use chains on the front tires of sub-compact Kubota tractors?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So can you or shouldn't you use chains on the front tires of sub-compact Kubota tractors?
O you can do it, but should not - several have and it works fine, but the strain on the front end is a bit more excessive that you want to pay for later. In a 4wd system - you do want some wheel slippage, chains will provide too much grip and not allow the tires to spin just a little when under bind.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would avoid chains, too easy to damage things and very little real gain.

I personally have foam filled front tires, so I have my fronts studded for Ice and snow use.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I run them on the front and rear of my B7100 tractors. I have done it this way for years. I use my truck for most of the plowing on tar. The tractors I use with either a rear blower or loader to clear other areas and push back snow banks. If I am on tar I only use 2 wheel drive. I am not saying you should do it, just it works for me and is necessary for some of the snow clearing I need to do.

dholt53

Sep 29, 2015
Gasburg
I plow with a L35 and. Only run chains on the rear and in 2wd as much as possible . The front gears are half the size of the rears so they are weaker .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
Thanks everyone for the advice! Looks like I'll plan to avoid front tire chains.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Babying a tractor by not using front wheel chains is OK for the worry warts. However, if the maker of the tractor didn't make it strong though for all sorts of extra loads not usually recommended, I'd not buy it. As yet with varying makes of tractors and use of front wheel chains, I have never had or even heard of a failure due to that usage. I have had some damage when the chains didn't fit right and damaged the boot on the tie rod, but that was my fault, not the maker.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I have a bx 2200 and the service manager at my local dealer told me not to run chains on the front at all and definitely not to chain all four.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If you plow snow like my old supervisor,front chains would make no difference whatsoever. Front wheels were always in the air. I dont mean just off the ground, way up in the air and cranked all way to right or left.

Winter before last i spent 6-8 hours a day clearing snow at least once a week.
It was a brutal winter. That being said, the L4610 Hst with industrial tires did just fine without chains. Including snowdrifts and deep snow i only had to paddle myself out a few times.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've been tempted, and REALLY don't think I would damage anything during the winter. Like these guys said, only use 4WD when necessary.

But with that said - ain't takin' the chance.:p

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Front and rear v-bar here. Only one year for me, but dad has the same setup for more than a dozen years. Tractors aren't made of balsa wood.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

emmett518

Equipment
Deere 310L Backhoe loader. Gravely L1, and 16G.
Jul 26, 2021
Massachusetts

Think about this.

When you have a bucket full of gravel, or sand, or dirt, the weight in that bucket is incredible. All of that weight is mostly on the front tires / hubs / axles. The axle has to drive, turn and brake with that huge amount of weight.

Snow or even slush weights much less than gravel. There is not much chance that snow is going to stress a front end any worse than gravel. Just don't drive like an idiot.

I did call my local Kubota dealer, and they said they run fronts, and have seen no issues.